Shipping Ceilings/Caps on CDs?

Could I ask someone who is in the regular business of selling and shipping CDs (not DVD movies, but regular CDs, in jewel cases or otherwise) to post the information here on eBay's shipping caps/ceilings on such items?  Or where to find the details on this site (link please)? 

I know I came across this information in passing a few months ago, but I couldn't manage to locate it again by doing a "Help" pages search.  I seem to recall it's around $3.99 per piece, but would like to know for sure before I start shipping such products. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Shipping caps are on eBay.com only, not on eBay.ca.

Here is a link to the ebay.com help page on this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/maximum_shipping.html

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Hi 'poco' -- my genie-in-the-eBay-bottle...

Thanks very much for this.  I took a look at the details, and it seems the cap would apply even to an item listed on eBay.ca, if shipping to the US is shown -- (from the link page):

"It applies only to the first flat rate shipping service you offer within or to the U.S."

As usual, I seem to be an oddball on eBay with my weird little products.  I don't really see anything in any of the categories mentioned that would apply to my items -- they're not books, they're not DVDs and movies, they're not music, and they're definitely not video games.  They will be data and images on CDs.  I wonder if that means the cap won't apply?  Is there a "Data CD" category?  It's OK, never mind, I'll check!  Woman Very Happy

Thanks so much 'poco' -- I know it's only 10:30 where you are, but it's 1:30 a.m. here, time for me to turn the laptop OFF!!

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

It's a cap on "media". Items that can within the USA be shipped using Media Mail. Which is cheap but slow.

Canada used to have Book Rate which was very similar.

If you are offering on eBaydotCOM, you cannot offer a Flat Rate on media over $4.00USD, including insurance (which is an addon with USPS).

But if you were in the USA and able to use USPS Calculated Shipping, you could use that instead. Which would make selling the entire Encyclopaedia Brittanica and shipping it from Rhode Island to Alaska doable.

But shipping from Canada on dotCOM ... nope. You would not be allowed to charge over $4.00.

If you list your items on dotCA, there is no problem. You can charge whatever you like.

Be aware however that your US competitors, if any, will be shipping for $4.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

There are no shipping caps on .ca

This is why since 2008 when shipping caps were introduced on .com I list exclusively on .ca

It has nothing to do with USPS Media Mail rates, there are many things in the eBay Media category that are subject to caps but cannot be sent via Media Mail.

In the UK the cap on some specific media items is ZERO, yup, that's right the only way you can list is with free domestic shipping.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks everyone for the input, and I appreciate the clarification from 'recped'.  I may end up offering free shipping on these items if I'm going to be competing with US seller shipping caps on similar items, but being able to continue doing that will depend on what new surprises Canada Post has up their sleeve next year...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply