Sales are taking a beating....views are down and offers..

I have switched over half of my auctions since the notice almost 2 months ago,from us$ to can$$ , and my page views, my watchers are all down substantially, my offers are coming in much fewer than normal..however my canada traffic is still about the same, with the same amount of sales..so why am i not getting the usa hits like normal?? i usually average 3 sales per day, but that has dropped off to less than 1.. and i am averaging year over year,, and comparing month to month as well..i can't help but blame that i am getting less visibility than normal..i don't want to blame it on the dollar change, but really, why am i getting almost zero us buyers.. come on ebay explain it to me..i want my usa buyers to come back,, i was selling 90 items a month now it is less than 65,, for what reason could it be, other than the usa buyers don't want to see a conversion of canada to usa prices..i know this will fall on deaf ears. did the studies you did, also include the usa and what currency they would prefer to buy in .. probably not..

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

my sales are almost non existant this month although i sell different items as you, im more in the antique clollectables in manny different categories i havnt changed to canadian dollars yet so i went from 35 sales to a dozen and i cant explain it maybe ebay is dieing seems like ,really not to sure????

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

just some further proof, my sell through rate has dropped to about 18-19% where i have always held steady at 30%.. i am just not getting the usa buyers i once did..

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Just want to add my experience with $C vs.$US as a buyer.

I've been buying in American dollars on eBay for almost 15 years and the vast majority of those purchases have been in $US.

Now I have a purchase in $C and it's a real PITA.

My paypal funds are in US and trying to pay for this is making me uneasy because I've always bought and sold in $US.  It's what I know because that's the way the system was set up.

It seems to me that I'm getting billed much more than I should be and I regret the purchase.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

I switched half of my listing in CAN, and getting angry emails from US buyers, why prices / numbers shows differently. They can see both currency and when they have to pay for their orders, it shows as $33.45 ($43.00). Why it's $43 dollars, instead of $33?

I have to explain- because I listed in Canadian currency, but they have to pay only 33 US. Probably it's too complicated for them. Ugh... 

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

US dollar is the currency of choice for eBay.

Why is eBay doing this? A variety of scenarios. Perhaps they are trying to kill ca with bad decisions and neglect? Is this an experiment to see if a single currency in a single country is sustainable? Are they going to pump a lot of effort into ca to try to make it work?

Do not blame Americans for not understanding currency exchange, majority of Canadians do not understand it either.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@goldnideas wrote:

I switched half of my listing in CAN, and getting angry emails from US buyers, why prices / numbers shows differently. They can see both currency and when they have to pay for their orders, it shows as $33.45 ($43.00). Why it's $43 dollars, instead of $33?

I have to explain- because I listed in Canadian currency, but they have to pay only 33 US. Probably it's too complicated for them. Ugh... 

I'm Canadian and I'm finding it a PITA so I can imagine what it's like for Americans.

I regularly buy items listed via the British pound but that's not an issue because it's always been that way.

US$ vs C$ is frustrating to deal with.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

If you want US customers, my suggestion is to list in USD on .com. I've always listed in USD, but switching to .com addresses cart issues which are a huge turn off for US customers that tend to buy more than 1 item at a time from sellers. I literally cut the number of problematic/help required transactions from a large % to none, while garnering significantly more than usual net new customers. Unless you sell a good percentage of your items to Canada AND require calculated shipping via Canada Post, you will likely be better off on .com if you sell a good percentage of your items to US buyers.

That being said, I've found summer to be seasonally slow the last 3 years. June and July are also typically slow months for national retailers as well.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

I bought an item from a Canadian seller listed in $C but only have $US in my PP account.

Since I had the option of using a CC directly I decided to do that thinking it would be processed in $C, but it still went through in $US.

I don't know if I was charged conversion fees or not because the bill was in $C but it automatically kicked the payment over to $US.

The whole transaction feels like it's a mess.  The seller wasn't able to send a revised invoice because she didn't know how, so she suggested I pay and she would refund $15.

Also, the seller might get confused when she tries to refund C$15 vs US$15.

Just Sayin': There are problems with this business of $US vs $C for buyers as well as sellers accustomed to the $US system.  It's all over the place.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

I will be finished converting my USD listings to CDN this weekend. My watchers and views have declined by 50% and sales are down. I understand that watchers doesn't mean sales but I'm getting a very bad feeling in my gut about this.

Once again Ebay thank-you for screwing over the most important segment...THE SELLERS!

No more negative feedback = terrible

No more Ebay bucks for Canadians = terrible

No more US$ for Canadian sellers = terrible

Next will be an increase in fees to make up for the lost income to Ebay because FVF on sales will be much lower!

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I bought an item from a Canadian seller listed in $C but only have $US in my PP account.

Since I had the option of using a CC directly I decided to do that thinking it would be processed in $C, but it still went through in $US.

I don't know if I was charged conversion fees or not because the bill was in $C but it automatically kicked the payment over to $US.

The whole transaction feels like it's a mess.  The seller wasn't able to send a revised invoice because she didn't know how, so she suggested I pay and she would refund $15.

Just Sayin': There are problems with this business of $US vs $C for buyers as well as sellers accustomed to the $US system.  It's all over the place.

That's the thing, isn't it. The nerd kids in IT put this together and "Oh, we didn't think of that. Oh, didn't think of that either. Oh, Canada is not a state. Oh, what do we do now. Oh, well we messed this up".

Photobucket
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@sylviebee wrote:

I'm confused by your post as it doesn't make sense that the listing was in $C and the payment was made in $US to a Canadian credit card. If that actually happened then you should phone Paypal.  Also, why would the seller owe you money? Are you saying that the item was C$50 on the listing but you were charged US$50?   Is that what your credit card online statement tells you?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@sylviebee wrote:

That's the thing, isn't it. The nerd kids in IT put this together and "Oh, we didn't think of that. Oh, didn't think of that either. Oh, Canada is not a state. Oh, what do we do now. Oh, well we messed this up".

What do you mean? It's not like listing and paying in Canadian dollars is a new thing...some buyers and sellers have been doing that for years. 

Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I'm confused by your post as it doesn't make sense that the listing was in $C and the payment was made in $US to a Canadian credit card. If that actually happened then you should phone Paypal.  Also, why would the seller owe you money? Are you saying that the item was C$50 on the listing but you were charged US$50?   Is that what your credit card online statement tells you?

The seller owes me money because she had agreed to ship for $10 and billed $25.  She didn't know how to send a new invoice and no amount of explaining could get though to her.

She requested that I pay and she'd send a refund after I'd paid.

You're confused by the process I described above because it was in fact confusing and a mish-mash of currencies from start to finish.

This wasn't my first Canadian purchase, but it's the first time it kept bouncing back and forth between $C and $US for no apparent reason.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Ebay is full of bugs and technical issues today again!

Message 15 of 26
latest reply

@dutchman48 wrote:

Ebay is full of bugs and technical issues today again!

Again? Again implies some sort of cessation and then a resumption.

Photobucket
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

Hi,

I just got one two days ago:

the price listed on the item listing and the item description is different $53.08 on the item screen but your price is$75.99 on your actual listing why?

I suspect that if one person bothered to ask, ten others couldn't be bothered; they just moved on.

My sales have dropped to almost nothing since switching to Canadian dollars.  What a mess.

Message 17 of 26
latest reply

If you were selling something that could be shipped Flat Rate....

Hmm.

Actually.

You are shipping from Canada and some (but not all) parcel rates are the same all across the USA.

Ditto International.

You could, if you want to spend some time massaging your shipping costs, list on dotCOM in US dollars and use Flat Rate Shipping for USA and for Overseas.

You might not want to ship to Canada at all in this scenario, because of the varying parcel rates.

Thinkoutise the box.jpg

Message 18 of 26
latest reply

If you're listing in CAD that's the problem. US buyers don't understand what's going on and think they can't buy.
Summer months are generally slower sales everywhere and I think we're getting screwed even when we list in USD but that's probably your biggest issue right now
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since  you are going to Las Vegas, ask them why force us to convert from US to Canada on eBay.ca,  why not let us have our choice of currency?

Message 20 of 26
latest reply