Share Your Shipping Labels User Stories

Hello Sellers,

As you already know, Shipping is a topic that we're talking a lot about these days at eBay Canada. We've recently hosted a couple of discussions with some Canadian sellers at our eBay offices. I'd like to also draw on anyone who would be willing to share their story with regards to online shipping labels, whether you use the PayPal labels platform, another, or none.

I'd like to know the following:

• How would you describe your experience using online labels?
  • What works well for you?
  • What are some of your pain or friction points?
  • Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?
  • Anything else you would like to share.

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Sellers,

As you already know, Shipping is a topic that we're talking a lot about these days at eBay Canada. We've recently hosted a couple of discussions with some Canadian sellers at our eBay offices. I'd like to also draw on anyone who would be willing to share their story with regards to online shipping labels, whether you use the PayPal labels platform, another, or none.

• Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?

Many thanks in advance!

My experience has been 90% positive. When it goes down, it crashes and burns in the worst possible order.

It all works.

PP shipping flat out lies about delivery times. To out of the country, the delivery times are set to "at Customs". For Chile and mexico, it should be five WEEKS.

Features seems fine. Try not to add anything,please.

Share? Change the delivery times from mythical to actual. Do not tell me to ship using tracking, to countries with NO "real" tracking, and tell me to pass the cost along to the customer. Lemme see, I can charge the $11 Small packet rate, or, The $110 Expresspost rate, for a $15 part.  Worse? For dispute resolution you require tracking, yet, for many countries you deliberately do not offer it. Why?

I was at eBay Live, Las Vegas, 2006. I was told two things at the PP area. One is that they were going 100% into Canada on the same level as the US. When is that to be implemented?  The other thing was "We are meeting with Canada Post NEXT WEEK to work on tracking to the US". That was nine (9) years ago. How is that coming along?

Photobucket
Message 21 of 141
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

...... I'm sure that whatever this needed system is it LOOKS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING LIKE THE GLOBAL SHIPPING PROGRAM by the way, lol.....

Oh dear, I second that. 

If ebay Canada rolls out a shipping program that requires users to opt into something like the Global Shipping Program, I am opting out. While I can see the benefit of collecting import fees up front specifically for buyers in UK, Germany and Italy, I absolutely could not ever condone sending my parcels to a third-party hub that interferes with my careful packaging and timely dispatch. Facilitate allowing ME to collect those import fees for disbursement to Pitney Bowes or whomever the same as I collect fees to pay for postage but NO WAY would I ever voluntarily allow my hardwork and time spent satisfying customers to be undone by people who don't know any better. 

Please no Global Shipping Program here unless it is a program that is so radically different it is, in fact, something else.

Message 22 of 141
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Sellers,

Many thanks in advance!

I am really very happy with PayPal labels. I print usually 120-160 monthly.

Maybe one little suggestion: let us choose between "show/hide postage price", as other services do.

Message 23 of 141
latest reply

raphael@ebay.com wrote:

Hello Sellers,

Many thanks in advance!

My experience with using online labels on the whole is good, I am disabled and don't drive, and if my husband is not well enough to mail, and I have to ask someone else to mail for me, it is a big advantage to be able to have online labels that means they can just hand the package over at the post office.

Like many others, I would like to see the blank label feature returned. I have a situation now where Canada Post failed to mail to the correct address when a buyer had requested mail forwarding at their post office and now the package is being returned to me. She is paying for the return postage, but I have no way to do an online Paypal label now.

I would like to see the small package and light package labels bigger, the address is very small. I wish they were the same size as the expedited labels.

I appreciate the opportunity for Canadian buyers to share their comments and concerns on this forum, thank you for this opportunity.

Message 24 of 141
latest reply

Regarding the above comment on Small Packets and Light Packet labels, I agree completely. Since the format changed, the recipient address is ridiculously presented in a much-too-small typeface. What I have done is increase the percentage at which it prints so as to fill a larger portion of my sheet of paper. Most of my items ship in either a 22 x 17 x 9 cm box or 23 x 18 x 3 cm bubble mailer so I am able to expand that label to print at 123 per cent with no repercussions. (The bar code does not distort.) I also highlight with a yellow marker the word 'to' on the label. This was my workaround.

If I may offer another thought on paypal shipping, it's that communication is key for whomever it is that is charged with rendering our postage labels in the future. As in communication between that party and the carrier. For example, when Canada Post evoked HS Codes on exported 'commercial shipments' last year, it was done with little to no warning. Suddenly I needed a code that I knew nothing about and had no way to find and then when I did find the code, I was required to mysteriously eliminate the periods contained within. When I called paypal shipping about it, they told me they had been left in the dark about the changes and their implications. When I called Canada Post about it, the rep told me this was a Paypal problem. It was a little silly. It was a small change but a major one and done without support to any stakeholder in the process. 

Message 25 of 141
latest reply

Hi Raphael, 

I want to thank you for asking for input from sellers on this essential subject.  I think you'll find that those of us "in the trenches" will have many practical (and important) suggestions.  By the way, I take it from your queries that eBay is considering offering an in-house shipping label feature, so I'll give my responses from that perspective. 

How would you describe your experience using online labels?

• Paypal - Aside from a couple of irritating flaws and some frustrating incompatibilities with certain browsers, Paypal has been mostly wonderful, fairly simple, quick, nicely aligned with eBay, and with decent discounts (although I always wish for a discount on Small Packet).  I use Paypal labels almost exclusively.  

• Canada Post - a horror.  The one time I had to use it because Paypal was down, I was actually laughing out loud with disbelief it was so badly designed and dysfunctional.  They should call it "ship-in-a-thousand-clicks".  Please, please don't emulate them! 

What works well for you?

• A feature that is simple, quick, and consistently reliable.  Not all of us have software skills to understand how to come up with workarounds when time is of the essence. 
  • I do like the way Paypal labels and eBay work in tandem, for a fairly seamless result.  
  • The Paypal discounts really have been a lifesaver
  • Ability to request that a label be cancelled and have the cost refunded (although see #4 below)

What are some of your pain or friction points?

1)  Features that should work but don't.  

Tracked Packet has never functioned entirely properly since it was introduced.  

2)  A minor point, but I dislike the way addresses are inserted onto Paypal labels -- the lines run so closely together (top to bottom) that I sometimes fear they won't be legible for the postie who has to deliver the item.  A different font, plus a bit more line spacing would make the address portion so much clearer. 

3)  (Obviously) down-times and major glitches that prevent a label from being processed or printed as expected.  For many of us, a problem like that means driving several kms to a Post Office and paying premium rates to ship.  

4) On the rare occasion when I've had to completely cancel a label, it's been a slow process getting refunded (over 3 weeks).  

Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?

Would like:

• Being able to estimate final pricing in advance for discounted services, and/or use a blank form (i.e. the way "shipnow" used to work on Paypal).  This was a vital feature at times.
  • Ability to reprint a label within 24 hours (this has been helpful on many occasions!)
  • Message box to customer (I use this almost every time when processing a Paypal label)
  • Seamless functionality with eBay sales record and Selling Manager (this works well currently)
  • Some increases in the existing parcel discounts would be nice.  As one poster has pointed out, these have been static, while Canada Post rates have continued to climb significantly
  • Option to toggle price display on or off on the final printed label -- I'm sure this is a more important function for many sellers than it may seem
  • Full functionality with Windows 10, which it seems half the world will soon be using
  • As mentioned above, clearer address portion on the printed label
  • I like the idea one poster above mentioned of having the option to display the actual shipping cost alongside the seller's charged cost.  I used to send a message to my buyers indicating that shipping was $X, but I was discounting it by $X as a courtesy, but stopped doing that as I felt it was too blatant.  However, a pre-purchase reminder by eBay would be a little more subtle and just as helpful. 
  • I would love, love, love to have a discount on Small Packet USA!  heart  I've never understood why this wasn't possible, since I imagine a lot of Cdn sellers must use Small Packet to the U.S.
  • Lastly -- a "pie in the sky" wish -- tracked shipping from Canada to the U.S. at truly competitive rates for small parcels (under 1kg).  I've just about given up on international shipping (it's simply become too costly), but if the same happens to shipping to the U.S. then I and many other Cdn sellers will be out of the game entirely.  EBay could help to step up Canadians' ability to compete in the U.S. market by negotiating or offering a more substantial discount on Tracked Packet, or conversely, Small Packet with tracking at current rates. 

Would not like: 

• A complex, time-consuming and unreliable shipping label service.  When you're relying on a feature sometimes several times a day, you need it to work dependably, quickly and easily, especially if you have promised customers same day, 1-day (or 24-hour) dispatch of purchases
  • A Canada Post style online label system (please no!)
  • GSP system (please no!)

Anything else you would like to share.

If eBay is going to have a returns policy that involves Canadian sellers having to pay for return shipping from U.S. or international buyers, then there has to be a simple return label feature for sellers and/or buyers to access.  

The suggestion of choosing a group of experienced sellers to run a test on a proposed new system is a very good one. 

I'm sure shipping is a huge concern and frustration for all Canadian sellers, but it's especially critical for those of us with smaller transaction volumes.  The main point I want to make is that whatever labeling system eBay adopts should not add yet another layer of worry or frustration to that area. 

Thank you for asking us for our input.  

Message 26 of 141
latest reply

If I might butt-in again, the 'option to toggle price display on or off on the final printed label' isn't really an option for international labels. The postage cost must be explicitly stated as some countries include that in the total to be considered for import fees for the buyer. As in postage PLUS value of goods contained within. 

I for one would like to see postage paid printed on domestic labels. I don't add a handling fee (and usually subsidize postage) so I would like my buyers to see in black-and-white that the postage they've paid has been submit to Canada Post. I fear buyers are now coming to expect 'free' shipping on items and this has 'devalued' what postage expenses really represent for the seller. But that is off-topic. 

Message 27 of 141
latest reply

Oh yes, I was aware of the VAT on item + shipping cost for international.  My head was getting stuck on U.S. shipping, since that's practically all I have these days.  

The points  you raise about displaying shipping are valid, but there is another side to the same coin: I use a sort of mix-it-up shipping strategy, in which the occasional times I actually don't lose money help to offset some of those in which I do (usually on Light Packet).  Most of the time I'm happy to have my buyers see how much I've paid towards their shipping, but occasionally (especially when the $Cdn was at par or slightly higher than the $US), I'd rather not have the final amount displayed. 

I'd just like to see the option of choosing "on" or "off" for the display.  At the moment, you get what you get on the label and have to like it or lump it.  

I completely agree with your last statement.  Off-topic or not, it's an important aspect of shipping these days.  

Maybe eBay can negotiate free, tracked label shipping for all Canadians!  Whooo-hoooo!!  Now I'm really getting dizzy!  

Message 28 of 141
latest reply

Yes, I see what you mean: CAD to USD conversions between order cost and postage cost would likely confuse the issue. I remember getting dinged for that discrepancy on shipping costs when I listed in USD but paid in CAD. 

Message 29 of 141
latest reply

Price on the label tells the equipment where it is going.

Photobucket
Message 30 of 141
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

Price on the label tells the equipment where it is going.

A few years ago you could print labels without the shipping cost and  packages still got to where they were going so I don't

think that it is a big factor if at all.

Message 31 of 141
latest reply

I just want to give a yay to a couple of the suggestions made......

-On domestic labels, give the option of showing the shipping cost

-As mentioned, the name/address lines on the labels are really squished together. I'm

amazed that the postman can read them so it would be great if that could be taken into account

-It would be helpful if the shipping platform actually gave a non generic reason when there is a problem.

The paypal platform says something like 'paypal shipping is not available right now, try again later' regardless what the problem

is. Often it is a simple matter of changing something on the label and the label will print.

For example - For many international locations the 'state' field is optional on the address information form. In may cases, if the buyer did fill out that field, the label won't print.  Their is no message given until the end when a message says that paypal shipping isn't available. But if you take out the optional state info, the label prints without a problem.

Other problems specific to paypal shipping....

You cannot print a tracked packet label unless it is the first label that you set up. If you do something else first...for example if I want to check pricing for other services and do that on that platform and then try to do a tracked packet label, the following message comes up:

"The Shipment Option you have chosen is invalid. Please verify the amount you have entered."

Apparently there is a way to work around that but I always end up signing out of paypal and back in again.. This has been a problem since TP was set up on the site.

- xpresspost USA includes a signature but on the label form it says that 'signature confirmation is not available'. It's included and there is no extra charge so there is nothing to check off but saying that it is not available confuses users.

Message 32 of 141
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

.....Other problems specific to paypal shipping....

You cannot print a tracked packet label unless it is the first label that you set up. If you do something else first...for example if I want to check pricing for other services and do that on that platform and then try to do a tracked packet label, the following message comes up:

"The Shipment Option you have chosen is invalid. Please verify the amount you have entered."

Apparently there is a way to work around that but I always end up signing out of paypal and back in again.. This has been a problem since TP was set up on the site......

Good point. Plus, it is annoying to see the service misrepresented in our Sales Records because after a seller prints said Canada Post Airmail Tracked Packet International label, it shows as Canada Post Priority Worldwide if it was Tracked Packet International (like overseas) and if it was sent as Tracked Packet USA will read as Canada Post Expedited Flat Rate Box USA and this has been since the day paypal shipping allowed us to print Tracked Packets. 

Another thing: when I have buyers from lovely and exotic-sounding locations with long names that have many characters, the address prints its postal code right into the QR Code, obscuring both. The label is just too small. I've reported it. I really don't know what those QR Codes are used for but I have to assume it's not just decorative. 

Message 33 of 141
latest reply

There have been so many excellent recommendations made.  I can only add two things which I haven't seen mentioned.

Currently the PayPal label does not allow for the addition of the 4-digit extension to the Zip Code.  Even if it's entered on the label with the other information, it's deleted when it's printed, so I always end up printing it on the label before affixing it to the package.

Any label program should be tested on a number of different browsers.   For instance, for a slightly larger Light/Small Packet label, Chrome works better than Foxfire or I.E.  Tracked Packet USA fails frequently on IE so I have to switch to Foxfire or Chrome.  Reducing an Expedited label (Canada) to "Executive" size for smaller parcels works on IE and Foxfire, but not on Chrome (only a portion of the tracking number is printed).  I have all three browsers open at any given time, so it's not that big an issue, but the program should be designed to work properly on all commonly used browsers.

Message 34 of 141
latest reply

Also very good points. I use Safari as a browser and it scales those Expedited Parcel labels without trouble as low as 76 per cent for one of my regularly-used box sizes of 16 x 11 x 9 cm. After that, I don't think I'd shrink it any further because legibility would certainly be an issue with the address. 

Message 35 of 141
latest reply

I "think" there is a lot of misunderstanding about labels. For eg: legible. Why does it need to be readable by human eyes when only machines ever see it. Every single parcel I get has a bar code on it, which probably identifies right down to which room of my house I am in.

I, too, used to obsess about the four digit locator code to the US. Even the USPS says those are pretty much passe.

I am of the "thought" that any printed information on the label, is simply there as either a backup in the event the bar code fails, or, to assuage us folks that don't want to accept a bar code as the entire name and address.

PP told me that they were going to have this bar code all figured out, with Canada Post, nine (9) years ago.

All other requests aside, why can't each packet simply have it's own bar code that identifies sender, buyer, customs info? The technology certainly exists. We would still enter all the info as we do now. Instead of this label we have to deal with now, all we would need to put on the packet is a bar code.

None of this info would be view-able by anyone other than Customs or the PO.

Photobucket
Message 36 of 141
latest reply

At some point the human must read it! Especially for home delivery. The delivery person must see the address to put in the proper compartment of a super box or delivery to the proper home. Not all packages go to the outlet for pickup.

Message 37 of 141
latest reply

Also, when I ship to the U.S. with prepaid PayPal labels. The CP clerk scans the barcode and then manually enters the zip code.

Message 38 of 141
latest reply

Our biggest issue with these labels is that Canada post keeps delivering them straight into our mailbox unless we take a red marker and write large TO/FROM with large arrows pointing to the respective addresses.

Message 39 of 141
latest reply

@maximus7001 wrote:

Our biggest issue with these labels is that Canada post keeps delivering them straight into our mailbox unless we take a red marker and write large TO/FROM with large arrows pointing to the respective addresses.

You've raised another good point.  The addressee block on the Light/Small Packet USA label is not much larger than the return address field.  I too was receiving a number of returned parcels and the letter carrier told me to highlight the addressee block.  So, for the past year, I've used a red marker to draw a box around the addressee block.  So far, it's worked and no packages have been returned to me, but it really shouldn't be necessary to do that.

Message 40 of 141
latest reply