Shipping dings or not dings??!?!?

Sigh. Buyer from France, buys late on November 23rd just before midnight, I ship on Wendnesday 25th. On Saturday or Sunday (I can't see the date feedback was left now it seems) I get feedback that is better than excellent (mod this isn't their words). Today I notice that I got defects for INAD and shipping time? I'm not even sure if it is possible for it to have made it to France by Saturday/Sunday, it wouldn't have left my PO (wee village) until the afternoon of the 25th. I'm leaning toward the belief I got someone else's feedback/DSRs by accident, certainly not the first time that has happened either.

A couple weeks earlier I got feedback from a buyer stating something better than extremely fast shipping (mod not buyers words) in my feedback but again I got a defect for shipping time in the defects reporting.

Having said this in both cases they don't seem to have been counted in the new and improved reporting?? (I am assuming it is updating on a daily basis the base number has been rising slowly over the last few weeks and no dings from them so far)

This makes me wonder if:
-the shipping defects were "3"s (I can't see the actual number anymore either?)
-neither of them answered the question, or they answered yes despite the fact they left a 3 or lower for the shipping DSR
-there is some sort of automagic eBay reconcilliation that says if they leave feedback inside the delivery timeframe (none of these were tracked but they were marked as shipped once shipped) it doesn't count??

I'm beginning to become a believer in MrE.s approach of just ignoring this stuff, it is very frustrating as I am getting very mixed messages which really don't let me know what is wrong or what I have to change......

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

I totally understand what you are going through. A buyer recently left me feedback that says he's giving me 5 stars and yet this same buyer game me a 4.... strangely, it is also a buyer from France.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

Sigh. Buyer from France, buys late on November 23rd just before midnight, I ship on Wendnesday 25th. On Saturday or Sunday (I can't see the date feedback was left now it seems) I get feedback that is better than excellent (mod this isn't their words). Today I notice that I got defects for INAD and shipping time? I'm not even sure if it is possible for it to have made it to France by Saturday/Sunday, it wouldn't have left my PO (wee village) until the afternoon of the 25th. I'm leaning toward the belief I got someone else's feedback/DSRs by accident, certainly not the first time that has happened either.

It does sound as if you got hit with somebody else's bad input.  I think it's virtually impossible for a parcel to get from a small town in Canada to France in under 4 days (unless it went by Priority courier). 

Having said this in both cases they don't seem to have been counted in the new and improved reporting?? (I am assuming it is updating on a daily basis the base number has been rising slowly over the last few weeks and no dings from them so far)

No, you're right, my understanding is that the metrics that are being shown at the moment are for "informational" purposes.  However, come February 20th, we will be evaluated based on those metrics, and what is worse is that the evaluation of Feb. 20th will be based on data collected for less than a full year.  Remember too, that that data is calculated on a very limited baseline -- only those buyers who actually answer "The Question", and not your total annual transactions.  This is highly problematic.  So if you're on a yearly evaluation, every single one of those late shipping responses by buyers will be critical.  

Even with your larger (than mine!) volume of sales, I'd suggest seeing if you can get the late response removed.  You are right that eBay has told us that if a buyer answers the on-time shipping question with a "No" within the eBay-designated delivery window, such a response isn't supposed to be included in the on-time metrics. 

I suspect there will be a lot of bugs and wrinkles with this new policy, as always, and that those who get "dinged" during the first few months will be the guinea pigs until eBay sorts out inherent issues.  

You know, honestly, I'd probably take this one up with Raphael directly (raphael@ebay.com).  There is absolutely no way an ordinary parcel could get to France in 3 business days, and it makes even less sense that a buyer should be able to answer "The Question" on Day 4 after an international delivery.  

I'm beginning to become a believer in MrE.s approach of just ignoring this stuff, it is very frustrating as I am getting very mixed messages which really don't let me know what is wrong or what I have to change......

The way I see it though is that even if FB itself will become irrelevant (which it mostly will), we are all going to be on a much shorter leash where on-time delivery is concerned, due to the narrow statistical base being used and the fact that few Canadian sellers can afford to use tracking most of the time.  This won't be something sellers can ignore with impunity.  So, my view on this would be to fight every one that is incorrect or clearly unfair. 

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Hi Rose, frustrating as the DSR shippings might be, I still am 0% for the "new way" reporting, which, if I had to pick, I'd pick. The DSR way won't count for anything come February anyway.

As well, what does:

Otherwise, if the tracking details or your buyers indicate that more than 10.00% of your transactions were shipped late, we may follow up with you about the handling time you offer in your listings.

So if I get to 11% will anyone really follow up with me, or will it have any impact? (aside from having lost TRS) If someone follows up with me, I can give them the list of all these irreconcilable things? For someone my size (I'm still small too) I can't imagine anything beyond the bots stuff would happen anyway.

Time will tell, so far just checking this stuff simply makes me more frustrated so I think I'll stop checking for a while......

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

The DSR way won't count for anything come February anyway. 

Yes, that's true, although do you have any way of knowing whether your buyer answered "The Question" or not?  If he did, then you may be stuck with one count of "no-no" after February 20th.  

Sorry to make light of it, but I agree with you, we're all getting worn out and worn down trying to determine what exactly eBay wants of us...Woman Frustrated

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Hi Rose, I'm assuming the "new reporting style" is up to date, it says it goes up to November 30th( transactions from Sep 12, 2015 to Nov 30, 2015). But it does mention it can take 48 hours for stuff to show up(Any updates may take up to 48 hours to show up here.). For sure the earlier one didn't show up, as it happened a couple weeks ago....
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Is it possible that your buyer used a mobile device, like the ebay app to leave feedback for you? It defaults to a previous transaction for text. Also, it is very easy to leave unintended DSRs when a buyer's thumb hits the wrong part on the screen. I tried flagging this at a Board Hour but I think it missed the mark. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

A couple weeks earlier I got feedback from a buyer stating something better than extremely fast shipping (mod not buyers words) in my feedback but again I got a defect for shipping time in the defects reporting.

Having said this in both cases they don't seem to have been counted in the new and improved reporting?? (I am assuming it is updating on a daily basis the base number has been rising slowly over the last few weeks and no dings from them so far

If both shipping time defects are showing in the current/old system, then it must have been a DSR rating. If they just answered no to the question then it wouldn't show in the old system. If they gave a low DSR and answered no...then they should show up in the new and old system.  Does that make sense? If the shipping time was a 3, it wouldn't show in the old system as only a 1 counts. (1, 2 or 3 counts for inad)

You could ask the buyers about it and about the inad...it is quite possible they just made a mistake. Perhaps they both put a 1 thinking it was 5.  But then if you wanted to do anything about it you would have to phone cs, perhaps more than once, to see if they would change it. 

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Hi PJ!

In both cases I have received:

-a DSR ding for the old "Low Detailed Seller Rating for Shipping Time" report

-no impact to the new "Late Shipment Rate" (ie I still show 0% here) report

It is possible the latest one, if it came on Sunday might still show up on the new report given the 48 hour delay caveat.

So I presume then that both gave me 1s for shipping but still answered "Yes" to the new question about if it arrived in time.

I really have to wonder if the latest one was meant for someone else because I doubt it got to France in 3 business days.

I am miffed about the earlier one, it was from someone who sells as much as they buy and saying it was better than extremely fast shipping (not their words), which isn't what they normally say in their feedback, ie they said mine was better than others, and then answering yes to in time, and then giving a 1 DSR on shipping time (rest were ok) makes no sense. 

But here I am again worrying about non-sensical reporting when really I should be spending this time listing more items... "letting go" of the "bad" reporting stuff is going to be hard for me to do.....

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

@ricarmic wrote:

I really have to wonder if the latest one was meant for someone else because I doubt it got to France in 3 business days.

It is rare, but not impossible. I once shipped a package to another customer in France on a Friday and he got it on Monday. The average delivery time for this particular buyer is 3-4 business days.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

So I presume then that both gave me 1s for shipping but still answered "Yes" to the new question about if it arrived in time.

Or, as you suggested earlier, they didn't answer it all.  Did you notice if your total number of 'responses' go up. My shipping time was based on 10 when I last looked on Wednesday. I see today that it based on 11 even though I've had more than one feedback since Wednesday.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

I don't know if you read the weekly board last Wednesday but it sounds as if we will have a minimum number of 'late shipping' defects before they can affect our status. So if 2 dings puts me over the percentage, it may not count until I reach the minimum amount of defects.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi PJ! Hmm yes that is a good point. My base number has been slowly rising but there's no way for me to know if it rose after they answered, I haven't been watching it that closely.

I actually filled out feedback today for something I bought, and the question is quite predominant, and it comes before the DSRs so I would figure most people, if they're going to go on on to answer the DSRs they wouldn't skip the timing question? Then again one never knows!!!

Hi Lady! Hmm well then perhaps he did get it. I'm not going to contact him, I'm worried about language barrier problems and generally once one begins talking to them more things unfold ie the INAD will probably cost me $$$ to fix if I start talking to him. Although I've sold several hundred of those lots and that's the first INAD ever for that particular product..
Message 13 of 13
latest reply