Share Your Shipping Labels User Stories

Hello Sellers,

As you already know, Shipping is a topic that we're talking a lot about these days at eBay Canada. We've recently hosted a couple of discussions with some Canadian sellers at our eBay offices. I'd like to also draw on anyone who would be willing to share their story with regards to online shipping labels, whether you use the PayPal labels platform, another, or none.

I'd like to know the following:

• How would you describe your experience using online labels?
  • What works well for you?
  • What are some of your pain or friction points?
  • Are there any features you would like to see, or any that you would rather not see?
  • Anything else you would like to share.

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 141
latest reply
140 REPLIES 140

Another pain point with the small packet labels recently discovered.

If the user enters too many characters into the available address fields (while still being under the permissible character limit) as is common with address from some Asian countries for example, parts of the address will print over the QR code on the right side of the label, causing legibility issues.

Message 81 of 141
latest reply

I've reported that to PayPal shipping. It would probably benefit as an issue flagged by other users too. 

Message 82 of 141
latest reply

Since about a couple days ago, paypal no longer fills all the details by itself when I print my ebay shipping labels. 

It used to fill the Shipping method,  quantity, item name etc automatically.

Now It is all blank except the buyer adress and I have to fill everything by hand.

The system used to be quick and convenient, now I have like 10 labels to print and I am depressed.

What is going on? Am I the only one who is affected by this?

IT happens in both firefox and Chrome.

Message 83 of 141
latest reply

There have been other similar comments on these boards from people having the same problem. Have you tried signing into Paypal and printing your label from there rather than starting in eBay? That always works for me.

Message 84 of 141
latest reply

No, printing directly from paypal does not change anything regarding this issue.

Message 85 of 141
latest reply

Have you tried hitting the REPRINT button?

Message 86 of 141
latest reply

Same here. The description, etc. has now been stripped out. Yet another thing that prompts the 'heavy sigh'.
Anyone want me to print out some "**bleep**in' Bout Some Glitches!" tshirts? Just kidding....but seriously? It's every single day we have to contend with something broken, not working, glitchy or simply down and waiting!
Message 87 of 141
latest reply

My biggest fear is that eBay and CPC will roll-out a new platform for shipping labels that isn't Mac compatible.
Message 88 of 141
latest reply

I've started either taking pictures of my packets that are going out of Canada when they're on the post office counter or recording a video of me dropping them into the mailbox. I figure that if any problems come up and Ebay/Paypal doesn't accept that as official proof of shipment, maybe the buyer will.
Message 89 of 141
latest reply

I don't mean to discourage you but Proof of Shipment won't help you in an Item Not Received case. Only Proof of Delivery (tracking) will satisfy eBay or Paypal. Your photographic evidence may however soothe an anxious buyer long enough to convince them to wait a few extra days or weeks before opening an INR with PayPal but again it won't erase any defect for late shipment with eBay if feedback is left. Only your Acceptance Scan would do that (tracking). Proof of Shipment is something that is sometimes useful and/or required for third-party insurers like u-pic when a seller needs to make a 'lost' claim. Whether a photograph will suffice is another story. Small Packets labels have barcodes. Ask for your receipt at the counter when you drop it off. That is your best, official Proof of Shipment.
Message 90 of 141
latest reply

eBay and  Paypal wouldn't accept a picture or video as proof of shipment and as mj said, proof of shipment doesn't help in an item not received case.  Buyers are most concerned about not receiving the package, I doubt that few of them actually think that the seller didn't mail the package so I can't see a  picture being all that helpful.  But that's just my opinion, perhaps you have different experiences with your buyers.

Message 91 of 141
latest reply

I didn't say I'd try to submit it to *ebay* as proof. I'd use it to show *the buyer* that I mailed it. Better than nothing, right?

Message 92 of 141
latest reply

I just went and mailed without label wasn't sure you did this.  How does ebay know or how do we as a seller notify the parcel was sent?

Message 93 of 141
latest reply

I hope you mean 'without PRINTING A PAYPAL label' and not 'without a label'. In the case of the former, you need to Mark it Shipped manually in the drop-down menu alongside the item. In the case of the latter, you'll need to kiss the mailbox where you left that package goodbye.
Message 94 of 141
latest reply

My shipping label user story is that everything worked wonderfully until SOMEONE (Paypal, Canada Post, Pitney Bowes?) decided to do an upgrade on Friday May 6.

Now I cannot print anything in IE.

I've managed to get labels printed with Firefox, but it was an ordeal

What used to be a foolproof intuitive process has turned into a hit or miss situation.

Time wasted with Customer support (well not wasted, but would not have to be there if not for the Upgrade)

Time wasted downloading new browser and figuring out new browser - still not happy with that. I've used IE forever - don't like change. It wasn't broken - It worked for me - I liked it

Was Happy - Not happy Now 😞

Message 95 of 141
latest reply

Raphael - 

Paypal labels are not working properly since Friday May 6th.  This issue needs to be fixed NOW.  I managed to print a label through my PDF software, but I don't see this as a reliable way to print labels in the future. 

I don't know if the issue is caused by Paypal, Canada Post or Pitney Bowes - but someone needs to fix the problem ASAP.  I will be getting some customs labels next time at the post office and pay there.  Paypal/Pitney Bowes will loose my printing business.  However since ebay offers discounts on shipping this is not a very acceptable way to proceed indefinitely.  This needs to be fixed!  Please!!!

Message 96 of 141
latest reply

Well I guess I will follow up on my own message.  It appears this thread is dead as there has been no response from anyone at ebay for the past few days.  Maybe no one at ebay cares about this???  Sad. Smiley Sad

Message 97 of 141
latest reply

@forester_studios wrote:

Well I guess I will follow up on my own message.  It appears this thread is dead as there has been no response from anyone at ebay for the past few days.  Maybe no one at ebay cares about this???  Sad. Smiley Sad

eBay doesn't often respond to any posts on these discussion boards. I realize that Raphael started this thread but that was 8+ months ago so I doubt that he keeps close tabs on it now.  I think the label change was something that Canada Post did but if you are still having problem you might want to phone Paypal.

Message 98 of 141
latest reply

Canada Post has gone to a new label. Smaller and laid out differently for domestic expedited and slightly larger for light/tracked packet int. This isn't PB issue.

Message 99 of 141
latest reply

I have printed hundreds of labels on Paypal shipping and have used them to ship to more than 30 countries.  Occasionally there is a glitch after a software change--there was an occasion when labels were 1" square for a while!

But I use both Google Chrome and Internet Explorer and if the label doesn't print on one browser, it usually prints on the other.

One issue I have had happens when the address characters on one line are more than 40.  Then I have to find some way to rearrange the buyers address.  Not always easy for some of those foreign addresses!

I keep wondering when the labels will print out the sub-code on the US addresses.  

By the way, I am using Windows 10 and the labels are printing okay for me. 

Message 100 of 141
latest reply