Selling on ebay.com versus ebay.ca

Hello there! I sell logo hockey pucks and don't sell during the summer. I stopped selling just before the new rules came into effect requiring that those Canadian sellers selling on eBay.ca can no longer list in U.S. dollars. That is the new policy right? I just checked some listings and did see a Canadian seller still listing in U.S. dollars using eBay.ca ?? I'm confused. I'm about to start listing again and wonder if it's advisable to stay in eBay ca. or switch to eBay.com. Do American buyers mind being quoted rates in Canadian dollars? I did use calculated shipping when selling to Canadians based on their postal code. Thanks!

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

I would still have the issue of shipping more than one puck to the US. It costs app. $3 more to ship two pucks than one and almost twice as much for 3- 5 pucks as one. How could 'flat rate' work in that case using eBay.com? 

Message 21 of 30
latest reply

@puckfiend wrote:

I would still have the issue of shipping more than one puck to the US. It costs app. $3 more to ship two pucks than one and almost twice as much for 3- 5 pucks as one. How could 'flat rate' work in that case using eBay.com? 

One puck: price + shipping

Two different pucks: price1 + price2 + shipping times 2

@Example: I had a buyer this week for 2 dvds shipped to Australia, light packet @ $8.78 -- they paid $17.56 for shipping -- a shipping charge for each purchase. I combined the shipping (small packet @ $10.99) and gave them a paypal refund for the difference.

-..-

If you have a listing where they can buy more than one of the same item, the flat rate has a shipping cost for one, plus you can specify an additional shipping charge for each item after the first one.  Note: this option is only available for BIN (Buy-It-Now) listings that use flat rate shipping.

-..-

Message 22 of 30
latest reply

One puck: price + shipping

Two different pucks: price1 + price2 + shipping times 2

Example: I had a buyer this week for 2 dvds shipped to Australia, light packet @ $8.78 -- they paid $17.56 for shipping -- a shipping charge for each purchase. I combined the shipping (small packet @ $10.99) and gave them a paypal refund for the difference.

-..-

If you have a listing where they can buy more than one of the same item, the flat rate has a shipping cost for one, plus you can specify an additional shipping charge for each item after the first one.  Note: this option is only available for BIN (Buy-It-Now) listings that use flat rate shipping.

Ok thanks again for all the info! - I'd have to give A US buyer them a refund on Paypal since it wouldn't cost me double the amount to ship two pucks to the US. For Canada, I'd end up slightly overcharging someone in Toronto and Montreal and undercharging a buyer in western Canada with flat rate shipping. I've just put up one auction on eBay.ca and see what the response is.

Message 23 of 30
latest reply

If you have a listing where they can buy more than one of the same item, the flat rate has a shipping cost for one, plus you can specify an additional shipping charge for each item after the first one. Note: this option is only available for BIN (Buy-It-Now) listings that use flat rate shipping.

I don't see the flat rate additional shipping option on the new simplified form on .ca.  It seems to me that someone posted the same problem about the new listing form on the  com board too although I only remember reading about it once.  Perhaps it isn't a problem for everyone although it sounds like the op may be having the same problem.Does anyone else see that or are they seeing a place to add in an additional shipping charge? Or is there a way to add that in?   I always use the advanced form so I'm not that familiar with the other one.

Message 24 of 30
latest reply

lithium double posting

Message 25 of 30
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I don't see the flat rate additional shipping option on the new simplified form on .ca. ...  I always use the advanced form so I'm not that familiar with the other one.

I don't think I've ever seen the "simplified" selling form.

I see the option on the old selling form and on the new "bulksell.ebay.ca" selling form. The option only shows if your quantity for sale is 2 or more. Not available for auctions. Not available for calculated shipping.

On the one page "bulksell.ebay.ca" selling form:

Shipping details

Services / Cost / Each Additional

-..-

Message 26 of 30
latest reply

I've decided to try eBay.com  this weekend and see what happens with 4 -6 new auctions. I've determined a fixed rate price for one puck including a handling fee of $1.50. It will be US. $7.75 U.S. for American bidders and $10.50 U.S. for Canadians. I'll put in the 'item description' for European bidders that rates will be available upon request. I very seldom get bids from Europe. I'm still unsure on what happens if an American bidder wins TWO or more of my auctions. Can I not adjust the invoice to reflect correct shipping charges or does eBay automatically double or triple as the case may be the one puck shipping charge on the invoice and you can't change it?  Thanks!

Message 27 of 30
latest reply

You will be doing auctions rather than a fixed price?

If the buyer doesn't pay until you send an invoice then yes, you can adjust the invoice.  If they pay right away, the price will double unless you set up combined shipping rules.  It shouldn't be that difficult to set that up for items that are about the same weight. To do that, to my eBay, account, site preferences, shipping preferences.  

Message 28 of 30
latest reply

Ok thanks! No, always use 'auction' format as occasionally the price will jump up well over the initial bid. I went in and checked 'shipping preferences' in 'My eBay' - still confusing to me. I assume the 'combined payments and shipping' option still applies to me even if I use eBay.com? Under 'My eBay' currently it says 'yes' to this but 'no' to flat shipping' and 'no' to 'calculated shipping' even though I used this up until now on eBay.ca???  I'll put shipping charges for 2 -5 pucks in my 'item description' and adjust the invoice if I have multiple winning bids from the same U.S. bidder. It's not so much an issue with Canadian bidders as shipping charges are the same up to four pucks.    

Message 29 of 30
latest reply

To set up combined shipping you have to press edit to the right of shipping preferences then allow combined shipping, set it up for $US and set up combined shipping rules.   I don't have them set up myself and can't get into that area right now do can't help you step by step.  Putting them in your description is fine but some people will still pay first and then want a partial shipping refund do its best if you can set up the rules.

Unfortunately there is no way of setting it up in both currencies so set it up for the site that you use the most.

Message 30 of 30
latest reply