Shipping items with a rechargeable (lithium ion) battery?

I'm curious about shipping small electronics with rechargeable lithium ion batteries. Things like iPhones, other smartphones, Nintendo DS, Game Boy Advance SP (and other video game handhelds with rechargeable batteries), digital cameras, etc...

Are you able to ship these across the border? According to the Canada Post website, as of Jan. 14, 2013, it is safe and fine to ship these within Canada, but not across the border. Yet when I search for these items on eBay I see thousands of listings originating in Canada, saying they will ship to the U.S. Is this not illegal? How are these sellers getting away with it? Wouldn't customs just stop it? I have a few handheld video game systems I'm interested in selling, but if I can't ship to the states or internationally that makes it more difficult.

Removing the battery isn't really an option either - many of these devices do not have easily removable batteries, as they weren't meant to be removed.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

knaashas
Community Member

I too have the same question. Also, does the restriction apply if we choose surface mail instead of air?

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

There is no more "surface mail" to the states though.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

mcheu
Community Member

If you're close enough to the border and have a car, some sellers drive across the border and mail out from a US post office.   This side steps any issues with Canada Post policy.

Some even do that for items ending up in Canada, because postage from the USPS to Canada is often cheaper than mailing from Canada Post to a Canadian destination.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

There is no more "surface mail" to the states though.

I thought that expedited USA is surface mail?

Oops..just realized that post was from 2013.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Why are you worrying about this? Just ship it. And this business of small packet... If it fits through the 2cm slot and is 100g or less then we just send it lettermail to USA and international.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

This post was from two years ago. I'm surprised it got resurrected - however, obviously, someone must have had the same question, and therefore searched for it. My original intention with this post was to see if there were others who had sent such items, and whether or not they had received any resistance from Canada Post; based on the initial lack of replies I assume that the sellers who frequent this board don't commonly sell items with internal batteries.

"Why are you worrying about this?"

The obvious answer would be: if Canada Post prohibits it, and they notice it (especially if shipped international, and therefore has a customs declaration), the shipment may not be completed. I shouldn't have to expand on the negative repercussions of such an incident.

"And this business of small packet... If it fits through the 2cm slot and is 100g or less then we just send it lettermail to USA and international."

Who said anything about small packet?

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

This may answer the question as far as shipping to the USA by mail:

http://www.cnet.com/news/usps-to-ban-overseas-shipments-on-tablets-smartphones-more/

Canada Post requirements are:

Lithium Batteries

For the most part, lithium cells and batteries used to power electronics such as music storage devices, cameras, cellular devices and laptops would meet the required conditions. However, batteries, such as electric bicycle batteries and wheelchair batteries, are NOT acceptable.

• Check the International Destinations Listing to ensure that the international destination accepts devices with lithium batteries installed.
  • A Customs Declaration form must be fully completed and the content of the package must be properly declared (US & International only).
  • Lithium batteries alone or those packed with (not installed in) equipment are only accepted on domestic ground transport. These are not acceptable for transport in the air or for any destination outside of Canada.

https://www.canadapost.ca/business/tools/pg/manual/pgabcmail-e.asp#1510298

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Everything has a battery nowadays. People and companies ship these things all over the place and this has never been an issue.

I think the world would be in big trouble if these batteries could not be shipped. How did your cell phone get to you? Someone did not walk it to your city from where it landed in Canada.

Some people would be all paranoid about sending a cell phone battery by lettermail. We were just pointing out that it is silly to worry about it and just send it lettermail. There is no reason it will not make the journey and nobody will be knocking on your door about it.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"Everything has a battery nowadays."

There are batteries and there are lithium batteries.  Different rules apply.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

How did your cell phone get to you? Someone did not walk it to your city from where it landed in Canada.

No, but they did not drop it in a paper envelope and toss it in a mailbox either.

Most items are carefully packed to prevent breakage, both because broken items are unsaleable items and because the broken item may be an environmental hazard.

I suspect that the PO's caution is based on careless amateur handling, not on professional commercial packing.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply