Selling mixed lots - What country of origin to list on customs label?

Just wondering when listing book lots.  I have 7 books by the same author.  3 were published in Great Britain.  4 were published in the USA.  If I sell all 7 as a single lot,  which country would I list as Country of origin on the customs label?  Anyone have an answer?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

There is enough room on the customs label to list three book as Great Britain (UK), and 4 books as USA).

The customs label is set up for one than one entry.  

For you there will be two lines of information, the first for UK and and the second for USA .

The new forms are set up to allow for this to occur.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

The new forms are set up for HS Codes (Harmonized System Codes).

There will be one code for the UK books and a second code for the US books.

Perhaps not in your situation but with other combinations of books  there many be different codes for the three UK books  and even the four US books.

I have the new forms for Expedited US and international Parcel  and there is room for 4 entries... 7 books over 4 lines, with more tharn one book listed per line...

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

The new HS codes are a new way to identify country of origin.

If one is shipping internationally... For all items including books....  then one has to be aware of restrictions as to what will be allowed into a country. 

Some countries are very strict with respect to what is allowed.  

It was several years ago now that I learned that France does not allow toys made in China to enter the country..  I know of someone that stated toys on the customs form...  The parcel was opened by customs,  and all of the toys made in China were removed.

Now it is by HS code that country of origin will be identified....  One has to be truthful... because as in the instance of the toys...  the parcel was opened...  and if the HS codes were correct then there would be no problem.

However, imagine what would happen if you chose not to state some of the toys were made in China... 

Restrictions are by country,  and can differ dramatically....Tariffs are based on the codes.... and if the parcel is opened for inspection.....  

and the HS codes are wrong....The whole contents  of the parcel might  not be allowed into the country... might be returned to the sender... or even confiscated...  because of the wrong HS codes...   or the appropriate duty is charged  with correct HS code identified. 

The correct HS code should be stated.  Undervaluing  should not occur as well.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

The value of the books has to be stated .

If seven books at retail is about $30 each....  a total of $210

and your sale is significantly lower, you may choose to include, with the books,  a copy of the email from eBay indicating the lot was sold, and at what price.

A copy of the actual eBay listing  identifying the individual books would also help in identifying the value of the books...

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Corrections

reply 2

The customs label is set up for one than one entry.  

The customs label is set up for more  than one entry.  

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

There will be one code for the UK books and a second code for the US books.

Perhaps not in your situation but with other combinations of books there many be different codes for the three UK books and even the four US books.

Can you clarify this for me?  As far as I am aware, there are only 2 codes we need to be concerned with for books - 490191 for dictionaries, encyclopedias and serial installments thereof and 490199 for printed books, brochures, directories and booklets other than dictionaries and encyclopedias- that pretty much covers every other book, hardcover or paperback, fiction or non-fiction, we do not add any extra digits for art books, etc. - this is not what is being asked of individual exporters.  We should not be adding anything to the 6 digits, and codes do not change because of country of origin.  The country of origin should be stated.  If there is any article that has no country of origin indicator, as long as there is no information to the contrary available, it is allowed to use "Canada" as the default country of origin.  This is preferred to "Unknown"

If the OP has 4 books printed in USA, as long as they are not dictionaries or encyclopedias or their installments, they will have 4901999 for their code, as will the 3 printed in the UK.  You could put these on 2 lines, and indicate country of origin beside the HS code.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

All that is necessary is a copy of your own invoice, which is printed from your eBay sales information, folded and put behind the label in the labelope, where Customs can access it without first opening the package.  This should be done for every shipment of anything outside Canada.  There is no need to quote eBay - a commercial invoice is sufficient.  The value of the books for commercial purposes in what was paid for the books.

However, if you are exporting rare books of great value, you need to research whether the book is of any cultural value to any country, requiring an export or import permit.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

I also understood that the HS codes will be the same for the first 6 digits no matter where you are shipping. As you mentioned, there are two codes for books, 490190 for dictionaries or encyclopedias and 4901.99 for other. I just tried a few destination countries and nothing changes. If you continue and give the country of origin, you get more digits that may be specific to the country of origin but that is not needed for Canada Post shipping services requiring a HS Code.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

One too many "9"'s   the second time the number was indicated.

490199 is correct

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for responding with so much information.  It is very much appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I have one more question about Country of origin regarding books.  I have occasionally seen books that were printed in Canada with the cover printed in the USA (Think I have it right, could be the other way around though).  When a single book has two Countries of origin as in the example above, how would it be listed?

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You choose the country of origin where the body of the book was printed, and ignore the other information.  Let common sense prevail.  Customs is not looking for small-scale individual exporters to compile highly detailed lists of the origin of every single element that could be present in a manufactured article.  This is simply a courtesy coding, to speed up the clearance of goods. 

With the growth of internet shopping, the number of parcels crossing borders has increased beyond anyone's expectations, and customs offices have been groaning under the weight of dealing with thousands of individual boxes and envelopes containing articles that needed to be cleared.  A far cry from years ago, when things tended to cross borders in bulk, in bond, each shipment (having huge dollar values) presented by the truck/rail car/plane/boat/container load, with manifests and bills of lading, and the customs brokers preparing all commercial paperwork for clearance.

Here are what I see as the important things:  A clear, readable label, properly protected from the elements (labelopes, free from Canada Post), with a breakdown of different classifications of items, 6 digits of HS code, a country of origin, and a value.  This should be substantiated by a commercial invoice included behind the label inside the labelope, where it is available to Customs for inspection.  If you want information about what is permitted as imports, Canada Post has a section of information about each country under "Tools">"Find Customs Information".  Under the tab for International, you will find information listed under each country about import restrictions and prohibited goods.

Do not be tempted to include a Certificate of Origin, and do not try to go beyond the six digits required of you - you are then presenting yourself as an expert, which most eBay sellers are not.  When in doubt, use the KISS principle. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thank you for taking the time to reply with your good common sense information.  Much appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 14
latest reply