Small packet International rates

Would someone give me the 3 rates for small packet International please? I find Canada Post website very user unfriendly.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Description of the service (small packet):

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/smallpacketusaintlair_en.pdf

Rates depend on destination.

Light packet prices (international) - must not exceed 20mm (2cm) thickness:

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/International.pdf

up to 200g: $7.50

up to 300g: $11.50

up to 500g:  $21.00

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

Here you go: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/SBParcels-e.pdf

on the last page. EU is zone 2, Japan is zone 4, Australia is zone 5.

More friendly versions are here, in Postal Prices Fanholds: http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/prices/

Hope that helps.

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

Thank you both so much. Does small packet International only go up to 500g Pierre? I wondered if it went to 1000g.

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

Not understanding something here. Light Packet or Small Packet? Two different things. Pierre's prices do not correlate to Small Packet.

SP to the US is $8.13. Worldwide it varies from a little over $9 to around $11, for under 250 grams.

250-500 grams, US is $10.76, world is $17-$21. Over 500 grams, US is $16 something, and world is $35 and up.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 32
latest reply

"Does small packet International only go up to 500g Pierre? I wondered if it went to 1000g."

As stated in the Canada Post link provided above, Small packet international goes up to 2,000g (2 kilograms)

Light packet international only goes to 500g

Two different services It is important to understand the differences. 

Basically, as stated, Light Packet can only be used for envelopes or packages with a thickness not exceeding 20mm (2cm) - up to 500g, otherwise it must go Small Packet (rates vary depending on country of destination)

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

light packet is only good to 500 gms and is fixed in the weights Pierre posted

Small packet goes by weight and destination and is good to 2 kg if I remember correctly.

Prices for Small Packet vary by destination where light packet do not.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

There are no 3 simple rates for SMALL Packet. Are you referring to LIGHT packet?

Message 8 of 32
latest reply

The posts above are a wonderful illustration of the confusion Canada Post's byzantine - and unique among the world's postal systems - pricing structure creates.

The Light Packet category should not even exist. Light Packet as defined by CP in terms of size and weight should be included in the Other Letterpost Category (identical in size and weight) - except that the Light Packet is arbitrarily reserved by CP for goods only.

Weight limit for Small Packets to all destinations other than USA is 2 kg but to USA it's only 1 kg.

CP has no fewer than 11 destination zones (incl. USA) for Small Packets. The USPS has just 4. Most other postal administrations have only 2-3.

Tom

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

No, I mean small packet. I stopped selling International packages apart from letter mail and light packages when the postage rates went up last year, but other countries are still seeing my listings, and some want postage rates.

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

I use flat rate as it is simple tor read and simple to add. There is no such thing as "actual cost" anyway.
Photobucket
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

Can you explain what you mean by "no such thing as actual cost"
Message 12 of 32
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
Can you explain what you mean by "no such thing as actual cost"

eBay takes a cut of the price  we quote. That changes the actual cost. Actual cost does not include all the packing material. I quote everything in American funds. Currency fluctuations mean it is never even approximate.

Buyers believe we make a profit on shipping.

When I use Expeditited, I get a discount. So, I have actual cost with cost of packaging, add in the 8% eBay takes, figure in the 3.5% Paypal currency exchange fees, minus my CP discount, converting from US to Cdn.

In the US, sellers quote an actual cost to the customer and then print their postage with a substantial discount. I had a discussion with this seller, who defended their position as they had earned the discount and the buyer was paying an actual cost charged to them, regardless that the seller paid 30-40% less.

Hence, there is no such thing as "actual cost".

Photobucket
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

If you are looking for a rate for a specific country you can use the rate calculator

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e1s1

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

Thanks, yes, I do use that. It is just that I keep getting buyers from UK, Australia, Norway etc. asking "iF i purchase this amount of yarn, how much is shipping, how about if I add 2 more skeins, 4 more skeins etc?" I was just looking for a quick way to give shipping rates for small packets without going all through the measuring and weighing on CP site.

Message 15 of 32
latest reply

"eBay takes a cut of the price  we quote. That changes the actual cost. Actual cost does not include all the packing material. I quote everything in American funds. Currency fluctuations mean it is never even approximate.

Buyers believe we make a profit on shipping.

When I use Expeditited, I get a discount. So, I have actual cost with cost of packaging, add in the 8% eBay takes, figure in the 3.5% Paypal currency exchange fees, minus my CP discount, converting from US to Cdn.

In the US, sellers quote an actual cost to the customer and then print their postage with a substantial discount. I had a discussion with this seller, who defended their position as they had earned the discount and the buyer was paying an actual cost charged to them, regardless that the seller paid 30-40% less.

Hence, there is no such thing as "actual cost"."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As this is a Canadian discussion forum. The US example doesn't apply, here. As for actual shipping, I think that you just listed most everything you need to calculate "actual shipping" Any extras can be added in the S&H section.

Hence, it's very easy and possible to calculate "actual shipping.

Message 16 of 32
latest reply

Nope. That is my Canadian perspective. It is exactly the same except for the % discount. Customer never pays actual. We never collect actual. Actual is a myth.

Customers do not believe we pay what we charge.
Photobucket
Message 17 of 32
latest reply

I don't think so! You can believe what you want. It's not a myth. And what the buyer thinks, is irrelevant to the topic. It's simple mathematics. You can either add to what you are charging or refund any overage. It's really quite simple.

If ALL buyers thought that sellers were overcharging, then everyone would get 1 star in their DSRs. Or there wouldn't be any sales, unless it was free shipping.

Any just about everything that I ship has the price on the sticker. Pretty hard to hide the shipping costs. Most buyers are savy enough to see this!
Message 18 of 32
latest reply

I took a look at one of your listing (Lionel tracks).  It reads: 'Shipping is actual cost"

From Boisbriand QC to Belleville ON it shows a shipping cost of Cdn$ 17,48

Now, what does $17.48 represent?

Your actual cost?  Including or not including packing material?

Is this the fee charged by Canada Post at the counter?

Does that amount include the tax payable by shipper when purchasing postage?

Does that amount include the 9% or 10% fee payable to eBay on the shipping charge?

Is this the price you actually pay when purchasing the postage?

Do you buy the postage through PayPal?  Do you get a discount?

Or do you use postage stamps to frank your parcels?  How big a discount do you get when you purchase the stamps?  25%?  30%?  Is that discount accounted for in that $17.48? Is it "actual cost"?

There are so many variables, how can you say $17.48 is "actual cost"?

Message 19 of 32
latest reply

We never collect actual. Actual is a myth.

Those of us who use postage stamps are often buying those at a substantial discount from PO prices. But then we add labour cost as we try to make up the rate (Lessee- to make $17.58 I'll need 21of these P stamps currently valued at 85 cents which I bought at a 20% discount when the P stamps were valued at 60 cents, but it takes me 10 extra minutes to peel the backing off the @#$% diecuts at 18 cents a minute....).

Message 20 of 32
latest reply