The Myth of 'Free' Shipping Hurts Smaller Sellers

The Myth of Free Shipping Hurts Small SellersBy Ina Steiner 
EcommerceBytes.com 
April 29, 2016

inShare1 

Email This Story to a Friend

It's obvious to small sellers that they are at a disadvantage when it comes to shipping costs, but the Wall Street Journal quantified the issue for its readers this week in an article titled, ""Free" Shipping Crowds Out Small Retailers."

A chart shows a striking difference in the cost of shipping a 3-pound, 10-inch square box from New York City to Atlanta (residential address) using ground shipping:

A mega-retailer pays $5.80;

A small-medium retailer pays $15.14;

And an ecommerce startup pays $18.22.

From http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m04/i29/s03

And the prices quoted above are for US-postal (or more likely courier) rates which we all know are much more affordable than anything Canada Post can offer. I maintain ebay Canada would be able to get better rates for us if they tried a little harder. A few years ago, Expedited was discounted 24 per cent through paypal shipping until it fell to 18 per cent.  

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Canada Post also offers deeply discounted rates to volume shippers.  I am in total agreement with you about the failure of eBay to negotiate for better rates from Canada Post.  Perhaps they have presented CP with the same types of compelling arguments and quantifiable analysis for rate decreases that they did to .ca sellers about currency.  Something like "We did some research and found that your sales will increase if you drop your rates.  We're not at liberty to share the actual stats and analysis with you, but trust us, this will be to your benefit".

And don't jump on that comment right away - I'm not complaining (yet) about the change to Canadian currency.  But some real information may have acted like sugar to help the medicine go down.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Don't forget that Pitney-Bowes administers the Canada Post shipping deal and PayPal handles the money.

So a chunk of whatever shipping discount eBay.ca has arranged with Canada Post goes to Pitney-Bowes and PayPal in fees.

-..-

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

hlmacdon
Community Member

From http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m04/i29/s03

And the prices quoted above are for US-postal (or more likely courier) rates which we all know are much more affordable than anything Canada Post can offer. I maintain ebay Canada would be able to get better rates for us if they tried a little harder. A few years ago, Expedited was discounted 24 per cent through paypal shipping until it fell to 18 per cent.  

The article compares courier rates, where the spread on volume contracts is much greater than it is with USPS, where the NSA contracts aren't that far out from commercial plus pricing. Canada Post has a far greater inequity in it's pricing model, as the only easily accessible tiered pricing for small business available via "Venture One" and agreements like the paypal shipping offer relatively low discounts compared to volume contracts. UPS still far undercuts the most aggressive Canada Post volume contracts and has a large share of that business. I know with the volume contract we had with my previous employer, UPS ground rates were still a good 10% less on average, although the claim rates for shipping damage were much, much higher.

Canada Post needs to open itself up to shipping aggregators and offer a more accessible program for small business, like USPS has done in the US with the likes of Shipstation and others. Too much of the discount is going to PitneyBowes/Paypal bottom line. In an API driven age there is really no point in having a middleman like PitneyBowes involved. Even then there is only so much this will do as Canada just isn't setup to replicate anything close to what happens in the US logistics wise.

As far as the rest of the article it is more reflective of a difference in philosophy and business model between a large retailer and small businesses. It should really be titled the Myth of Margins. The ability of large retailers to discount is handicapped by MAP pricing and supplier relationships. The front end margin earned on the product, especially in competitive categories is less of a consideration than the back end margin, which is a blend of advertising co-op/mdf funds and volume incentive rebates. Large retailers are happy to sacrifice front end margin and subsidize shipping costs (rather than discounting the product price further, the discount is applied to the shipping and MAP pricing is maintained) to blend down to free/near free shipping to drive those back end dollars which are an accrual based percentage of sales. Those back end dollars typically add up to a double digit margin on a yearly basis. This is where Amazon reaps dollars from vendors to subsidize shipping. Site placement, placement in sales, etc are huge costs for vendors on Amazon.

For the small retailer, their back end program is going to be of little consequence (maybe a 2-3% volume rebate with ad-hoc, non-committed marketing dollars) and nothing close to what a large retailer gets. Just as with shipping companies, suppliers have tiered pricing and a small retailers price tier and backend program is going to be a double digit+ difference compared to that of a large retailer. That effectively locks them out from competing in these sort of mainstream categories.

Even if you narrow the gap on shipping, they are still going to be at a large competitive disadvantage. You have two choices, either go with a marketplace/3PL fulfillment model t where you leverage someone else's logistic pricing advantage or you go niche/specialty. In either case the margin expectations of yesterday don't really apply today. Larger retailers survive as their inventory is driven by supplier credit, which often gets extended to 60-90 day cycles to fuel inventory, which in turn fuels their back end dollars. The small guy simply can't leverage credit or inventory to do the same. At the end of the day, whether it is a supplier or a shipping company, the big guy is always going to have a large price advantage and margins will always be a shell game.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Also for those interested, you can read the rest of the article here albeit without the graphs.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

I know with the volume contract we had with my previous employer, UPS ground rates were still a good 10% less on average, although the claim rates for shipping damage were much, much higher.

That's interesting-- and a little scary.

The small guy simply can't leverage credit or inventory to do the same.

Those of us in the collectibles field perhaps have less of a concern about this.

It's more of a problem for those who must compete directly with WalMart, BestBuy or The Bay.

But we still have to pay attention to our procurement costs. As they say, you make money when you buy, not when you sell.

I think the advantages to 'free' shipping do increase for those of us with TRS discounts which lower the FVF we pay on the shipping portion of our selling prices, as well as for sellers in categories (like clothing and books).

And then we can add in the PP discount or the reduced cost of using discounted postage stamps.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

I know with the volume contract we had with my previous employer, UPS ground rates were still a good 10% less on average, although the claim rates for shipping damage were much, much higher.

That's interesting-- and a little scary.

UPS is unfortunately pretty rough on packages, particularly with oversized items which get tossed around. You quickly learn which categories of items are no bueno to ship via UPS ground. The problem with a low rate structure is that the costs that can be driven down are those that effect the line level employees and unhappy staff = worse handling for your items. FedEx and Purolator were much safer bets for that reason, at least at the time.

The small guy simply can't leverage credit or inventory to do the same.

Those of us in the collectibles field perhaps have less of a concern about this.

It's more of a problem for those who must compete directly with WalMart, BestBuy or The Bay.

But we still have to pay attention to our procurement costs. As they say, you make money when you buy, not when you sell.

Collectibles are still one of those niches that mainstream retailers (or distributors for that matter) can't do very well. Product management/buyers don't have the knowledge or the retailers lack the engagement with that community. Amazon is a good example of this, where they do carry some collectibles but you routinely see complaints of damaged items as their cookie cutter shipping methods (ECT 20'ish boxes plus 1 air pillow) don't really jive with that market.

The inequity in procurement costs really hurts the average small business. In the categories I was previously involved with a 5%+ invoice price difference wasn't unusual, even more so if you purchased inventory in USD for the product lines where distributors purchased their inventory in USD, thereby eliminating their FX hedge. 5% was the average net margin from a front end perspective, so essentially a small retailer would have to sell at cost or below 24/7 to just be competitive.

Those categories were very lax from a MAP pricing perspective, and now the vendors/suppliers are wondering why their business has dropped off considerably. All the small guys went out of business, or in worse cases, many of them did a runner leaving suppliers stuck with six figure unpaid debts. Targeted free shipping campaigns, self-funded or partially funded via vendor sell through rebates (for a given product you might receive a $5-$20 back end rebate for a set period) on key products were used to kill competition. In that sort of scenario the small guy has zero chance.

I think the advantages to 'free' shipping do increase for those of us with TRS discounts which lower the FVF we pay on the shipping portion of our selling prices, as well as for sellers in categories (like clothing and books).

And then we can add in the PP discount or the reduced cost of using discounted postage stamps.

There is that, but sellers with a good attach rate have to be mindful of overcharging on shipping this way. In my niche I can routinely outprice sellers in China on multi-item purchases as they rely on this method and have stolen a fair bit of share with regular buyers in the category who have cottoned on to this.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

On top of that what **bleep** me the most is a Chinese retailer delivering me a 1$ item from china to Canada in a package that would cost me, even with all the rebate I could get ( lets say tier 4 venture one client), 6-7$ to ship to someone on the same street where I live.

that's none sense

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Canada post in all likely hood will be going on strike sometime in the summer and we will all be up the creek with out a paddle.

Apparently according to the union, a court in Ontario said the back to work order from previous was unconstitutional by the Federal Government.

As if the union's greed and overpaid employees are constitutional when they have a monopoly and can cripple small business or even kill it.

Postal rates are ridiculous as it is and we really don't need them going up even more due to Union greed when as far as I am concerned, Canada's economy is fast going downhill as it is.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

walmart in Canada is increasingly restricting free shipping.  They've gone from free on any order, to now having a shipping fee and a seperate handling fee on lower amounts.  AMZN in Canada has now started hiring their own drivers to make deliveries.  

Message 10 of 10
latest reply