Shopping cart disconnect is ruining my business!!

Situation #1:

Buyer put 3 items in his cart and tried to request combined shipping and eBay would not allow it. I told him to use the shopping cart on eBay.ca instead or to "commit to buy". He then responded that he was on eBay.ca and that it wouldn't let him ask for combined postage.

Unfortunately for him, in the meantime, another buyer purchased 2 items out of the 3 he wanted. Then, it was not worth it for him to buy the remaining one, so I lost this sale.

Situation #2:

Another buyer ask me to remove the Immediate Payment required on my listings even though I do NOT have it. I explained that eBay forces buyers to pay immediately for items under a certain amount. And that they want to force buyers to use the cart. Unfortunately, the cart does not work for items listed outside of eBay.COM. So I tell him to "Commit to Buy" his items on eBay.CA or to send "Best Offer" on the items that have that option. He managed to commit to buy 2 photos and then sent offers on 4 other items.

HOWEVER, within 2 hours - yes, in less than 2 hours - he retracts his offers saying he was "not able to contact seller". Seriously, he expected me to respond to his offers within less than 2 hours on a beautiful Saturday? I know he just changed his mind and lied on the reason for his change of heart. And now, he wants me to cancel the other 2 items he committed to buy....

The main thing is, I don't really blame him... I think he just changed his mind because he was tired of trying to buy the photos he wanted. Because of the cart disconnect, I lost 2 combined sales of about $200. But how many more did I loose because buyers did not bother to contact me? Seriously eBay, when will you realise that this "cart disconnect" issue is MUCH MORE serious than you *think* it is? How many more sales will I have to loose before you do something about it? And don't tell me to list on eBay.COM. I NEED the shipping calculator for my items and until you find a way to include Canada Post in .COM, I cannot use it!

Thank you for letting me vent here. Do not worry, I was very calm when I responded to my buyers. Fortunately, I can vent here and be angry as much as I want and need to. 😉

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Thank you, pierrelebel! It was a long-time coming. Very few of my buyers leave feedback anymore.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 22 of 42
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Do you know what ebay.ca deficiency is 'ruining my business' more than the inability for American and British customers to make multiple purchases? The fact I am not competitive within Canada to Canadian buyers because I cannot offer same kind of sales PROMOTIONS that my ebay.com counterparts can. You know, the buy-five-get-one-free type of offers?

That's a major problem for me. Huge, major problem. Major huge major problem. Can I stress that enough? 

If we do, in fact, have this feature hidden somewhere on ebay.ca, someone please tell me where. There used to be a dead link called Sales Maximizer that become Promotions which is just as dead. I need this feature to work. The workaround is to offer to 'create a custom bundle' for people and it's too confusing and time-consuming for many buyers to bother asking about and/or waiting for. 

As far as I know, you're right, there is no such feature on .ca.  I offer free shipping to Canadians as a "sort of" alternative, but it's a poor replacement for the real thing.  And you're right -- buyers don't want to be bothered anymore working with a seller to design a custom listing.  If it ain't there to be seen up front and purchased, completely hassle-free, it ain't gonna sell.  

One thing you could try (although who knows if this feature still works properly), is to set up an automated discount rule that provides free shipping on an entire order of, say, 5 items or more, and promote that on your store home page.  This feature should work within .ca for the .ca cart, and I would imagine that free shipping on a larger order might be something close to the cost of an extra item.  This is what I use for my U.S. customers, and it did work -- until eBay created the cart disconnect.  It does still work for my Canadian customers (if I ever get them). 

Another alternative of course would be to simply advertise/market the "buy-X-get-one-free" promotion to your Canadian buyers, on the basis that the cost of the highest (or lowest??) priced item will be refunded after purchase.  An awkward workaround, but perhaps better than nothing if a large portion of your buyers are in Canada. 

The last time I asked about the dead links to Sales Maximizer/Promotions at the Board Hour, I was told they were working on it, please stand by. This was six months ago. 

LOL -- let me see, I wonder, do they have that response recorded yet for instant playback?  How many times have we heard this?

Heh, 'mj', incidentally, (and on a happier note), CONGRATS on reaching 1000!  That must at least have put a wee bit of a shine on your day.  Cheers! Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 42
latest reply

"There used to be a dead link called Sales Maximizer that become Promotions which is just as dead. I need this feature to work."

I am a bit confused here.

Did you ever agree to the Terms (on .com)?

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ConfiguratorAccept

Once you agreed, have you tried to use the function? (Personally I do not and frankly see no need for it as Markdown Manager does the job for my listings)

Message 24 of 42
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"There used to be a dead link called Sales Maximizer that become Promotions which is just as dead. I need this feature to work."

I am a bit confused here.

Did you ever agree to the Terms (on .com)?

http://cgi1.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ConfiguratorAccept

Once you agreed, have you tried to use the function? (Personally I do not and frankly see no need for it as Markdown Manager does the job for my listings)

Holy smokes! 

I have set one up but thus far it does not seem to be functioning. I'll have to look later. Thank you! 

Message 25 of 42
latest reply

Oh wait. I bet it won't work because none of the listings in question have been created on ebay.com. This was my trial. It should show at least 500 listings unless there is another reason they are not eligible. 

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 10.10.29 AM.jpg

Message 26 of 42
latest reply

When you log into your eBay store, log using eBay.com (or change the URL to show .com instead of .ca).

That may work

Message 27 of 42
latest reply

I'm afraid not. The plot only thickens with a 'sold out' that isn't sold and a free shipping on 15+ items that doesn't actually exist. 

Screen Shot 2015-07-28 at 10.34.06 AM.jpg

Message 28 of 42
latest reply

I'm going to put this promotion 'on hold' now since there is no easy way for me to honour or manage it. Does anyone know if we can expect a Board Hour tomorrow? 

Message 29 of 42
latest reply

The Board Hour may not be the ideal place to address this issue.

I suggest you contact Raphael directly

From Last Wednesday:

"We will be unable to hold the Weekly Board Hour this week. We will return next week at the scheduled time. Sorry for the inconvenience.    In the meantime, as always, you can reach me directly via email with any burning questions."

Message 30 of 42
latest reply

Congrats on 1000 feedback!!!
Message 31 of 42
latest reply

Congratulations MJ!  It's a lot harder to get 1000 feedback these days than it was a few years ago.

Good job!!

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

Congrats on 1000!
Message 33 of 42
latest reply

Hi all,

I just wanted to remind everyone to stay on lady.stark's topic of the shopping cart. 

If you'd like to discuss mjwl2006's reaching his red star, please start a new topic in Canada Town Square.

Thanks!

Liz

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Congratulations from me as well!  

Hope future experience will be easier and very successful!

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

@lizzier-ca wrote:

Hi all,

I just wanted to remind everyone to stay on @lady.stark's topic of the shopping cart. 

If you'd like to discuss @momcqueen's reaching his red star, please start a new topic in Canada Town Square.

Thanks!

Liz

Please, please don't rain on our parade.  We Canadian sellers have so little good news these days to share with each other, please don't move it away to the back corner.  This is the place (Seller Central) we look for it.  Woman Happy

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

Hi again 'mj'  -- I re-read your post #17 again today because I had missed it somehow previously, and I have to say that it's sad that so many of us get to that point of cynicism and utter frustration with this entity called eBay. 

For all the site and feature dysfunction that we sellers deal with, many of us still manage to hang on and make some sort of usable profit.  I think that speaks so much more to the resilience of us sellers than the creativity and ability of eBay.

However, what I find really tragic (and stupid) to contemplate is how well we might be doing if eBay would just focus on making selling smooth and rational for sellers, and buying easy and quick for buyers.  Not only would sellers benefit, but eBay would benefit (FVFs).  That seems like such a basic concept, that it boggles the mind to wonder why they don't get it.  

So much is broken now that I fear such a happy convergence of "win-win" will never happen.  They just keep breaking new things.  

And to respond to your comment: 

"Eventually, the longer this continues, the more of us will ask the question: why do I stay? I mean, really, why do we persist in continuing our relationship with an entity that isn't working for us?  

Maybe it's time to start seeing other people."

Actually about 8 months ago, when it became clear to me that the cart disconnect was not only not going to be resolved anytime soon, but in a Hydra-like way was far more insidious a problem than we had originally understood, I began to see the writing on the wall and I did start "seeing other people".  

It was the only way to ensure that if eBay introduced one more Seller Update that would finally make it so difficult and time-consuming to sell here that I couldn't justify the input for the returns I was getting, I'd at least have a couple of back up plans.  Ironically those "back-ups" are more enjoyable, and far less work and struggle than eBay.  They are actually giving me a decent profit when measured against the input.  Fancy that.  

Sadly, had eBay only recognized this earlier, I'm convinced it could have found a way to keep both its big and its traditional smaller sellers happy.  It could have been such an outstanding place.  Instead, I'd bet eBay has either lost or alienated legions of smaller sellers through their lack of foresight and desire to capture the big "trophy sellers".  Surely many of the smaller sellers, once fed up with eBay, will never return.  And who can blame them?

So now we have David Wenig making promises about focusing on the traditional core of smaller sellers.  Well, we'll see what comes of that.  It may be the usual bumph from eBay, or it may be sincere, but what it says to me is that it's the usual closing-the-barn-door-after-the-horse-has-fled kind of thinking that has characterized eBay for years.  Cause a problem by total lack of creativity and forethought, then make speeches to patch up the crisis after it inevitably occurs.  From my perspective, eBay is the one on probation for the next few months. 

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Hey, congrats mjwl2006! 1000 is really awesome these days!

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

Thank you everyone. I feel gratified to meet the red-star mark and I truly thank you all for helping me to celebrate it. 

I chose ebay to start my store a few years ago because I saw a need that I could fill and really did feel like this was the place to be because I've had nothing but great things to say about ebay since creating my first account as a buyer in 1999. I mean, really: everything in the world that you could think you might want is available whenever you want it on ebay! What could possibly be better than that?

But lately..... I don't even know what is left to say. I don't like sounding so negative because I am not a pessimist but I feel like I can't do my best as a seller when I am constantly being required to contort myself to compensate for cart malfunctions and an inability to create promotions and when I have to triple-check what ebay is doing to my listings whenever the new Product Catalogue hijacks Item Specifics and replaces my information with that which is no longer correct. I want to succeed as a result of my loyalty to ebay not despite it. 

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I want to succeed as a result of my loyalty to ebay not despite it. 

Yes, that's precisely how I've been feeling since about mid-2013, i.e. that whatever success I have has been in spite of eBay's policies, rules, features, changes and endless promises.  

Up until that point I felt that if I worked within the system, followed the rules to a "T" and kept my nose clean I'd be able to ride along easily on the eBay stream.  Now (to extend the metaphor), I feel I'm always bucking the current created by the eBay juggernaut and barely keeping my head above water.  

More and more effort is required as the months go by, for less result, despite being a "top-rated" seller. That designation seems to have no meaning now anyway.  I feel I'm only managing to keep my business here viable through my own wits and workarounds.  

Message 40 of 42
latest reply