Safest way to send iPhone?

I have once got a claim for INR on the last cellphone I sold so I'm being extra careful with this.

I just sold a parts only iPhone and the paypal address was listed in the USA. The address listed in eBay is different and in Canada. I emailed the seller and asked which was correct. He said to send it the CDN address (listed in eBay) and politely requested to refund the difference of the shipping by sending regular parcel.  The shipping for Canada and USA was $15 flat and the ad says "will be shipped with tracking."  Does regular parcel in Canada even offer tracking? I'm a bit suspicious of this buyer's intent. He mentioned he had a box in the USA for picking up items.. I just want to cover my butt in all angles. The sale price was $80 + $15 shipping. 

So, if I am shipping to the eBay address, instead of the PayPal address what are the liability's on that?

Any tips or tricks from other sellers like, only give up the restore password after item is received?

What can I do make sure this doesn't end up being scammed and what can I do to prevent absolutely everything?

Thank you

Sent from my Ipod Shuffle
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

To be eligible for seller protection you have to ship to the address that is associated with the payment. When you click on the paypal transaction it should say what that address is.  I've sent items to other addresses when requested to do so but since iphone and iphone parts are higher risk than what I sell, I'm not sure that I would do that in this situation. You could refund and cancel and ask them to purchase again with the correct address although that does seem like such a pain for the customer. You could also refund and then ask them to pay with the Cdn address. I'm not sure how that would work from a defect point of view.   Or you can take the chance and send it to the second address. You might want to look at the feedback that the buyer has given and received and see if there are any red flags.

Use expedited shipping through Paypal as it is less expensive than regular parcel. Both have tracking but expedited includes insurance.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

The address listed in eBay is different and in Canada. I emailed the seller and asked which was correct. He said to send it the CDN address (listed in eBay)

It is not unusual for a member to have different eBay and Paypal addresses.

However, you do have to ship to the PP address for Seller Protection. Ask the buyer to add that 'gift address' to his PP account, and politely explain that this will save him trouble in future. (Always try to show the benefit to the buyer.)

Yes Canada Post Regular Parcel has tracking built in. No worries there.

You can ever add Signature Confirmation for $1.50 and that might be comforting to you.

politely requested to refund the difference of the shipping by sending regular parcel.

You don't have to, but if the difference is noticeable, it would be both polite and politic. It'seasy to look up the cost of domestic shipping if you have the weight and the Canada Post website.

If you print the shipping label through Paypal, you will get a discount from the PO counter price of the Regular Parcel label.

This of course is another reason for him to put his Canadian address on his PP account.

what can I do to prevent absolutely everything?

Prayer?

Check his feedback left for others. Any mention of 'problems resolved' or 'cooperative seller' would be at least a pink flag if not a red one.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

With VentureOne you automatically get upgraded to Expedited that has tracking and insurance. Odds are the cost is not going to be much different from the $15 flat, particularly if the customer lives way down east.

Some CDN customers forget to select their Canadian address when buying from Canada.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Femme...there's no discount on Paypal for regular parcel, only for expedited. That's why expedited ends up being less expensive than regular.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

^^^ What PJ says.
Photobucket
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Plus Expedited Parcel has $100 insurance included in the price (saves $2.20) and has a guaranteed delivery time of 8 days or less withing most locations in Canada. If not delivered in time, you can make claim with Canada Post to get your shipping cost back. And Canada Post is late often enough to make checking when it was delivered worth the time spent.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thanks guys!

I rarely use PP labels, since I have a pretty good source of discount postage stamps that give me an even better discount.

I appreciate that they are a good choice for many eBayers though.

Know anybody who wants about five pounds of five cent stamps?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Know anybody who wants about five ponds of five cent stamps?

LOL! No but I'm looking for some one or two dollar ones! Got any?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply