Shopping cart disconnect is ruining my business!!

Situation #1:

Buyer put 3 items in his cart and tried to request combined shipping and eBay would not allow it. I told him to use the shopping cart on eBay.ca instead or to "commit to buy". He then responded that he was on eBay.ca and that it wouldn't let him ask for combined postage.

Unfortunately for him, in the meantime, another buyer purchased 2 items out of the 3 he wanted. Then, it was not worth it for him to buy the remaining one, so I lost this sale.

Situation #2:

Another buyer ask me to remove the Immediate Payment required on my listings even though I do NOT have it. I explained that eBay forces buyers to pay immediately for items under a certain amount. And that they want to force buyers to use the cart. Unfortunately, the cart does not work for items listed outside of eBay.COM. So I tell him to "Commit to Buy" his items on eBay.CA or to send "Best Offer" on the items that have that option. He managed to commit to buy 2 photos and then sent offers on 4 other items.

HOWEVER, within 2 hours - yes, in less than 2 hours - he retracts his offers saying he was "not able to contact seller". Seriously, he expected me to respond to his offers within less than 2 hours on a beautiful Saturday? I know he just changed his mind and lied on the reason for his change of heart. And now, he wants me to cancel the other 2 items he committed to buy....

The main thing is, I don't really blame him... I think he just changed his mind because he was tired of trying to buy the photos he wanted. Because of the cart disconnect, I lost 2 combined sales of about $200. But how many more did I loose because buyers did not bother to contact me? Seriously eBay, when will you realise that this "cart disconnect" issue is MUCH MORE serious than you *think* it is? How many more sales will I have to loose before you do something about it? And don't tell me to list on eBay.COM. I NEED the shipping calculator for my items and until you find a way to include Canada Post in .COM, I cannot use it!

Thank you for letting me vent here. Do not worry, I was very calm when I responded to my buyers. Fortunately, I can vent here and be angry as much as I want and need to. 😉

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

I explained that eBay forces buyers to pay immediately for items under a certain amount.

Did that policy change happen in the last 24 hours? Because most of my items are priced at $9.99 including shipping (Canada and USA) and I have sales daily with no problems.

I rarely have multiple sales however. Is that where the glitch is coming in?

Message 2 of 42
latest reply

All my items are designated with the Cash on Pickup option as well so it prevents me from having Immediate Payment Required. I haven't had a multi-item order for weeks. One item at a time.

Message 3 of 42
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I explained that eBay forces buyers to pay immediately for items under a certain amount.

Did that policy change happen in the last 24 hours? Because most of my items are priced at $9.99 including shipping (Canada and USA) and I have sales daily with no problems.

I rarely have multiple sales however. Is that where the glitch is coming in?

I should have specified that this has now been the rule on eBay.COM for at least a year - if not more. You cannot "Commit to buy" there anymore. I know, because I often buy items and if they are BIN, I have to log out of .COM and log in on .CA to use "Commit to Buy".

Message 4 of 42
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

All my items are designated with the Cash on Pickup option as well so it prevents me from having Immediate Payment Required. I haven't had a multi-item order for weeks. One item at a time.

I also have this option on every one of my items, but it does not prevent the IPR on eBay.COM. Unfortunately.

Message 5 of 42
latest reply

Right. As far as the US Cart is concerned, we are outta luck as ebay.ca sellers. Nothing will change that. Ever. Regardless, this is what I put at the bottom of all my listings in the Payment Details field:

Seller's payment instructions

If you are shopping from ebay.com or ebay.co.uk, you will discover you cannot add items listed on ebay.ca to your US Cart or UK Basket. Log into www.ebay.ca to take full advantage of our combined postage discounts and free shipping promotions. You’ll be glad you did

Don't forget this isn't just a ebay.com problem; ebay.ca items won't fit into the Shopping Basket on ebay.co.uk either. 
Message 6 of 42
latest reply

New update on situation #2: I knew the name of the buyer sounded familiar, but I did not realise who this person was until now... And I can't believe this person created another account just to screw up my sales. Again! Yeah, I blocked this person a while back because the buyer never paid for items that ended way much higher than he/she thought it would. She/he demanded free shipping or she/he would not pay. Well... I opened an UID and the person got a strike. I also put the username on my blocked list. But this person is back under a new username to cause me trouble again.

I thought to write to this person, to tell that what he/she did was against eBay rules and that I discovered her/his scheme. But I finally decided to just report the person without writing any message. Hopefully, eBay will do something about it. Until then, I have to open 2 new UID in 3 days.... and wait 4 days. I thought eBay was supposed to change the rules to 2 days? Is it only on eBay.COM? If it is, it is totally unfair to make us wait that long, especially in a situation like mine. 😞

Message 7 of 42
latest reply

I do have something similar to your message in my listings, but not all of them. I did not have the chance to update every listing yet.

However, the first buyer I was talking about used ebay.CA and even then, it was not working. Maybe the person was using his/her phone to buy? I don't know... that, or the shopping cart does not always work correctly.

Message 8 of 42
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

I do have something similar to your message in my listings, but not all of them. I did not have the chance to update every listing yet.

However, the first buyer I was talking about used ebay.CA and even then, it was not working. Maybe the person was using his/her phone to buy? I don't know... that, or the shopping cart does not always work correctly.

Very true, the shopping cart does not always work right and doesn't exist for ebay.ca on the iPhone app for certain.

And the two-day UID is only available on ebay.com. We're not eligible here.

There are many inequalities, things that make us the poor cousin. The cart, ebay Bucks, Sales Maximizer features that don't exist for us, coupon codes..... those are only a few that come to mind. Oh, a vacant Product Catalogue. There's another one. 

Message 9 of 42
latest reply

completely sympathize, and I've been banging my head against a huge brick wall for months at the Wednesday Board Hours trying to impress upon them that this is a far larger problem for Canadian sellers than eBay.ca staffers believe (or at least claim). 

You are right that this issue is yet another hardship and handicap for Canadian sellers (as if we didn't already have enough challenges vis-à-vis our American counterparts.  The "cart disconnect" has been ruining my ability to make multiple sales (and unfortunately the majority of my items are the type that used to attract a lot of multiple orders before the whole cart mess began).  It's probably also losing me a lot of frustrated buyers that I will never hear from or know about. 

Now the eBay.ca staffers claim that the eBay.ca cart functions perfectly if one is logged onto .ca.  However, my tests have shown there are problems even there.  The situation #1 you describe may be yet another sign that things aren't functioning correctly even within .ca. 

Some time ago I put up the notice which you'll see on my storefront page, asking buyers to log onto .ca or contact me if they're having any problems checking out.  However, I frankly think U.S. buyers will be reluctant to sign onto a site other than .com, and the rest just won't bother to ask me to help them. 

The "Immediate Payment Required" for items under $1,000 (I believe that's the ceiling if I recall correctly) has, to my understanding, been in effect for about a year, and as you say, it can be a serious problem-maker that just adds another layer of complexity and dysfunction to the already badly broken cart system.  

Apparently IPR was the final blow in the "disconnect" between the US and Canadian carts, but who really knows whether it may also be affecting the .ca checkout system?  The scenario #2 you mention really should not have happened if your items were all listed on .ca, and you didn't have IPR on them.  

There are two factors involved which I think are influencing eBay's reluctance to do anything about this problem: 

1)  It's almost exclusively a problem for Canadian sellers (for the reason that I would think most of us have a large U.S. buyer base who shop on .com).  Accordingly, or so we're told, eBay headquarters in the U.S. has virtually no interest in making our little problems their priority; 

2)  EBay is making money (in FVFs on shipping) from every Canadian seller every time a .com buyer can't make a combined multiple order using the .com cart in order to get the seller's shipping discounts, and ends up purchasing all the items individually.  In most cases, honest sellers will refund the excess shipping to the buyer (at least I do), but in the meantime eBay has already collected all the FVFs on the individual items' shipping costs.  This may amount to only a dollar or two per occurrence, but multiply that by the thousands of times this problem likely occurs every day, and eBay is raking in a lot of free money from Canadian sellers.  Why kill the cash cow? 

I'm sorry if I sound rather bitter and cynical about this issue, but frankly I've come to the point where I've realized there is almost nothing I can do about it except hold out a meager hope that it may get fixed someday (or else list on .com, which for many legitimate reasons I do not want to do).  

It's a very sad and disgusting situation for an online selling venue as big and powerful in the marketplace as eBay is to make it so difficult for buyers to simply choose what they want and pay for it, simply, quickly and easily.  For some reason, other online venues have been able to figure this out.  

You are absolutely right that buyers are not going to want to have to do "workarounds" or go through complicated steps to checkout and pay.  That's a huge problem for Canadian sellers, and I would think it should also be a concern for eBay HQ because every buyer who gets fed up trying to choose and pay for his items may just decide to give up on eBay completely. 

Of course, if you're inclined toward conspiracy theories, you could not imagine a better way to finally deliver the coup de grâce to Canadian sellers in order to encourage them to migrate to .com (and perhaps close down .ca forever?).  Oh, but I'm looking for logical motives in eBay -- I forget that they are quite capable of being just plain stupid. Woman LOL

Sorry for the vent too, but this subject really isn't funny anymore.  

Message 10 of 42
latest reply

Up until now, I have not been affected (to my knowledge) by the dysfunctional shopping cart.  No one ever contacted me for instructions on how to buy multiple items.  Several people have bought and paid for 2 or 3 items individually, without even contacting me, in which case I refunded a portion of the shipping cost.

However, during this slow, slow summer, I just lost a 5-item sale today.  The person contacted me saying she was having trouble with the cart; we messaged back and forth; she willingly tried every suggestion I gave her and she finally gave up.  She would have been happy to make five separate purchases but, for some reason, eBay would not allow her to do that.  She received messages indicating that "Buy it Now" could not be used for auctions, even though these were fixed price items, or that the item was not available.  In the end, I thanked her for her patience and that was it.  In addition to my losing money which I really could have used, the larger issue is that she will likely be deterred from making future purchases from a Canadian seller ..... just too much trouble!  Multiply that by the number of Americans who have likely encountered similar problems, and it has implications for us all.

Message 11 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Actually don't you think that eBay should "retire" shopping cart?  It seems it is causing way too much problems.

I have many buyers that bought multiple items and asked me to send them the invoices with combined shipping which is no problems unlike with shopping cart. 

Again, don't you think it is time that shopping cart to be "retired" to reduce the continue problems??  I honestly don't understand why some of you are using shopping cart when in fact it is a hassle and pain in the a**?

Message 12 of 42
latest reply

Just for curiosity, did this person delete the items from her shopping cart before trying to buy them individually? That may explain why she was not able to. Just a thought, since I don't know what was said 😉

Message 13 of 42
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually don't you think that eBay should "retire" shopping cart?  It seems it is causing way too much problems.

I have many buyers that bought multiple items and asked me to send them the invoices with combined shipping which is no problems unlike with shopping cart. 

Again, don't you think it is time that shopping cart to be "retired" to reduce the continue problems??  I honestly don't understand why some of you are using shopping cart when in fact it is a hassle and pain in the a**?

I do agree that it would be a much simpler solution to just get rid of the shopping cart and creating a new one that is universal and WORKS. But eBay won't do that, it is just too plain easy.

By the way, I am NOT using the cart. But buyers on .COM are told and forced to use it. That is why so many problems occur. At least for us Canadian sellers.

Message 14 of 42
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

Just for curiosity, did this person delete the items from her shopping cart before trying to buy them individually? That may explain why she was not able to. Just a thought, since I don't know what was said 😉

That I don't know.  It reached the point where I knew she had become impatient, so I didn't push it.  Had I been selling very unique items, perhaps she might have continued but I'm sure she must have finally said -- to heck with it, there are a lot of U.S. sellers with the same items.

It would have been easier to communicate, as well, if one or the other of us could have provided our personal e-mail addresses.  I attempted to and alerted her to the fact that it would be "in code" and I hoped she would be able to interpret it, but she couldn't figure it out.  Had she been able to, I would have simply bypassed eBay and their fees and sent her an invoice for the 5 items.  Obviously that's what they're trying to avoid, but I would have done it without even feeling guilty, since it is their fault that the cart doesn't work properly and we lose sales.

Message 15 of 42
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

Up until now, I have not been affected (to my knowledge) by the dysfunctional shopping cart.  No one ever contacted me for instructions on how to buy multiple items.  Several people have bought and paid for 2 or 3 items individually, without even contacting me, in which case I refunded a portion of the shipping cost.

I think you've just summed up in a nutshell both why this should be such a worry for Canadians and why eBay will do nothing about it anytime soon.  

None of us has any real idea how many (multiple) sales we may have lost over the past year as a result of U.S. buyers getting frustrated and giving up.  The way I see it is that if only half of my buyers are now leaving feedback, probably far less are now going to bother contacting me directly over a checkout problem.  

Not only that, but eBay has made it far more difficult for buyers to simply message sellers directly.  It used to be a few years ago the "Contact Seller" link was right up top alongside the seller's store name and ID.  Now it's buried in a completely inconspicuous and hard to locate spot. 

The second part of your comments above are what makes me even more upset over this issue -- basically adding insult to injury, literally.  EBay's system makes .com multiple purchases impossible, tells us they'll be unlikely to ever fix it, but in the meantime eBay charges us FVFs on all the excess shipping charges on multiple orders because the system doesn't work!  How's that for a scam?  Whether the seller recoups those charges by deducting them from what is refunded to the buyer, one or the other party is paying eBay for all those FVF fees.  I think it's disgusting -- at the very least eBay should be refunding sellers whenever this occurs.  

Incidentally, I can tell you why your buyer was seeing messages about not being able to pay for "auction items" and that the items were "unavailable".  It took some of us a while to solve the mystery a couple of months ago through a series of tests, but it turns out that if a buyer is on .com, selects item #1, then follows eBay's prompt to use the Cart for item #2, if they are buying from a Canadian seller they will see ludicrous messages on the Cart screen next to the items saying: "Sent to online auction" and/or "Not available".  

Some Canadian sellers decided to specify "Immediate Payment Required" on every single item listed, which in effect will force a .com buyer to have to select and pay for each desired item individually.  They won't be able to even get as far as the Cart, but it hardly matters since the .com Cart doesn't work for such purchases anyway.  There are some concerns in using IPR, such as scaring away buyers who perhaps would rather wait a day or two to pay, but it is one possible interim solution. 

The other way to cope with the Cart disconnect (which doesn't solve the problem at all, but is a hopeful gesture) is to do what I've done and post a message box on my storefront asking .com buyers -- basically my U.S. customers -- to log onto .ca to buy, or to contact me to assist them in checking out.  How ridiculous is that, for a major online venue?  Such a notice, coming from a seller on a site like eBay, is embarrassing and looks unprofessional to say the least.  It says they can't even make the most fundamentally necessary function (payment and checkout) work across their sites!  However, I can only hope that one buyer in ten who is interested in making a multi-item order will see it.  

Of course, Raphael's (eBay staffer) best "workaround" suggestion was for us Canadian sellers to list everything on .com.  That suggestion, coming from an eBay.ca representative, is in my estimation too absurd to even be worth commenting on.  

Message 16 of 42
latest reply

Anytime that I have a multi-item order come in from ebay.com or ebay.co.uk where the buyer had to pay for each item individually, I set aside 20 to 30 minutes to call ebay and request they refund me the final value fee that I have paid on shipping. Of course, I have already packed the order and refunded the buyer for all the individual superfluous postages paid. The reps check this.

Then I also politely explain to the nice rep that in addition to the time I've spent talking to them to get my money back, this incompatible cart/basket problem has also created a paperwork nightmare for me that triples the amount of time that it takes for me to compile for the order. If it was a big order that took an hour to pack from start to finish, this becomes three hours. Seriously. 

Eventually, when ebay has to pay their reps to handle these calls and are required to provide an answer to the question of the reason they are refunding dozens and hundreds and thousands and eventually tens of thousands of final value fees on shipment, someone will get the hint, right? Right? They must pay attention to something and if anything, that something must be money leaving their pockets.

I do a fair amount of online shopping and it's not only ebay that has a malfunctioning checkout from time to time. What is unacceptable to me is that there appears to be no will to see it actually fixed so that we are all on a level playing field.

For me, it's the incompatible cart/basket, the product identifiers, the vacant catalogue, the inability to create promotions that our counterparts on different ebay sites have been doing for so long they take them for granted -- these are all part of a big, huge problemI have right now. I am not feeling the love here, ebay.ca. I really am not. I stand on my soapbox in a crowd to shout my love for you to everyone who will listen but I get no love in return. It reminds me, in fact, of an emotionally abusive relationship I once knew. I expect that ebay.ca will treat me like the decent, honest, hard-working woman that I am but I get only disrespect and second-class, cavalier treatment. And then I bellyache to ebay that I deserve better and does ebay care? Probably not. So why do I stay?

Eventually, the longer this continues, the more of us will ask the question: why do I stay? I mean, really, why do we persist in continuing our relationship with an entity that isn't working for us? We are wasting our breath, I fear. Our time and energy. This will not ever be fixed, the company attitude won't change, the cart won't fix itself... why are we waiting for this to happen?

Maybe it's time to start seeing other people. 

And, no, it's not me, ebay. It's you.

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm stuck in your rut, ebay. Please, please give me another giant make-work project like UPCs and MPNs and this will distract me too long and too much to seek any other suitor.

Suddenly, all the change for the sake of change makes sense, doesn't it? The best way to keep someone under your thumb is to perpetually change the playing field, knock them off-balance, and leave them fearful and always guessing. 

Yes, I am becoming bitter. 

Message 17 of 42
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:

The second part of your comments above are what makes me even more upset over this issue -- basically adding insult to injury, literally.  EBay's system makes .com multiple purchases impossible, tells us they'll be unlikely to ever fix it, but in the meantime eBay charges us FVFs on all the excess shipping charges on multiple orders because the system doesn't work!  How's that for a scam?  Whether the seller recoups those charges by deducting them from what is refunded to the buyer, one or the other party is paying eBay for all those FVF fees.  I think it's disgusting -- at the very least eBay should be refunding sellers whenever this occurs.
I agree ... it's a disgrace.  As mjwl2006 has stated, she calls eBay and requests the return of the excess FVF fees.  Good for her.  We should all be doing that.  But if you're anything like me, you think - oh, it's a dollar or two .... I don't want to deal with that phone call.  Then it's another dollar or two or three.  I shudder to think of the total when all sales are factored in.
Incidentally, I can tell you why your buyer was seeing messages about not being able to pay for "auction items" and that the items were "unavailable".  It took some of us a while to solve the mystery a couple of months ago through a series of tests, but it turns out that if a buyer is on .com, selects item #1, then follows eBay's prompt to use the Cart for item #2, if they are buying from a Canadian seller they will see ludicrous messages on the Cart screen next to the items saying: "Sent to online auction" and/or "Not available". 
I do recall you, and others, discussing this.  In fact, my (potential) buyer did claim that when she tried to clear the cart and start over, one item remained which she couldn't remove, and when a second item was selected, a second cart was opened or the "not available" message appeared, and on and on.  When she gave up using the cart altogether, more strange messages appeared when she tried to buy it outright.
The other way to cope with the Cart disconnect (which doesn't solve the problem at all, but is a hopeful gesture) is to do what I've done and post a message box on my storefront asking .com buyers -- basically my U.S. customers -- to log onto .ca to buy, or to contact me to assist them in checking out.  How ridiculous is that, for a major online venue?  Such a notice, coming from a seller on a site like eBay, is embarrassing and looks unprofessional to say the least.  It says they can't even make the most fundamentally necessary function (payment and checkout) work across their sites!  However, I can only hope that one buyer in ten who is interested in making a multi-item order will see it. 
It's a good idea -- you do what you have to do to overcome eBay's shortcomings.
Of course, Raphael's (eBay staffer) best "workaround" suggestion was for us Canadian sellers to list everything on .com.  That suggestion, coming from an eBay.ca representative, is in my estimation too absurd to even be worth commenting on. 
LOL

Message 18 of 42
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

No I don't think eBay should create something else.  Just retire it and be done with it.  The buyers can contact sellers for the invoice with combined shipping which is not that hard. 

Message 19 of 42
latest reply

Do you know what ebay.ca deficiency is 'ruining my business' more than the inability for American and British customers to make multiple purchases? The fact I am not competitive within Canada to Canadian buyers because I cannot offer same kind of sales PROMOTIONS that my ebay.com counterparts can. You know, the buy-five-get-one-free type of offers?

That's a major problem for me. Huge, major problem. Major huge major problem. Can I stress that enough? 

If we do, in fact, have this feature hidden somewhere on ebay.ca, someone please tell me where. There used to be a dead link called Sales Maximizer that become Promotions which is just as dead. I need this feature to work. The workaround is to offer to 'create a custom bundle' for people and it's too confusing and time-consuming for many buyers to bother asking about and/or waiting for. 

The last time I asked about the dead links to Sales Maximizer/Promotions at the Board Hour, I was told they were working on it, please stand by. This was six months ago. 

Message 20 of 42
latest reply