THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

My seller has his contact information "listed as private" - ebay Customer Service says that my seller is blocking their information FROM THE SITE.

That is why I cannot obtain their contact information through Advance Search from the site (because they have it set to block that information from being obtained through the site). This forces their buyer (me) to have to call ebay to get it at all. Why would a seller do that though?

PayPal says my seller only registered "personal" information with them (no business info) and thus PayPal cannot provide me with the seller phone number or seller mailing address. Why do that either??

I received confirmation of my seller's recent activity; so apparently, he's not dead after all. He's hiding?? Why do that??

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

You are asking the wrong question and wasting your time.

The first step in resolving a problem is to contact the other person.

Once.

And if you get no prompt answer, go to the Dispute.

If he isn't interested in communicating, you can comment on that when you leave Detailed Seller Ratings for Communication. The normal Rating is Fiver. The lowest Rating is ONE.

There is no point in trying to get the seller to respond. He doesn't want to.

If the item has not been delivered, open the Item Not Received dispute. If the seller cannot prove that the item has been delivered, he must refund you.

If he does not do this, Paypal will refund you and will go after him for their money.

In addition, he will have a defect/violation/black mark on his seller account which may lead to higher fees, lower placement in Search, and/or restriction on the number and value of items he can list and sell.

NEVER allow a seller to promise you a 'replacement'. There is no reason to believe that it will ever arrive or even be sent. Complete the refund process, then if you still want the item and trust the seller, order again and start a new transaction.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

The phone number is defunct for taking messages "this seller cannot receive messages at this time."

Report the seller (there is a button, it's automatic). The seller is required to have up to date contact information.

All you will get out of the Report is a polite email from eBay, since they like to have the site policed by members, but are not too happy about vigilantes.

But we do see sellers and buyers whose accounts are closed abruptly by eBay fairly often. Sometimes when a naive member asks where the seller went that they sent money to.

But first file the INR and get your money back.

We're not thieves... well, we are thieves, but the point is we're not taking what's his. We'll stay out of his way as best we can from here on in. You'll explain that's best for everyone, okay? -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

What's this? The email from ebay live customer service only gives the seller email (already got that from PayPal detail) and a phone number. Disconnected.

No physical address for regular post by mail correspondence? Geesh.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Please clarify WHY you are trying to get all the seller's personal information?

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

I see you also use private feedback??

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Item is not received, no shipping information, no replies to emails sent, and no contact information for the seller is available through the site.

The recorded message answering at the seller phone number is not the name registered to the seller ID and appears to belong possibly to a young male relative who is ghosting on a relative's name and seller ID.

The phone number is defunct for taking messages "this seller cannot receive messages at this time."

Why would my private feedback as a buyer (what I buy on ebay) interest anyone asking? Buyers only get positive feedback, it's private because some nosey people amuse themselves ridiculing others instead of offering constructive, problem-solving advice.

So far I gather what I buy is of more concern than a minor transacting as a seller on ebay under a stolen identity?

Hm.
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

I think the facts as they emerge are answering the question I posted about Why would a seller do that.

Simple. They are not who they say they are. And do not want the fact discovered.

Mystery solved.
Message 6 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

you are going to a lot of unnecessary work. If you have not filed an INR case, do so. When the time is up, escalate and get a refund. It makes no difference if the seller has private listings or not. What matters is if you don't get your stuff, get a refund.

as far as your private feedback goes, I only mentioned it as you are upset the seller has private listings. Is there really a difference. A lot of sellers do not trust buyers with private feedback as they can not learn anything about the seller. Feedback can be used for many things, not just snooping, and I fully realize all buyer feedback is positive but not necessarily the feedback left for sellers which a lot of sellers look at.

Personally I could care less about private listings or private feedback. If you want help, post all the facts as to why you are posting. A lot of people investigate if not all facts are given.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Just so you know, a lot of sellers in the adult category will use it as do a lot of sellers selling high priced items. It protects the seller in the following scenario: Seller sells expensive merchandise, crook buys and has ability to get the sellers address, seller gets robbed. Extreme case, but it does happen. It also keeps buyers ID's confidential from anyone else interested in bidding.

It is also used by shill bidders but that is another story. There are many reasons why sellers keep their listings private, if it bothers you, don't buy from them. There are a lot of reasons why buyers keep their feedback private and that is also their choice.

I am not picking on you, sellers, or buyers, just using other points of view.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Dutchman48, you isunderstand. It's not that the seller has PRIVATE LISTINGS, the seller has his seller CONTACT INFORMATION LISTED WITH THE SITE AS "PRIVATE." The buyer cannot contact the seller. Anywhere.

See now?

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Dutchman48, you misunderstand. It's not that the seller has PRIVATE LISTINGS, the seller has his seller CONTACT INFORMATION LISTED WITH THE SITE AS "PRIVATE." The buyer cannot contact the seller. Anywhere.

See now?

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

^^^Guess I said it twice, just to be clear 🙂
Message 11 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

As I said, there are many reasons why they want things private. The choice is yours if you want to buy from them (I would not). If you do and you have issues, be prepared for these type of problems.

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Hi everyone,

Please remember to keep the discussion friendly. Hostile comments/interpersonal disputes may result in warnings and/or the thread being locked.

Thank you for helping us keep the boards welcoming for everyone!

LizzieR-CA

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Eventually Ebay will keep all information private due to privacy laws and issues and if there is a problem, either party will have to deal with Ebay direct.

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Which hostile comments?

Message 15 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

I use private listings, they can be *a good thing*, like you say.

But blocking any messages from a paying customer when there's a problem with non-delivery? No business phone number?

Look here, I'm no weirdie stalker type. Just a paying customer who would like to give y seller a chance to send or re-send my widget. I don't need but some kind of response, say the tracking number I paid for?

Sigh. Why does it so often seem to degenerate into eye poking on these boards?

Whatever happened to simple helpfulness?

Thanks for the advice on making the request. Done.

Is it then the general consensus here that it's ok for sellers to block their business contact information from the ebay site itself?

I'm grateful for any insight there. Because I can't see how not having that information available to trading partners is of benefit. Pardon the bad grammar.

Message 16 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Another curiosity: a buyer can't know sellers have indeed set their contact information to Block until after entering into binding contracts with them; so how would a buyer know for which sellers they "should be prepared for these types of problems" with?

How can the "buyer beware" when there is contact with the seller possible before the sale... then suddenly all goes dark after the sale?

Message 17 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

dutchman48 wrote: As far as your private feedback goes, I only mentioned it as you are upset the seller has private listings.

I never said that. I was upset the seller had their contact informmation listed as "private", available only with much effort and waiting on the phone with ebay Customer Servce.

I am unhappy that any seller can pre-block any buyer's ability to contact their seller after payment. That just seems like strange behaviour, if the seller is on the up and up.

Message 18 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

You are asking the wrong question and wasting your time.

The first step in resolving a problem is to contact the other person.

Once.

And if you get no prompt answer, go to the Dispute.

If he isn't interested in communicating, you can comment on that when you leave Detailed Seller Ratings for Communication. The normal Rating is Fiver. The lowest Rating is ONE.

There is no point in trying to get the seller to respond. He doesn't want to.

If the item has not been delivered, open the Item Not Received dispute. If the seller cannot prove that the item has been delivered, he must refund you.

If he does not do this, Paypal will refund you and will go after him for their money.

In addition, he will have a defect/violation/black mark on his seller account which may lead to higher fees, lower placement in Search, and/or restriction on the number and value of items he can list and sell.

NEVER allow a seller to promise you a 'replacement'. There is no reason to believe that it will ever arrive or even be sent. Complete the refund process, then if you still want the item and trust the seller, order again and start a new transaction.

Message 19 of 24
latest reply

THAT'S A NEW ONE ON ME!

Report the seller (there is a button, it's automatic). The seller is required to have up to date contact information.

All you will get out of the Report is a polite email from eBay, since they like to have the site policed by members, but are not too happy about vigilantes.

But we do see sellers and buyers whose accounts are closed abruptly by eBay fairly often. Sometimes when a naive member asks where the seller went that they sent money to.

But first file the INR and get your money back.

We're not thieves... well, we are thieves, but the point is we're not taking what's his. We'll stay out of his way as best we can from here on in. You'll explain that's best for everyone, okay? -- Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Message 20 of 24
latest reply