Someone says they sent me a paypal amount by mistake....could this be a scam?

Hi,

I received an email from a person I've never had any dealings with here on ebay or outside of ebay to my knowledge) saying they accidently sent me money via paypal that was meant for someone else (they said when they copy and pasted the email address they wanted to send it too..it auto corrected to my email address...(which just seems really weird to me...especially that they  didn't double check).  I went and checked and there was a payment that came through for $3.50 in this gentlemens name about a week ago that I never noticed.  He would like me to refund the money back...which I have no problem doing....but I'm trying to figure out if there is anyway this is a scam?    I'm so freaked out by some of these scams I hear about that it makes me nervous....even thought it could have been an honest mistake.   Just seems odd it auto corrected to my address.   Do you think this guy is legit or should I be worried it's a scam and call paypal before I return the money?

Thanks

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Call PayPal to be on safe side.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@kiralicious wrote:
He would like me to refund the money back...which I have no problem doing....but I'm trying to figure out if there is anyway this is a scam?   

Why not wait until he files a claim for INR? Since you never actually sold anything to him, I don't think it would hurt your record. And it's not like the amount is rent money. If you refund him won't some of your info show? Like your email or address?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Look at your Paypal account.

If the money is there, you can decide what to do about it.

But I doubt it is there.

Your email address is also your Paypal name. 

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

Slumming?

Photobucket
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Vacation

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

Cold up here this time of year. Yer better off coming in the summer.
Photobucket
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Tryin to get rid of me so soon, without even so much as a hello?

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Is your email address and domain something that is was feasible for it to happen?  I have a gmail address that is just my name, i get *tons* of stuff meant for someone of the same name in the USA.  From relatives that I have exchanged emails with as to what is happening, their kids school to websites they sign up for.  it stops for awhile...then there is a new hotel reservation confirmation or something show up.

If they gave someone an email to send paypal to it could easily be sent to me.  If the person just sent money  to an email they can't file item not received.  I dont see how it could be any kind of scam

Message 9 of 9
latest reply