Sports Collectibles Case Illustrates Dangers of Autograph Sales

I would be interested to hear from sellers who deal in autographed items on ebay Canada to see if they are affected by cases like these.

Excerpt: "An ongoing sports memorabilia criminal case in Ohio alleges Cliff Panezich and others sold fake autographs as part of a multimillion dollar scheme. TV station WKBN reported Panezich rejected a plea deal and now faces a possible prison sentence of at least 11 years if convicted."

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m09/i29/s02

http://wkbn.com/2016/09/26/suspected-organizer-of-fake-sports-memorabilia-ring-declines-deal/

http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/man-charged-massive-fake-autograph-scheme-rejects-plea-deal/

Then there is this:

http://wkbn.com/2016/09/06/suspect-proclaims-innocence-in-sports-memorabilia-fraud-ring/ and this http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-fake-sports-memorabilia-charges-met-20160912-st...

And this:

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/08/23/fraud-allegations-around-mitch-marner-shirt-raise-que...

How does this kind of negative publicity about less-than-honest sellers affect your day-to-day operations when you are in the same area of sales? I imagine it must be very frustrating.

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

More about fake autographs: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-celebrity-autographs-20160115-htmlstory.html

Do we have specific laws on this in Canada? Is it viewed as a kind of identity theft-fraud? Or another kind of fraud? 

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The latter link about Mark Hamill (of Star Wars fame) joining the counterfeit fight was also very interesting. 

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

I sell original autographs that I obtained from iron-clad sources. You really have to know people who specialize in this field.

I have a friend that's a consultant for PSA/DNA and he says that 80-90% of autographs on eBay are not good. 

The things to look for are autographs that are sold too cheap, personal COA's are garbage and are not worth the paper there printed on.

Photographic proof is always good, some sellers have actual proof of the signing on the identical photograph their selling.

It's always good to compare one signature to another. Some celebrities are quite consistent with their signatures while others are not.

The higher the demand, the more the signature deteriorates... you can look at several examples of a celebrity signature and they all could be signed differently but are still original.

Here's an example of a proper way of purchasing an authentic signature..... 

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/222247082928?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

More about fake autographs: http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-sac-celebrity-autographs-20160115-htmlstory.html

Do we have specific laws on this in Canada? Is it viewed as a kind of identity theft-fraud? Or another kind of fraud? 

My 'guess' is that it would be covered under some type of  fraud law but not identity theft.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Very interesting. So they'd stop you if you grabbed 30 extra copies to sign yourself at home?

I liked the Mark Hamill interview and thought it fascinating he's willing (and able) to authenticate for fans his autographs, past and present. That's commitment. And also that he took measures over the years to thwart counterfeiters, and devalue his already-signed autographed items by vowing to sign anything that crossed his path.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

About 10 years ago there was a major seller of hockey collectibles on eBay..... including autographed items.

Much of what they sold... specifically signatures ....were proved to be fraudulent.

They were gone very quickly...

It was fraudulent Certificates of Authenticity that really got them into trouble

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

There are certain things that should only be bought in person... face-to-face with the seller.... and with a closeup view of what is being sold.

Even at a local auction one has to know what to look for..

Specifically how to determine if an autograph is "in the photograph"  or on the surface of the photograph..

The solution....  Look for a reflection on the signature...

If the reflection on the signature is the same as on the rest of the photograph, than the signature is within the photograph..

A signature on top of a photograph will not reflect light when viewed at an angle..... usually...

But then  still be very careful.... Learn from experience....

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If I understand the question then the answer is no. No actor would sign 30 items you brought from home. Depending who you are, you probably have a very limited opportunity to have one or two items signed.  

Angelina Jolie has a consistent signature, but there is a earlier version of her signature also.

The signature quality depends on where it was obtained and how much time the person has to sign it. If you get access to a V.I.P line at a movie premiere then you'll have a nice example of the actor's signature. Waiting for someone outside a restaurant may result in a rushed "squiggle". 

If you click on the Jennifer Lopez link that's seen in the attachment then you will find one of the "very best" sellers of modern day Hollywood signatures.

Mark Hamill is a true fan-boy. He attends numerous signing conventions and has a real appreciation for his fans. 

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Specifically how to determine if an autograph is "in the photograph"  or on the surface of the photograph..

An auto reprint isn't even an issue and are declared as such. It's so blatantly obvious to everyone that there not original that no one would even try to would pass it off as authentic.

It's the real signed autographs that are the problem. Photographic proof is the best way to document an authentic autograph or knowing people in this industry is also very helpful, especially those who have obtained the signature in person. 

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Playing the devil's advocate now. I can see how photographic evidence can be used to support an assertion the item was signed by a celebrity but who's to say the photo of the fan gaining that autograph is really me? I could find a photo of fans at an event having things signed and say, "Look, here I am getting my shirt signed by Gene Simmons!" but that's a picture of someone else and I signed the shirt for sale myself with a sharpie while drinking beer and eating nachos at the coffeetable. How does that photo prove its me, or that the autograph in question is legitimate? The online shopper doesn't know what I look like, or whether I am who I say I am. I can see how it adds value to the narrative, but I don't see how it proves legitimacy. 

Or am I looking too closely at this? Is there an expectation of honor and honesty in this area? Artwork goes through a lengthy and sometimes controversial process of authentication. But these certificates of authenticity for signed, autographed goods seems flawed if those are so easily faked. Is the reputation of the company doing it paramount?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Each time someone signs something... the signature will be different.

There will be similarities  that a signature will have.  and then nothing is exactly the same each time

Do it yourself... Sign your name 30 times... and then compare...  similarities  and then differences.

It is very difficult to determine the authenticity of a signature  unless  provenance is absolutely perfect.... and many times there will always be a question with respect authenticity... versus provenance.

Take note.........

Many actors had their secretaries sign for them.

There was a time when Margaret Atwood, author... was in Toronto... and signed books in New York through a mechanical conversion of her signature  being placed on paper in Toronto..

A signature... no matter where it is found  must always be questioned...

Overlap two signatures....one on top of another.... in front of a bright light... and if they are a perfect match... they both are fake...No two signatures  are perfectly the same... there will always be a difference.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Is a robotic signature really an 'authorized' autograph?! Was there not a hue and cry within the Books community as a result of this? 

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Who did the signing....

Was it Margaret Atwood?.....  or ... Was it produced mechanically without any direction from the author?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Does the signature match the signature in the photograph is what it comes down too. No two signatures are the same.

Try and reproduce a signature exactly as it's shown in the photograph with the exact placement, spacing, characteristics and flow.

Fogeries are drawn and are not signed with a convincing flow.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

Several books with signatures of important people have been sold by me.

My points of confirmation of the signature  was the internet... and many times something listed on eBay...  and noted in the listing

Always for major similarities  ....

The first ever  was Liberace

Others....

John Diefenbaker

Jean Chretien

Vladislav Tretiak

Matt Dunigan

Ken Ploen

Randy Bachman

Anne Murray.... all books about her dated 2009 and signed by her... must have been in Winnipeg in that year

Ken Danby

Clarence Tillenius

and perhaps a few others.....

Many times  I have found an author's signature in a book...  but they have to be extra special to be noted in the description of the book.

My most unique signature was Eugene O'Neil... but researched for someone else... Book authored by him sold at a local auction....

Message 16 of 16
latest reply