Shipping in Canada: eBay/Shippo vs Snap Ship vs PayPal

Working from the top down...

Canada Post Priority

You're paying for speed. For smaller size packages look at using prepaid envelopes to save a few dollars.

Until July 31: Snap Ship (if you can get it to work) with 15% off has the best price.

August 1 forward: eBay/Shippo, PayPal, CP Snap Ship, CP EST are all the same.

Canada Post XpressPost

For smaller size packages look at using prepaid envelopes to save a few dollars.

Until July 31: Snap Ship (if you can get it to work) with 15% off has the best price.

Canada Post Regular Parcel

No reason to use if you have Canada Post's free Solutions for Small Business membership. Expedited Parcel is the better choice and value.

Canada Post Expedited Parcel

Expedited Parcel includes $100 insurance (more is optional). Weight range steps are 0-750g, 751g-1000g, then 500g steps after that. Cost varies depending on start and end locations. Volumetric size surcharge may apply (package LxWxH in cm/6000 = dimemsional weight in kg).

Until July 31: The best value is either

Snap Ship (if you can get it to work) with 15% off or

PayPal (direct) which has a July discount matching Snap Ship.

August 1 forward: eBay via Shippo has the best price. Around $1 better than PayPal, CP Snap Ship, or CP EST (those 3 are all the same).

Alternative pricing: If you are located near a chichatsexpress.com or stallionexpress.com location then you can take advantage of their flat rate discounted pricing for the 10 Canadian provinces.  Per package price plus so much per 500g.

Canada Post Lettermail

For packages that are 500g or under, and no thicker than 2cm. No insurance (you have to self insure), no tracking. But it's flat rate for anywhere in Canada. Prices shown are stamped rates without tax. And can be even less expensive if you use discounted stamps (bought on ebay, from estate auctions, from stamp dealers, etc at less than face value).

Canada - Lettermail (rates unchanged since 2014)

Up to 5mm thick
000-030g .. 0.85
031-050g .. 1.20

Up to 2cm thick
051-100g .. 1.80
101-200g .. 2.95
201-300g .. 4.10
301-400g .. 4.70
401-500g .. 5.05

If you sign into your Solutions for Small Business account you can see all your Canada Post parcels -- even those bought through Shippo or Paypal.

-..-

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Snap Ship (if you can get it to work) with 15% off has the best price.

Ain't that the truth! I tried using it last night and this morning...no luck! Counter productive if they offer a service,especially with a decent discount, only not to be able to use it!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:
... I tried using it last night and this morning...no luck! Counter productive if they offer a service,especially with a decent discount, only not to be able to use it!

Lots of reports this week that the latest update broke things for more people.

Phone to complain. Have your Solutions for Small Business number handy.

Solutions for Small Business: 1-877-262-5762 (M-F, 7-11 ET, weekend, 9–9 ET)

Technical Support: 1-866-511-0546

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Presently on hold to do just that. The outgoing message said to 'expect a five-minute wait' before being connected to the next available agent.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I feel like stabbing myself with a ballpoint pen. I'm on my second agent. I'm being told that Snap Ship is for use by invitation only and I should be using EST. Neither seem to want to admit there is a problem here. Also, I'm told to try Chrome. I laughed out loud. 

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Now on hold for my third agent at the Help Desk. It's been 20 minutes and counting. 

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Technical support at Canada Post -- my third agent -- confirms she is seeing the same problem as I am seeing and that they know there is an issue which they are trying to fix. "Working diligently to fix." Use EST in the meantime, they say.

So, that's that. No timeframe given for a fix. Widespread problem. 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

OMG! Three agents to get the truth!?! What a sad sad situation at CP. I have been busy this morning...but I'm going to take up ypdc_dennis's suggestion to give them a call. And I'm going to check again to see if I can get access to Snap Ship. I have to hear what they are going to say to me!...lol. In the meantime I'm going to stick to my usual method of simply going to the postal outlet for my shipping needs, but I would also like to use PayPal integrated with my SfSB card. It's **bleep**py that Canadian Sellers have to pay more for shipping things! 

Message 8 of 8
latest reply