Small packet air international barcode/"tracking" number

e_knny
Community Member

Every small packet air international label printed from paypal contains a "tracking" number. It is something like UR.......CA.

Canada Post doesn't call this a tracking number but sometimes the destination country tracks it.

However, this barcode/tracking number doesn't seem to be recorded online in my paypal transaction history

Does anybody know how to retrieve this barcode number????

thank you

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It's not a tracking number. If anything, it could be considered a proof of delivery number? That would show that you shipped it, but wouldn't show any confirmation of delivery.

Not sure about on Paypal, but if you go to a PO the number doesn't even get printed on the receipt.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Canadapost doesn't track it.

However, sometimes the destination country tracks it. I know this 100%. If you need proof I can provide a barcode number that can be tracked on the French post offices website, and it shows delivery confirmation.

So is there any way to retrieve this number from our PayPal label transaction?

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That came in last July. I have asked and get "I dunno". The people I ask would know, so, if they do not, CP was keeping it to themselves.

Fast forward to today. Now we need HS codes. These appear in the form of a bar code that will be scannable at CP. This forwards Customs info to what ever country the parcel is going to. Parcel gets there and is scanned again. Not postal tracking, but, Customs tracking if you will.

Will this be a tracking number? Doubt it as that would under cut there Tracked Packet and Expedited sales.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@e_knny wrote:

Every small packet air international label printed from paypal contains a "tracking" number. It is something like UR.......CA.

Canada Post doesn't call this a tracking number but sometimes the destination country tracks it.

However, this barcode/tracking number doesn't seem to be recorded online in my paypal transaction history

Does anybody know how to retrieve this barcode number????

I keep the bottom half of the Small Packet Air Paypal label and, if the number isn't printed on it, I record it from the upper half.  I haven't noticed these being picked up by European post offices, but Mr. E. may be right that it has something to do with the HS code being scanned by Customs. 

I do know that that number is not considered by Canada Post to be a true "tracking" number, and I've noticed that since this past summer it doesn't get automatically uploaded to the sold item on eBay.  I doubt it will pass the test for a "valid" tracking number for purposes of eBay's tracking validation either. 

However, besides (or instead of) writing it on your half of the Paypal label, you can manually enter it on the sold item details -- under the item title, click on "Add Tracking Number". 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

The uploading would have to be consistent if the SP number is to be accepted by Paypal. And PP does not care about proof of shipping , they want proof of delivery.

Which is reasonable, since that is what we sellers are promising our buyers.

If Paypal were to accept the HS codes as proof of delivery that would be a huge benefit. But I suspect they only would confirm that the parcel had crossed the border and not that it had been delivered.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I just want to reiterate that I was able to win a INR case by providing this barcode number.

This barcode number was tracked on www.chronopost.fr

It showed arrival in customs, arrival in delivery post office, and delivery confirmation to recipient

Of course, this barcode number probably won't be tracked in every country, but it is still a good idea to record it since there is a possibility it can provide delivery confirmation 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

E. Nice going. A bar code and a # means something. I knew that from the start. This will only work with "developed" countries.

I am in Ontario, so, it won't work here.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
E. Nice going. A bar code and a # means something. I knew that from the start. This will only work with "developed" countries.

I am in Ontario, so, it won't work here.

LOL. I was drinking water as I read this and had a choking fit and water up the nose from the unexpected laugh.

PS Must remember to not eat or drink while reading the forums. Dangerous to my health as well as a mess to clean up.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Thanks for the info, E!

As some of you guys know, I work part time as a Postal Clerk in a Shopper's Drug Mart. I asked our CP rep, and she told me that these "tracking numbers" are not able to be used for tracking. I guess if they advertised that SP has tracking, that would defeat the purpose of using Tracked Packet International? (minus the insurance)

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Could you help me? I didn't know I had to put that barcode number and just sent it.

And when I found out I have to add a tracking number I could not put any numbers because I already sent the product with the label which contains the barcode number. I tried to confirm my label again since I printed through ebay but the ebay said they don't have any record I printed label through them. My customers said they did not receive products and they opened the case and try to take money. 😞 How can I find my barcode number...anybody can help me??

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Did you send it with tracking or was it small packet? There is no tracking or DC with small packet or letter mail. There is with Tracked Packet, Expedited, Xpresspost.

How did you send it and what did you pay for postage?
Photobucket
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

You didn't print it through eBay-- you printed it through Paypal.

BTW- when I was using these labels, there were two parts. I would cut off the lower half, which also had the label number on it, scribble on the buyer's name and destination and file it with my printout of the paid invoice. But I am old and a paper records person.

Look under the buyer's name on PP. You may find the transaction number and the label number there.

Fingers crossed.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@seoji_ca2014 wrote:

Could you help me? I didn't know I had to put that barcode number and just sent it.

And when I found out I have to add a tracking number I could not put any numbers because I already sent the product with the label which contains the barcode number. I tried to confirm my label again since I printed through ebay but the ebay said they don't have any record I printed label through them. My customers said they did not receive products and they opened the case and try to take money. 😞 How can I find my barcode number...anybody can help me??

unfortunately, if you didnt take a picture of record the barcode number for a SMALL PACKET shipment, you will not be able to get this number again from paypal. 

but even if you have the barcode, there is only a small chance it would work as a tracking number. officially, SMALL PACKET shipments do not have tracking

Message 14 of 14
latest reply