Shipping Help for Leggings to the US

I'm going to be selling leggings on ebay soon and I just want to make sure I fully understand and learn about selling and shipping things on ebay so I have a few questions if there is someone who wouldn't mind helping a newbie get the hang of things =]

I weighed some leggings and they are all about 150 grams, shipped in a plastic envelope and about 11 inches by 9 inches and under 3cm in height.

1. what would be the best shipping method for sending them to the states and the cost?

(Letter post over sized?SM packet air? Light Packet air?)

Can leggings be sent as an over sized standard letter?

2. What the heck is an ebay pack? are they the poly plastic envelopes?

3. If I print my own shipping labels then do I have to also order the free air mail stickers and stuff to place on the things I ship?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated and gobbled up. Thanks for your patience and time

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@qualityplussizedclothing wrote:

I'm going to be selling leggings on ebay soon and I just want to make sure I fully understand and learn about selling and shipping things on ebay so I have a few questions if there is someone who wouldn't mind helping a newbie get the hang of things =]

I weighed some leggings and they are all about 150 grams, shipped in a plastic envelope and about 11 inches by 9 inches and under 3cm in height.

1. what would be the best shipping method for sending them to the states and the cost?

(Letter post over sized?SM packet air? Light Packet air?)

Can leggings be sent as an over sized standard letter?

2. What the heck is an ebay pack? are they the poly plastic envelopes?

3. If I print my own shipping labels then do I have to also order the free air mail stickers and stuff to place on the things I ship?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated and gobbled up. Thanks for your patience and time

Light packet but they have to fit through the 20mm slot, otherwise small packet.

I have some of those eBay packs poly envelopes. I forgot about those. They are big, you would have to fold them over several times. They are strong.

CP hands out airmail stickers with an eyedropper. Yeah, order the labelopes, those things are like gold to me. Allow ten days for delivery of supplies.

Photobucket
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

As mr elmwood said, if you can get the package to 2cm in depth, you can ship it light package to the U.S. and lettermail within Canada. You are not supposed to use letterpost for merchandise that is going outside of the country also some people do use it.

I do use the ebay bag once in a while although I'm not sure of the price of other poly bags in comparison. You still have to use the regular amount of postage on the ebay bag.

I never think to put on airmail stickers although it seems many sellers do use them.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

PJ, folks at the PO wonder why we still use airmail stickers as "everything goes air anyway".

PO instructions say to put a sticker on each side.

So, we are using something, they do not want us to use, that they instruct us to use, then don't want to hand them out, but do, later. Yeah, I'm on board.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Thank you so much for your help.

The CP website describes the ebay packs as being hard plastic but I figured they must really be poly envelopes, its good to know for sure that's what they are and also that there kind of huge.

I think I will just order the proper size for my needs rather than using the CP packs.

Yeah, I have read a lot of complaints about CP and their dislike of giving out the air mail stickers among many other complaints. I'm really not looking forward to being hassled by them when I need supplies but at least I will be prepared for it.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Thank you, that has all been really helpful for me.

I have only done a bit of pricing on the size poly bags I will need but it seems they are available for $7 with free s/h per 100 on sale or even as much as $25 from a shipping supply company.

I think I will order some ebay packs to at least see if I could make due with them and order bags later on.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Order all of your supplies on line at Canada post website and print all of your shipping labels through Paypal. You never have to deal with a CP employee  or wait in line to purchase postage as you can just drop your light pack packages in any mail box or the cp desk without talking to anyone. CP delivers all of your supplies to your door and does not charge shipping to do so.  I love the venture one ebay poly packs for clothes. For things going light package  I fold items flat in a piece of tissue purchased form Dollarstore for $1.00 for 30 sheets and place in bag. I then add a few strips of 2" packing tape all around the ebay bag to keep it flat and it is now light pack ready. Print label, drop in post box! Also large manila envelopes work great for leggings and thin clothes. Same thing, add a few strips of tape all around to keep flat and to protect from tears. Works great and I have had no issues for many years. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

those eBay packs poly envelopes.

I buy poly envelopes on eBay from US or Chinese suppliers. They average about 10-12 cents apiece in the two sizes I use. One company is polyusa.

It's worth looking up several and comparing prices in your Watch list.

I've also seen them in the ULine catalogue.

Are the eBay branded ones available again, then? I found them useful for my peace of mind when they were easily available, since I believe that buyers remember them better and therefore are less likely to start Not Received claims, even when they were not tracked.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Yes, white poly Ebay mailers still available through Canada Post online.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

"I weighed some leggings and they are all about 150 grams, shipped in a plastic envelope and about 11 inches by 9 inches and under 3cm in height.

(Letter post over sized?SM packet air? Light Packet air?)"

Small Packet or Tracked packet for anything thicker than 2 cm.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Tracked is a waste of money. Small Packet to the US is $8.13 CDN, about $6.70 US. I only use American money for all my figuring.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

The OP should be able to refold the leggings to comply with Light Packet sizing of 2 cm thickness.  Also, all sizes should be metric - you cannot mix imperial (11 inches by 9 inches) with metric ( and under 3 cm in height).  And I agree that Tracked Packet is overkill for leggings.  Light Packet up to 200 grams is $5.00 to USA and $7.50 international.  Within Canada it goes at Oversize Lettermail cost - 100-200 grams is $2.95 + taxes.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

The 'refold' suggestion is questionable for new leggings which usually come prepackaged. Removing them from the package and refolding them might offset in labour cost the difference between Light Packet and Small Packet prices. (18 cents a minute!)

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Good point, femmefan.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply