Strange message from PAYPAL

My friend in Canada was buying something from a reputable seller in Russia and PAYPAL was shown as one of their options to pay.

She pressed it to pay and the message appeared: PAYPAL DOES NOT ACCEPT PAYMENTS FOR SHIPMENTS TO RUSSIA

Strange because she was not selling - she was purchasing from Russia's seller.

Finally, she managed to make the payment with PAYPAL going through direct entrance to PAYPAL (not thru links)

My friend informed me about it immediately in view of my eBay store.

Do you think this message is a sign of something to come soon?

Why Paypal's system had it?

I do not recollect such a restriction before...

Thank you for your opinion.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

It is possible that your friend misunderstood the error message that she was shown.

If not, my next question would be is there anything about this on the Paypal Board or Paypal Community? 

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your guess...

She says that she was very shocked by the text of the message and therefore re-read it numerous times and pressed "pay" button few times as well.

Since the message is quite short the likelihood of incorrect interpretation is quite remote but, of course, we all can make error.

I have attended Paypal's discussion site and tried to search there. Nothing appeared...

I will try to call Paypal on Monday and hopefully will talk to someone about this general issue

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

In spite of various embargos on Russia by the USA, Paypal does appear to be available to Russian buyers and sellers.

https://www.paypal.com/ru/webapps/mpp/home

I don't read Cyrillic nor any Russian at all, but you may have a better understanding.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for your opinion, Femme

The link you sent reads in Russian how easy it is to subscribe to and conveniently use PAYPAL.

WELCOME TO PAYPAL!

I hope the message that my friend read inserted by Russian "hackers" (they had some time free from political tasks and could spend some time joking...) Smiley Wink

I hope it is a case!

And today I had a sale to buyer from RF and he instantly paid through PAYPAL.

I remain optimistic!

Message 5 of 5
latest reply