Shipping to Overseas w/o Tracking

Hi,

I'm sure this question has been answered several time before but here it goes..

Would i be covered if i ask the buyer to provide me a message through ebay that he takes entire responsibility of his shipment by accepting the cost effective shipping method "small packet" by canada post post? Or would he still be able to come back and get a refund even with the message he sends and will have to refund him since theres no tracking?
Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Actually i called Canada Post. You can ship perfume, just can't ship Alcohol Based ones..now at this point do they check if every perfume shipment for Alcohol? Probably not..
Message 21 of 25
latest reply

Actually i called Canada Post. You can ship perfume, just can't ship Alcohol Based ones..now at this point do they check if every perfume shipment for Alcohol? Probably not..

----------

I think you will find that the vast majority of perfumes have alcohol as the main ingredient.

Will they check if every perfume shipment has alcohol? Probably not, no, but If the parcel is travelling internationally, and declared as perfume on a customs form, then I'd have to imagine it is more likely than not that it will be inspected. If it was brought to a Canada Post outlet, the parcel would be refused (assuming the clerk was doing their job properly). If the parcel was tossed in a mailbox then it might make it to the sorting centre and perhaps someone would notice there (parcel could be returned to sender or simply discarded at this point). If it went to customs then they would definitely have reasonable cause to open the parcel and inspect it (as part of the Government of Canada's Transportation of Dangerous Goods Legislation).

Packaging the perfume yourself and mailing it domestically will have the least likely chance of getting caught (again, assuming you do not go to a post office and just deposit the item in a mailbox). But even then, just because it might not get caught does not mean you should mail it; these regulations are in place by the government for safety reasons.

If you are a contract customer with Canada Post, or a Solutions for Small Business customer then you may be able to get special authorization from Canada Post to mail certain dangerous goods assuming you adhere to whatever guidelines they stipulate. CP describes this as "limited quantity" or "excepted quantity", but I'm not sure what exactly that terminology means. Refer to Section 6 on this page for more information and a phone number you can call to get some more information: https://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGnonmail-e.asp - I'd have to imagine that other major retailers that ship perfume via Canada Post have some special agreement with the government/Canada Post.

Message 22 of 25
latest reply

What you're saying, dinomite, is more in keeping with what I've always thought. Out of curiosity, I'll ask at my local postal counter the next time I go in, and also inquire the next time I have to call CPC. I'm not at all discounting what's been posted, I wonder if there is a grey area in this that is interpreted differently by different people so that a sender gets a different answer based on how the question is worded and who may be answering it.
Message 23 of 25
latest reply

Also, I myself have zero experience shipping liquids, period. I had wondered if I could mail an out-of- province friend a case of pop (domestically) since I would buy it in the USA myself and bring it across the border with my car. They don't sell Mello Yello in Canada.
Message 24 of 25
latest reply

Yes, pop is fine. Liquids without alcohol in them are generally fine to mail (assuming it's not prohibited in whatever country you are sending it to). I have customers that regularly mail Canadian sodas to friends down south.

As a postal clerk who just recently went through the extensive online/in-person training I can assure you that Canada Post makes it very clear that perfume is "non-mailable matter". Will every postal clerk know this and regulate it? Hell no - the vast majority of postal clerks I've come across seem to not be all that informed on Canada Post regulations. Canada Post's position on it is quite clear though - I'm not sure why there is even some doubt towards it. You shared the link yourself, mj.

Ask for a pamphlet on "Dangerous Goods" next time you stop by your local post office. They are required to keep them in stock and hand them out when necessary.

Message 25 of 25
latest reply