Sales dropped off a cliff on Friday.

I have been selling quite well for July, at least 2 or 3 a day, so far 30 sales up to Thursday July 13.  Now nothing, usually each weekend I would have at least 5 to 6 sales.  It is like ebay turned my lights off.  I'm wondering if other have noticed or is it only me?

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

hlmacdon
Community Member

@musicyouneed wrote:

I have been selling quite well for July, at least 2 or 3 a day, so far 30 sales up to Thursday July 13.  Now nothing, usually each weekend I would have at least 5 to 6 sales.  It is like ebay turned my lights off.  I'm wondering if other have noticed or is it only me?

Not just you, this weekend has been pretty slow with a handful of low value sales. Usually the weekend trends better for me but I only have a handful of sales from Fri-Sun. Overall though July has trended downward for me relative to June, with some days not much buying activity. Overall traffic is comparable but sales from that traffic is down quite a bit. My sales are pretty US heavy, so I saw a downtrend leading up to the recent holiday and since. I did notice that many US retailers large and small alike (outside of ebay) have been liquidating stock aggressively so I'm sure that has had some effect. On the plus side I've had some time to work on long delayed non-ebay projects this month.

Message 2 of 131
latest reply

No great changes in my own sales, but because I sell postage to many eBay sellers, it might interest you to know that those sales are strong enough that I didn't distribute my usual monthly list this July.

I have had orders from my private buyers in spite of that.

So somebody is busy.

Message 3 of 131
latest reply

All of July has been lousy for me. I have over 1000 items listed & didn't sell anything for 2 weeks. Had 2 non paying bidders & a cancellation request in the month.  If it continues like this I will have to decide if it is worthwhile selling on eBay anymore.

Message 4 of 131
latest reply

Purchases are sporadic. They always have been. And like I have said before, ebay rewards strong sales with stronger sales. If as a seller you're suddenly not interesting to people and fewer browsers come to your listings either to snoop or to shop, your ranking will drop in Best Match. It's a tailspin after that.

I always know that when I get one sale, another isn't far behind. And when there is a slump, it will stay like that for awhile. It's feast or famine by algorithm. 

Message 5 of 131
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Purchases are sporadic. They always have been. And like I have said before, ebay rewards strong sales with stronger sales. If as a seller you're suddenly not interesting to people and fewer browsers come to your listings either to snoop or to shop, your ranking will drop in Best Match. It's a tailspin after that.

I always know that when I get one sale, another isn't far behind. And when there is a slump, it will stay like that for awhile. It's feast or famine by algorithm. 

I could not have said it better.  I guess I am in a slump, hope it doesn't last too long.

Message 6 of 131
latest reply

Well one sale made at 8:11 and then another at 8:39.  Maybe my slump is over. Woman Happy

Message 7 of 131
latest reply

Made another sale at 9:25.  So that is 3 sales in 1.5 hours.  

Message 8 of 131
latest reply

Just made another sale at 10:10, that is 4 sales in 1.5 hours.  Ebay turned on my lights.

Message 9 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Just made another sale at 10:10, that is 4 sales in 1.5 hours.  Ebay turned on my lights.

If this trend continues please redirect the lumens this way, only one sale this evening. Robot surprised

Message 10 of 131
latest reply

amcdc79
Community Member

Just a heads-up to those who sell CD's, the other site is gating their CD catalog to only those with invoices. There is going to be an explosion of new sellers on ebay, if it hasn't already started.

The music industry now wants us to stream/download our music, and is trying to stop the sale of physical copies, to increase their sales.

What is sad, is they made a fortune selling us those CD's and LP's when they kept the prices high, even as their cost to produce went down. Greedy little rodders.

Glad sales have begun to come back, good luck, and keep up the good work you are doing. I am enjoying the Dire Straits CD I purchased awhile back from you. Thanks again.

Message 11 of 131
latest reply

Thanks I am glad you are enjoying your Dire Straits CD, thanks for the business.

I just have a quick question regarding your statement.

Just a heads-up to those who sell CD's, the other site is gating their CD catalog to only those with invoices. There is going to be an explosion of new sellers on ebay, if it hasn't already started.

The music industry now wants us to stream/download our music, and is trying to stop the sale of physical copies, to increase their sales.

I'm not sure what you mean?  

I do know that CD's are a dying trend, have been for years.  I know that many sellers sell on other web sites, heck I sell on 3.  There is always going to be a market, smaller but there are always people like me who physically have to have a CD.  Now the younger generation under 30, I don't know if they even know what a CD is or even have a device that plays them.  Most of my music caters to the over 40, heck over 60 crowd.  

The digital age has changed how we buy and view movies, buy and read books and the list goes on.  

The marketplace is constantly changing and my only advice for everyone to follow is sell what you know and love.  I do. 

Message 12 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean?  

I do know that CD's are a dying trend, have been for years.  I know that many sellers sell on other web sites, heck I sell on 3.  There is always going to be a market, smaller but there are always people like me who physically have to have a CD.  Now the younger generation under 30, I don't know if they even know what a CD is or even have a device that plays them.  Most of my music caters to the over 40, heck over 60 crowd.  

Amazonworld has in the past (haven't kept up with it so no idea the current status) tried to restrict media sales to sellers who can prove they have a bonafide relationship with media distributors (which more often than not means the record labels themselves) and are purchasing in volume. In other words they only want to be dealing with mainstream retailers that actively deal with the sale of new media. The reason given has always been to ensure the "legitimacy" of the goods being sold, which I've always found quite amusing given their own dubious sourcing at times. Retailers who may have in the past been involved the retail trade but who are no longer actively buying from a media distributor have run into difficulties there.

Message 13 of 131
latest reply

Because of this https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/10/31/amazon-counterfeit-cds/

It only affects sellers of certain titles.  Recent/very popular titles that sell in high volume.  Amazon wont permit them to be listed unless the seller can prove they have a legit source.

Message 14 of 131
latest reply

Thanks Toby for sharing that.  I knew that Russians made lots of copies and I could see that China was starting in on the CD market.  I really don't know how they (ebay/amazon) would control that market other than not allowing the sale of physical CD's or DVD's .  

Most of my CD's are over 10 years old as that is how long most of them (CD's) have been in my possession.   

Everything you buy from China is a copy of something.  Nail Polish, makeup, books,   They should just stop selling things made in China and the buyers should stop buying from them.  The companies want the business they bring but not all the fall out from it. 

Message 15 of 131
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

I feel quite invisible.  Between my two accounts, I usually have about 25 sales a month.  As of today, I've sold a total of 10.  I have all the time in the world to package them up .... no rushing to get them all in the mail!

Message 16 of 131
latest reply

Another seller has posed a question similar this this at the current Weekly Board Hour. I am confident I already know the answer to this phenomena but it will be interesting to see ebay's official reply once again. 

Message 17 of 131
latest reply

Hello, I have had 24 sales (different buyers, more than one item on most orders) in the month of June, which is pretty average for me give or take. In the month of July, I've had 5 sales so far. It's been 10 days since I had a sale, which is not at all normal for me. I also have noticed, as someone else mentioned, once I do make a sale after a slow time, many come to follow, within a short period of time. I have noticed this many times before.

Message 19 of 131
latest reply

Sales are rumoured to beget higher placements which beget sales which.....

Message 20 of 131
latest reply