Sourcing Shipping Materials in Canada

Hello everybody,

I am having a hard time finding a good source for boxes and bubble wrap, mailers etc.  Can anyone here recommend a good wholesale company in Canada and better yet in B.C.?

Message 1 of 39
latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

@mr.elmwood wrote:
Uline is a retail outlet. I don't know know where you get the idea of "wholesale".

Shippers Supply will move on price. They have for me. They start higher but will move lower.

Uline ships by courier.

Yeah my bad, guess I should say discounted price.  Funny that if I type in "Wholesale Shipping Materials Canada" Uline is all over the search results. 

http://www.canadamailers.ca/ is wholesale but doesnt sell boxes 😕

Message 21 of 39
latest reply

For over twenty years I have used Chiswick - until they were purchased by Staples and changed their name to Staples Industrial:

http://www.staplesindustrial.com/

Chiswick was owned by NEBS (in both Canada and the USA) and located in Midland Ontario until the ownership was changed.about six years ago.

Message 22 of 39
latest reply

Hi Digis!

For my envelopes etc I use Uline because they are the only provider and/or cheapest for what I want (white paper covered poly mailers and white oversized envelopes).

For my boxes, I use a local packaging company. I had them create a specific sized box years ago that qualified at that time for small packet, sort of a short pizza box. CP relaxed the sizing rules since then but the box is still useful. I also get their 5 and 10 pound "meat boxes" that they make for meat producers or whoever (they're white with no logos etc). I found that company by just calling a few packaging companies in the nearest city (London) and found them that way.

During the time I was trying to find the boxes, I also found an envelope producer who I used for a few years but their product line ceased being able to support what I needed as in no poly mailers. That's when I went to Uline for the envelopes.

Might be worth calling around and see what you get....
Message 23 of 39
latest reply

I just remembered another shipping source that was used at a company I did some work for 5-10 years ago. I was not responsible for buying the shipping supplies but did help shipping items occasionally and received their box shipments from the Great Little Box Company based in Richmond BC.

Now I think they were getting custom boxes made and that is why they used GLBC. Also if I recall correctly, they had to buy 500 to get a large quantity discount (basically equal to paying for 350 or 400 boxes and getting the balance "free"). I remember it was a pain to find space for storing all of the boxes when they came in because their shipping area was the size of a 1/2 to 3/4 of a house basement. They were shipping their own product which was a service. Shipping and receiving 10-20-30 items daily. Boxes were 20x20x8 inches and another smaller size. And where to put the 5 large bags of packing peanuts, lol, they would order with the boxes. Hung them off hooks in the ceiling, lol, above the boxes. I was very creative. The order would arrive in the later part of the afternoon and I would have to stay past 5 pm making space for them because no one would tell the shipping the order was coming in!.

http://glbc.com/

I leave it up to you to check their pricing on the items you buy. Let us know if they have good prices for others for future reference.

As stated before in my earlier post, I do not buy shipping supplies and recycle boxes and packaging materials.

Message 24 of 39
latest reply

To see the stock boxes GLBC has, you have to open the Product Catalog for the sizes they have. I did not see any pricing.

Message 25 of 39
latest reply

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out with this. Sincerely appreciated. 

Thank you Pierre - I think this is a winner 🙂  Prices are great, selection is even better.

Message 26 of 39
latest reply

Lovely, staplesindustrial.com is another one who wont ship to Canada.  You can get all the way to checkout and then when its time to enter address, its all USA.. then they boot you to the regular Staples.ca website, which is of course about 30% higher prices and is no different than walking in the door and buying them at your local staples retail store.

So far not much luck beating the $1/box price at walmart.

Message 27 of 39
latest reply

Ooooops!  Sorry, my earlier post included the USA address.

Staples Industrial is located in Canada and ships to Canada:

http://www.staples.ca/sbdca/en_CA/cre/programs/industrial/index.html

Message 28 of 39
latest reply

For bigger boxes, Kijiji for folks clearing out boxes after a move.   Have to move PDQ though for the cheap or free deals.   Good source for wardrobe boxes, that are good to give you 24" width and cut to size. 

Message 29 of 39
latest reply

Well - I just go behind my local Rexall Drug Store where they have a "x10" open shed. Each day before lunch they toss out great boxes of all sizes and shapes. I collect them and put them in my cart in the garage and use when needed. I usually turn them inside out - that way they look new and US customs does not bother with them. I turned a box of Depends aroung yesterday.

The Wholesale food stores are also a good source of boxes. I am always keeping my eyes peeled for the right size boxes.

About twice a year I pick up styrofoam peanuts in Red Deer at a packaging supply place - they sell me a bag of peanut three six feet high that you can't get close to getting your arms arougd for $23.00.

Occasionally I will buy a sheet of 1" 8' x4' sytrofoam to strengthen the boxes.

I figure it costs me less than $2.00 per radio I send out.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 30 of 39
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Staples online Canada site is much cheaper than you can get at Staples Stores in person which I found out after comparing the prices.  Even their poster tubes are much cheaper than Uline!  It pays to compare and find the right place to order like Staples online Canada.   But what is ironic about Staples is that I can order online and have them delivered to my local Staples store for me to pick them up!

I can't understand why the local Staples store cannot offer us the cheaper prices like their orders online! 

Message 31 of 39
latest reply

Hello, The cheapest boxes I've seen are here on ebay for $0.80CAD each including shipping from Ontario, this is for small size 5"x4"x4" new kraft corrugated shipping boxes, the price goes up a bit as they get bigger. I also reuse boxes and save boxes from things, if in good and strong condition. Christmas is a good time to save boxes from gifts. I have made boxes reusing cardboard from broken boxes, or large boxes. I get my bubble envelopes from the dollar store. I buy the 2 pack of large envelopes for $1 plus tax, and cut them in half or quarters to make 4 or 8 envelopes, I ship small items, so I'm able to do this.

Message 32 of 39
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Staples online Canada site is much cheaper than you can get at Staples Stores in person which I found out after comparing the prices.  Even their poster tubes are much cheaper than Uline!  

Staples tubes are a little bit more expensive. Yes, they also have some low-quality white tubes, but if you compare the brown kraft tubes, the price is higher (about 10 dollars per box of 50 tubes). 

Message 33 of 39
latest reply

Most of my items are shipped by Lettermail with Poly Bubble Mailers.

I buy all of my bubble mailers from ebay user: tuffmailers

He is based in the USA. I have been dealing with him for a little over a year now. I usually receive my orders in a little over a week. The prices are excellent. I have purchased 5000 mailers from him so far. The 2 sizes that I usually purchase are the #000 and the #0

1000 poly bubble mailers size #000 is around $129 cdn including the shipping and import charges from tuffmailers

1000 poly bubble mailers size #000 from uline.ca is $260.61 cdn including shipping

I'd be paying double the price from uline.ca.

Message 36 of 39
latest reply

... for Christmas order everything possible online and get a bonus shipping box.   Smiley Wink

Message 37 of 39
latest reply

Here is an Ebay Seller that I buy all of my mailers from:

http://stores.ebay.ca/TUFFmailers/Poly-Bubble-Mailers-/_i.html?_fsub=3743908017

He is based in the USA. I have been dealing with him for a little over a year now. I usually receive my orders in a little over a week. The prices are excellent. I have purchased 5000 mailers from him so far. The 2 sizes that I usually purchase are the #000 and the #0

1000 poly bubble mailers size #000 is around $129 cdn including the shipping and import charges from the Ebay Seller in the above link

1000 poly bubble mailers size #000 from uline.ca is $260.61 cdn including shipping

Message 34 of 39
latest reply

Here is an Ebay Seller that I buy all of my mailers from:

http://stores.ebay.ca/TUFFmailers/Poly-Bubble-Mailers-/_i.html?_fsub=3743908017

1000 poly bubble mailers size #000 is around $129 cdn including the shipping and import charges from the Ebay Seller in the above link

Message 35 of 39
latest reply

won-jayso
Community Member

Please contact canadamailers.ca, this is the right place can provide boxes, bubble wrap and mailers.

Message 38 of 39
latest reply

ZOMBIE thread from 2014

Message 39 of 39
latest reply