Shipping to Overseas w/o Tracking

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been answered several time before but here it goes..

Would i be covered if i ask the buyer to provide me a message through ebay that he takes entire responsibility of his shipment by accepting the cost effective shipping method "small packet" by canada post post? Or would he still be able to come back and get a refund even with the message he sends and will have to refund him since theres no tracking?
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

No, you would not be covered.... the buyer could still open a "item not received" claim it doesn't arrive.

If the buyer is honorable they will accept the consequences stipulated in your agreement.

If the buyer requested that you send the package without tracking then they are probably setting you up for a freebie... avoid this situation or send it with a tracking number.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I am a grouchy cynical old bat who would be asking the buyer if he would prefer to have the transaction cancelled since he cannot afford secure shipping.

Tracking is one of the most useful Seller Protections going. It is the reason why American sellers lover the Global Shipping Program. They can ship with cheap domestic tracking to Kentucky and be covered wherever the parcel ends up.

I am quiite comfortable shipping without tracking in most of my categories, but perfume? No way.

I agree that your buyer is setting you up for an Item Not Received dispute.

And you will lose.

BTW, perfume is one of those products that is technically not mailable because the oils and alcohols are flammable. Even with confirmation of delivery, your buyer may learn it has been seized at the border.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Also... Never ship anything surface mail, you are guaranteed to receive a "item not received" claim. Airmail only.   

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

24 REPLIES 24

No, you would not be covered.... the buyer could still open a "item not received" claim it doesn't arrive.

If the buyer is honorable they will accept the consequences stipulated in your agreement.

If the buyer requested that you send the package without tracking then they are probably setting you up for a freebie... avoid this situation or send it with a tracking number.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

I am a grouchy cynical old bat who would be asking the buyer if he would prefer to have the transaction cancelled since he cannot afford secure shipping.

Tracking is one of the most useful Seller Protections going. It is the reason why American sellers lover the Global Shipping Program. They can ship with cheap domestic tracking to Kentucky and be covered wherever the parcel ends up.

I am quiite comfortable shipping without tracking in most of my categories, but perfume? No way.

I agree that your buyer is setting you up for an Item Not Received dispute.

And you will lose.

BTW, perfume is one of those products that is technically not mailable because the oils and alcohols are flammable. Even with confirmation of delivery, your buyer may learn it has been seized at the border.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

One buyer is from Thailand & the other from Israel, perfumes are $60 & $50 ea. Canada Post offers International Surface without tracking but with $100 coverage for about $45/50. I'm not sure if i should offer it to the buyers considering i'm covered? Or without tracking i'm wasting time?

I'm only gonna sell to Canada & the US from now on but am not sure about these 2 i have sold 😞 with tracking we're looking at $80+

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Thailand is questionable and Israel is on my Do Not Ship list. And in both cases, for a change the problem is not a bad customs or postal system.

And I happily ship to Kazakistan (mostly copies of Roberts Rules of Order for some reason.)

When you lose an Item Not Received dispute, you lose the item that probably did arrive, the payment, the cost of shipping, and just as a cherry on top, get a Defect on your selling account.

Is there such a thing as a quadrafecta?

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

Also... Never ship anything surface mail, you are guaranteed to receive a "item not received" claim. Airmail only.   

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

Tracked Packet is tracked airmail for goods up to 2 kg in all cases except the USA where the limit is 1 kg, and is available from Canada Post Corporation (CPC) to 31 countries but paypal shipping is slow to recognize that. For some destinations, you need to use the CPC website and their Electronic Shipping Tool (EST) or buy it at the postal counter using your Solutions for Small Business (formerly VentureOne) card to get a modest discount. 

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

You cannot ship perfume by air.

Ground will take 2-3 months and the buyer will be forced to open an INR. You will then have to refund and hope they re-pay once it arrives.

Your choices are poor. Some things are not meant for international mail order, perfume is one of them.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 25
latest reply

You cannot ship perfume by air.

----------

If shipping via Canada Post, you can not ship perfume at all, regardless of method. It is considered a Class 3 Dangerous Good and classified as "non-mailable matter".

If you wanted to ship perfumes, or other flammable alcohol-based items, from within Canada you would have to go through a courier that is licensed to do so; I know Purolator can do this, I assume the other major couriers can as well.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Everything you ever wanted to know and more:

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp#1378224
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

So basically I cannot ship perfumes even to North America (Canada / USA) via CPC Expedited Service?

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

Regrettably, no. Like another poster said above, you'll need to inquire with a courier service. Perfume isn't mailable via Canada Post. Do some sellers get away with it? I don't know, maybe. But I do expect they'd get into a heap of trouble if caught.
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Sadly, not what I wanted to know.

Photobucket
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Sadly, not what I wanted to know.

No? What about this one? It's equally as exciting and also informative to the Original Poster. It's the link to everything banned from import in the world. Some odd things on this list. 

https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/pgIntDest-e.asp?letter=R%C2%A0

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

(There are, for example, special restrictions with importing 'cosmetic' goods (not certain if that includes perfumes specifically) into Thailand and everything over about $19 CAD is subject to additional Customs fees.)

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

Wow that's a lot of info i did not know about..truly appreciate all your help!

I cancelled the orders to Thailand and Israel and already sold one of the perfumes to a US buyer..I called CPC and asked about shipping perfumes to North America to confirm the guidelines on their site, as long as it's not alcohol based and properly packaged we can ship perfume..

Best regards!

Samy

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I'm glad to hear it's working out for you. Best of luck with your endeavours here. 

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

MJ! Not entirely what I meant.
Photobucket
Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:
Regrettably, no. Like another poster said above, you'll need to inquire with a courier service. Perfume isn't mailable via Canada Post. Do some sellers get away with it? I don't know, maybe. But I do expect they'd get into a heap of trouble if caught.

I wonder how big companies manage this.  I've ordered perfume from Lancôme, Estee Lauder, Lise Watier, Yves Rocher, and others, and they've all been shipped to me via Canada Post .... for years.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply