That's it! No more selling for me on eBay

Well, I've just sold my last item on eBay....

Vintage Dinky Toy airplane :  Sold for $5.34 CDN to International buyer

Shipping:   $9.40 CDN

Final Value Fees (eBay):  $3.42 CDN

PayPal fees:  .89 CDN

.....which means that I made a grand total of one dollar and three cents.   Definitely NOT worth the time and effort. 

WHY eBay finds it necessary to claw back fees from the shipping is beyond me.  Yes, I've read in other posts that it's because some sellers will charge "0.99 for an item", and then charge "60.00 for shpping".   Fine....then penalize THOSE sellers, and not the ones who are charging for the ACTUAL shipping cost.  This is the final straw for me.....Webstore is looking better all the time! 

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Never List an item on auction for less than you are willing to take for it.
Message 2 of 54
latest reply

Which is more expensive:

A $5 item with $10 shipping?

A $10 item with $5 shipping?

A $15 item with Free Shipping?

Remember that the FVF on product is often lower than the FVF on shipping.

I think your basic problem with this sale was pricing your item too low. If you got the item completely free, you made $1.03. At the ON minimum wage of 17 cents a minute, that is just over 6 minutes work. If you spent more than 6 minutes picturing, describing, listing and packaging the item, you are actually in the hole on this sale.

In my opinion (I have lots of opinions, I have been considering listing them as wholesale lots), there is no point in offering anything on eBay for less than $9.99. If an item won't sell for that, don't try to sell it here.

Some items are either too cheap or too bulky for profitable mail order selling. Single Dinky toys may be one of those items.

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

I'm confused.  How did you get ebay final value fees of $3.42 on a $14.74 sale.  Am I missing something?

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

My basic FVF would be $1.48.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 54
latest reply

My approach to this airplane....

I would never have listed it on eBay... too much damage.....  not worth the time and effort.

I once sold a Dinky tractor.....nothing missing... paint problems only.... Started the auction at $20-$25 

and sold it for $35.

Start with a quality product....  and it will sell at a good price.....

Also today's eBay is so much different  than just a few, let alone 10 years ago

I have seen people try to sell broken pottery... when the same item was available in perfect condition ... Why try to sell it... damaged?????

I have sold diecast... collectable model vehicles on eBay....  and more ... Always listed the best..

Last spring   I cleared out a lot of old inventory through a local auction... Much of this inventory has sat for 5 years  and more.... and it was good  to better than good quality... just not selling this on eBay any longer...

When the dust settled I had close to $3000 in sales...  and even better after the commission was paid.....

When selling on eBay you have to know what to do ...... But more importantly ... 

A seller has to know what NOT to do

A Seller on eBay starts with a quality product... describe it to the absolute... and then price it right.... Price it right is critical

----------------------------------

An example of making it happen..

Mr Potato Head  ..  the toy... was selling by the box .... pieces, pieces and more pieces.

I found all of the parts to a car....  put together a Mr Potato Head..

Did a split screen photo..

One half.. he was in his car...  The other he was standing beside the car... a proud owner.

Auction started at $14.99... progressed to $30 ... top bidder wanted me to end the auction... but I stated  the auction had to go to the 7 day limit....Final price was $42  and that same person bought it....

Many tried to do the same....  but when they were selling there were many listed the same price...  Their final rice was close to $20

Knowing what not to do  ... selling Mr Potato Head as parts only

Apply this same principle to everything one sells on eBay

-------------------------------------------------------

Dinky toys sell well at a local auction... and I suspect much of these toys end up on eBay... They were quality items....  and Dinky toys in  top quality  sell well on eBay.

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

And...  That $35 tractor...  in perfect...  absolutely perfect condition ... $75  and more... maybe even $100  only a few years ago.....

depending on who is bidding  and who really wants it....

Message 7 of 54
latest reply

Oye. A broken "toy", parts missing, no box, no nothing? That is not the fault of eBay, the buyer, shipping cost, or anything. I have discarded better than that, because, far better than that is always for sale.

Cumos, I was "in" on an auction for some collectible cars, with boxes, last fall. Prices crept up to close to retail. Then, THEN the buyers were intending on re-selling?

Collectibles, at local auctions, go high. Too many people who have been watching TV.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 54
latest reply

Collectibles, at local auctions, go high

Today ... YES.

But things were different   if only 5 years ago and more....

Today's buyers at a local auction  can go "stupid'.... and that is when I smile......Consignors are very happy....

------------------------------------------------

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

That is the McSherry auction in Stonewall.

Oddly, watching antiques Roadshow Then and Now, collectibles are doing very poorly, especially after inflation. After inflation, many are down.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 54
latest reply

The auction service in Stonewall has expanded dramatically over the last 5 years.

Many who bid.... are very new to this new phase of selling...

They will sell just about anything there... and do

I have watched bidding go up and up and up....Prices "EXPLODE"

Where else can one have an estate sale....  two wings/two rings/two auctions... and everything sold.

and with over 550 bid numbers in operation.....  The quality of the sale was phenomenal... and the prices went sky-high...

Many showed up... and many who came late just kept on driving by....

--------------------------------------------------

Winnipeg has lost many an auction group.....  most likely an effect of eBay... and the massive number of thrift stores that feed into eBay... Kiji... and elsewhere...  and those other people that buy to use it

eBay has changed the world of second hand... and many more things.

One man's junque is another man's treasure

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

Absolutely. Then it becomes a matter of hitting your spot. That is why I need to get known around Dauphin. 90% of the time I will come up dry. Gotta be ready for that 10%.

Is was either you are Khaska(sp) that said the dealers work those auctions. Well, then they can have the collectibles, I will stay in my genre.

There is a lot of stuff that is just not worth buying. It isn't worth the effort of putting in the truck. Our OP found that out.

Unless I want to open a store front, which I do not, I am staying away from the antique collectible world. I still want to sell what happens with the oil lamps.
Photobucket
Message 12 of 54
latest reply

If you have been to Stonewall some time over the past 5 years.....you might have seen me... but not that Khashka... or whatever way it is spelled

I did work many sales over the year of the postal strike... and have worked many a firearms sales for several years ... but then my right knee ... and my legs in general were  causing trouble...seizing up over time...

Today  I still work the Storage Wars auctions in Winnipeg..... one coming up next week.

-------------------------------------------------------

I have been going to auctions  for close to 35 years.....  throughout southern Manitoba......  as far west as Brandon and Souris... Killarney  and more.......  filled up a house with furniture... artwork, collectable... and three children... who today are in their 20's....

Now I am in an apartment full of books and me.... .  Sometimes  I find books at an auction sale......   but I wait for the right time to pounce on a good buy...

But then I do see other things..... artwork... furniture... farm stuff... tool  and....??????everything else possible.

Maybe I should write a summary of those 35 years... auctions,,, garage sales, thrift store... church sales... charity sales of books...and lots, lots more.

The how to... the why not... and then the successes...  and why they were successes. 

I do have a bad memory..... I remember too much

Also  I do have a farm background.... So a rural auction service works for me...agriculture... biology... science... environment...

and that is just a start...... Only recently expanded to selling books on birds... wildlife... and then hunting... decoys,,, fishing lures...

Whatever I sell is based on what I know..... something that many sellers do not understand...

but then  we do get the following from someone with lots of experience.

Sell what you know... and know what you sell

and I have sold Dinky toys... and this one  just is not worth the effort  compared to the many other items I was selling.

and auctions  are not the same today  as before 2005

One has to know what not to do....

Message 13 of 54
latest reply

auctions  are not the same today  as before 2005

on eBay

or

with the local auctions as well

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

Hum? Our OP seems to have based their conclusion on 4 FB in the last three years. I don't think that is enough of a sample pool.

"One has to know what not to do". So true. I spend a lot of my time saying: "I ain't doing that". I have a buddy that sells car parts as well. He doesn't sell my stuff and I don't sell his.

It is hysterical how we turn our noses up at each others inventory. He know what he knows and I know what I know. There is zero overlap.

He picked up a "lot" that did not interest me. He paid $70 hoping to realize $500. In there was a headlight he did not know was there. He sold the headlight for $275 and still has all the stuff worth $500 left.

I picked up a couple pieces of restaurant equipment that did not interest him. I paid $60 and made $375.

Suppose he or I had given up as quickly as our OP is?
Photobucket
Message 15 of 54
latest reply

Many people show up at an auction, and estate sale,  and every other possible sale...

Each person has their own thing to look for...

and in many instances there is little overlap.

and sometimes  you make that little bit of an adjustment.

At a recent book sale... everyone was at the Manitoba history table.... I grabbed two book and hit the art and military table...  and I cleaned up   before the competition showed up.....

and in one situation  a former buyer of mine  had put aside two books... and he gave them to me.

Then came the day two women from a military group in Calgary were there with a shopping cart.... They were putting together a military library.  

Talking with someone I knew....  Right beside the military books.... found out what they were doing  and  In 30 seconds I quickly found 10 books for them.... all Canadian Military history.

I have been at this long enough to stop and listen... look and the books  call out to me..."Come and get me"

Many times  I find the unusual

The fact there is no overlap between two sellers... works well for both sellers....  that is until  they reach for the same book. (or any item 

and even then  I take a good look... with the understanding that I will find it soon... and soon could be a year or two...

My memory does not fail me... but my sticky fingers  sometimes pick up the wrong book....  must be my poor eyesight... must need new glasses  that filter out those problem books...

Making mistakes with items purchased is a part of the selling process... and then sometimes  I have sent a box of books  to a charity sale....  and must remember not to buy that book... which I have done... the money did go to charity....a second time.

Message 16 of 54
latest reply

Success can be quick  or slow.

But I do remember a sale... out of town....Paid about $65 for a pile of books.

Got home listed... and sold the first for $75  and the second for $195  (went to the Netherlands) 

If one does not keep looking... one will not find it....

hiding partially underneath a box... bought for $1.00  ... Sold for $750 US when the exchange rate was last at $1.25 CDN = $1.00 US

After fees... a $850 profit.................

In looking for inventory... know what to buy.... know what not to buy... argue with yourself if necessary... and then

Something critical....  Take a dive... take it and see if it is a good... and sometimes  a hot buy

Message 17 of 54
latest reply

OP's problem is assuming everyone will buy a Dinky toy.... no matter what the condition

unfortunately... this one airplane was not a good buy.

OP  has to go back.. start new....  find that perfect item ... and list that perfect item.....super photos... super description  and ... most important ... do not start the auction at 99 cents......

In today's eBay one should start an auction at a price one would be willing to sell after one bid...

and if there is more than one bid...  all the better. 

Message 18 of 54
latest reply

Regardless if your item was in bad shape or it was not worth selling on Ebay, there are some factors. I notice that you sell through auction. If you are concerned that your items are selling for less than you are getting, I would do one of two things

Start you auction at the lowest you would be willing to sell

List as a BUY IT NOW. You will be at least guaranteed that if your item sells you will receive what you want.

Obviously the down side is no one will buy your item. This would then contribute to what the earlier posts have stated. Many buyers are looking for a deal and I question the amount of buyers there are. You may have done the right thing by calling it a day.

Message 19 of 54
latest reply

You all misunderstood.

I was fine selling the dinky toy for $5.00US.  I started the auction at the least amount that I would accept.

I am NOT OK with paying 3.42 CDN on  an item that gives me $5.34CDN! 

If the buyer wanted the item, damaged or not (perhaps he only wanted the wheels for a perfect specimen....who cares?) and is OK with paying the shipping, fine.  But why do I, as the seller, have to pay final value fees on what he pays for shipping?

I've sold more than 4 items in the past little while, but buyers are NOT leaving feedback.  I sold vintage brooches to a buyer who had mega transactions, and couldn't get her to leave feedback.  At the same time, sold a vintage cookie press to a new ebayer....yup...they left feedback.

At the time this airplane was listed, I had about 20 items listed.  the most expensive one is a 1912 First Edition book that came from my mom's estate.  I've had it listed for months....started at $500. and eventually listed it down to $200. and refuse to go lower. The closest interest I've had is a few "watchers".  IF I was able to sell the book for $200. then I will gladly pay the FVF on the 200, and shipping will be nominal compared to the cost of the book, so it would not be all that noticeable.  But $3.42 on a 5.34 item?  gimme a break!  Oh...and BTW, someone asked how I "came up" with that 3.42 amount.  THAT is what is being charged on my credit card, and I have only sold the one item.  I can understand .89 cents through PayPal, but $3.42?

And I absolutely don't see what is wrong with my descriptions and photos.  I work hard to make sure they are as clear and definitive as possible.

I've been collecting "stuff" for 50 years....and it's gotta go. I'll re-open my Webstore store (where there are ads, but NO fees) and if that doesn't work, will phone around to local flea marketers and antique shops and get rid of it all in one fell swoop for a fraction of what I've paid.

Message 20 of 54
latest reply