The New Listing Fees are Going to Ruin Me!

Maybe a strong comment, but I don't even know if I should even continue on eBay.  I rarely pay any insertion fees ... $4.00 or $5.00 at most in any given month.

I have two selling accounts.  Before the fee change:

Health and Beauty:

50 free auction only listings on each of .ca and .com.  When an auction promotion came along, I could re-list (or sell similar) any 7-day listings which had ended.  With a fixed price promotion, I could list these items for 30 days and if I ran out of the free ones, I still had the FP visible.  On occasion, I listed specific items as FP at a cost of 30 cents .... never more than a dozen.

(As of May 1st, only 20 free auction listings per site)

Media:

50 free Fixed Price on each of .ca and .com.  If I had used all my free listings, I could re-list for only 5 cents.  Again, with the promotions, I would be able to have all my available items visible each month ....  at little or no cost.

(As of May 1st, only 20 free fixed price listings per site PLUS the listing fee has increased from 5 cents to 30 cents.)

I was always grateful for the free listings and any promotion I was invited to because it allowed me to list the majority of items I had available.

Now if I open a store for both @ $19.95, that's a $40.00 expense I've never had before.  I usually have 100 to 125 listings available on each of the selling accounts.  If I reduce the number of my listings to those I can afford, I'm still looking at fees close to the $20 mark for each (with fewer items listed).  That's not a lot of money for the majority of sellers.  However, I don't earn a lot on eBay but what I do earn is always devoted to monthly expenses, like rent or utilities.  I don't do this as a hobby and I don't view the money I earn as an "extra" to be used to treat myself.

On a good month, I might earn $400 or $500, so the $40 I would spend on stores/fees would not be prohibitive.  But often, I have a very slow month, like this past April, where my profit was only $160.00 (the $40.00 would have a larger impact).

Are there other sellers out there like me .... who are having a real problem with the new fee structure?  Maybe you can offer some advice as to how best to deal with this new policy.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

On another note, I always thought it was unfair to store sellers having to pay for their free listings (or pay for listing before they got free listing) while many non-store sellers got free listings and extra free listing promos. It never made sense to me to treat store sellers this way. All the free listing promos used by non-store sellers took away some sales from store sellers. The only reason ebay did this was that the

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

We don't know yet if the listing specials will continue but if they do, it sounds like that would work for you.

As Pierre suggested, another option is to open one store.  In a basic store you could list 150 listings on .ca and another 150 on .com.

I will agree with PJ and say wait and see if the extra free listing promos continue on eBay.  No need to panic yet if you has a non-store with 50 + 50 and are now 20 + 20. ebay gave out so many extra free promos that I was invited to that I never used up my non-store 50 + 50. I also used both the eBay.ca and eBay.com sites to double the 50 + 50 and will do the same for the 20 + 20.

Is eBay pushing non-store sellers to stores? Maybe. If they were in the past 3 years, having those extra free promos sure did not encourage non-store sellers to get a store. I was ready to back to store after I closed my store in Canada Post strike/walkout but all of the free promos started then and went on 2-3 times a month. I never used all of the 50 + 50 each month because there was always a promo to use first. Never needed to go back to a store. Store lower FVF saving was not enough to pay for a store.

If the extra free promos become rarer or less invitations, then non-store sellers will have to consider a store. All non-store seller will have the same problem so will have to make the same decisions.

Non-store sellers will have to wait and see how the extra free promos go and adjust to the new reality.

On another note, I always thought it was unfair to store sellers having to pay for their free listings (or pay for listing before they got free listing) while many non-store sellers got free listings and extra free listing promos. It never made sense to me to treat store sellers this way. All the free listing promos used by non-store sellers took away some sales from store sellers. The only reason ebay did this was that the free listing promos generated money for eBay and eBay does not care where the money comes from. Good for ebay but not good for store sellers. What was the point of having a store if eBay diluted their sales. eBay makes no sense at times.

I've often thought the same thing. Not only did they get free listings but non store owners do not  have to pay for a BIN price on auctions and stores do. That doesn't make much sense to me. Non store owners also get free scheduled listings which are 10 cents for stores. I get them for free when using Auctiva so that doesn't affect me but I don't understand why some have to pay and some don't.

Message 21 of 50
latest reply

When the new Spring changes were announced I was sick to my stomach.  I have about 5,000 CD's to list and this was going to ruin me.   After I picked myself off the floor I began to do some research as to what other venues to sell on.  I am now registered on 3 and selling on 2 other venues besides ebay. One imports my ebay listings and is synchronized with them.  So when I sell an item on ebay, it automatically takes it off that venue, they even imported my feedback.  No listing fees on any of the venues and cheaper FVF and no FVF on shipping. 

This is what I posted on .com on one of the discussion groups on Monday.

I sell CD's and where I would be spending time last weekend listing new items on ebay, I am now listing on 2 other venues besides ebay.  Both venues do not charge at all for listing.  It will be ebay's loss as many of the media sellers will just move their inventory to other venues, most already sell on a number of venues.  I am not leaving Ebay, just reducing my new listings.   Ebay gave me a kick in the pants to make sure I don't have all my eggs in one basket.  I will never just list on ebay alone, no matter if they brought back the 5 cent listing or not.  It is too bad.

I feel that ebay doesn't really care about us.  Just wait when the buyers move over to other venues because that is where the sellers are.  Ebay will just increase the fees from the sellers to make up for their loss.  

It's like when a restaurant falls out of favor and they raise the prices on the menu to make up for the short fall in profit, we all know what happens to that restaurant, it closes or is bought out.   

I think that Ebay will be sorry in the long run they implemented this spring update.  It will cost them more than they gain.  

Message 22 of 50
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

When the new Spring changes were announced I was sick to my stomach.  I have about 5,000 CD's to list and this was going to ruin me.   After I picked myself off the floor I began to do some research as to what other venues to sell on.  I am now registered on 3 and selling on 2 other venues besides ebay. One imports my ebay listings and is synchronized with them.  So when I sell an item on ebay, it automatically takes it off that venue, they even imported my feedback.  No listing fees on any of the venues and cheaper FVF and no FVF on shipping. 

This is what I posted on .com on one of the discussion groups on Monday.

I sell CD's and where I would be spending time last weekend listing new items on ebay, I am now listing on 2 other venues besides ebay.  Both venues do not charge at all for listing.  It will be ebay's loss as many of the media sellers will just move their inventory to other venues, most already sell on a number of venues.  I am not leaving Ebay, just reducing my new listings.   Ebay gave me a kick in the pants to make sure I don't have all my eggs in one basket.  I will never just list on ebay alone, no matter if they brought back the 5 cent listing or not.  It is too bad.

I feel that ebay doesn't really care about us.  Just wait when the buyers move over to other venues because that is where the sellers are.  Ebay will just increase the fees from the sellers to make up for their loss.  

It's like when a restaurant falls out of favor and they raise the prices on the menu to make up for the short fall in profit, we all know what happens to that restaurant, it closes or is bought out.   

I think that Ebay will be sorry in the long run they implemented this spring update.  It will cost them more than they gain.  

Thanks.  I went to .com to read some of the comments.  I had previously done some research on other sites, but it seemed like a lot of work to move to a new site, so I held firm .... until the new fees came into effect.  I'm going to do some serious investigation this week, particularly when you say that one of them synchronizes with eBay.

Message 23 of 50
latest reply

I sell on ebay as a hobby, and seasonal.  I always used ebay's promotions with my 50 free listings. Having a lot of listings

drew people to my other listings and things sold. Ebay would get $100-$200 a month for a few months, and sometimes much,

much more depending what fell in my lap to sell.

It made me a "Top Rated Seller" and so-called "Power Seller".

Today, ebay is desperately trying to remove those titles from my name. Limit my listings, make me go to a store.

Well the store will not work for me ( that's what i figure and their calculator backs me up)

Many of us, like the CD post above, sell items that ebay's fees make it impossible to sell. Sure i hit the jackpot once in awhile

and sell high priced items, but for the most part i have a lot of lower priced listings. 300 sales of $2 is still $600.

20 at a time.. not so good.

I see what ebay is trying to do, but they are now so far removed from what made them into the giant they became. Their downfall

started before this... this is just the kick in the nads to us to hurry their downfall.

Too bad man, cuz this was fun.

Message 24 of 50
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

When the new Spring changes were announced I was sick to my stomach.  I have about 5,000 CD's to list and this was going to ruin me.   After I picked myself off the floor I began to do some research as to what other venues to sell on.  I am now registered on 3 and selling on 2 other venues besides ebay. 

_____________________________________________________________________________________

While I do understand what you're saying and why, I still believe that on eBay, adapting is the key, meaning adapting so that a seller is going with the flow rather than against it (i.e. going against the flow by sticking with previously tried-and-true methods even in the face of lessening success).  Those sellers will lose ground and ultimately be left behind (or have to go elsewhere, where they get lower market exposure).

I think we all have to continually evaluate what is working and why, what isn't working and why not, and try to see eBay's "big picture" -- as opaque as they keep it -- so we can keep moving in the same direction. Change is always hard, but it's often the best option here.   Of course, one way of adapting is not to keep all your eggs in one basket (certainly a legitimate strategy), but there are other strategies to make eBay work better for you too. 

As I said above, it seems to me that eBay is morphing toward a consistent "look" on their site, i.e. primarily storefronts.  As eBay encourages more and more sellers to move to storefronts, the non-store owners will eventually find themselves falling behind.  I don't like to repeat myself, but in this case it's significant -- my own experience as a buyer tells me that non-store listings are not as attractive, nor as accessible as store listings -- especially if a store seller uses the store categories properly.  This factor in itself might account for depressed sales for a non-store owner.  

The other key thing to consider about stores, and that so many sellers overlook completely by being focused only on the costs of fees, are all the valuable intangibles that come with having a store.  I know I've said this before too, but my view is that if even one of those features creates one extra sale per month, my store is paid for!  The fact is that without a store, I think I'd be a dead duck by now. Smiley Very Happy

Just a few examples, for those who are still skeptical.  I use: 

1)  Store subscriber lists (regularly) to promote sales, new products, etc. etc.; 

2)  Ominiture stats (to determine who is buying what and why, and adapt my items to demand).  This is absolutely critical information, if you make proper use of it; 

3)  Logos and branding on storefront, invoices, parcel inserts, packing slips, etc. (to encourage recognition and repeat business -- I know from my stats that many customers now search by my store name); 

4)  Promotion boxes (for special announcements, promotional deals, etc.); 

5)  Store pages (to tell customers a little bit about me and my process; 

6)  Store categories (very customizable, to direct buyers where you want them to be able to go); 

and many more (I'm not giving away all my marketing tips, sorry).  Woman LOL  

Some sellers have items that are particularly amenable to marketing with "branding" or "recognition" features, and those are the ones that I think would be able to make the best use of having a store.  

I just don't see the point in bucking the trend anymore, now that eBay is leaning in the direction of storefronts and giving us a lot of marketing and promotional features to with them.  As I said (again), in the "real" corporate world, companies pay enormous sums to purchase non-tangibles like branding, customer lists, logos, advertising rights, etc. etc.  There's a good reason that is so -- it works.  

Message 25 of 50
latest reply

"Ominiture stats (to determine who is buying what and why, and adapt my items to demand).  This is absolutely critical information, if you make proper use of it; "

Unfortunately, this important feature is being phased out by eBay in June

Message 26 of 50
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"Ominiture stats (to determine who is buying what and why, and adapt my items to demand).  This is absolutely critical information, if you make proper use of it; "

Unfortunately, this important feature is being phased out by eBay in June

Wow!  That's really bad news.  Do you know why -- too expensive perhaps for eBay to continue?  I'm flabbergasted! 

Message 27 of 50
latest reply

Please take a look at this thread from last week:

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/eBay-Stores/eBay-will-drop-access-to-Traffic-Reports-for-store-owners-Ju...

You should have received the same message from eBay last week.

Message 28 of 50
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Of course, one way of adapting is not to keep all your eggs in one basket (certainly a legitimate strategy) ......   

I believe we've all known that there are other venues on which to sell, but there are any number of reasons many of us don't try them .... the inconvenience of getting started on a new site, the transfer or reworking of our existing listings to meet the requirements of the new site, our comfort with the known and, yes, even our loyalty to our clients on eBay.  And we might be deterred by what we are told with regard to the low traffic statistics on other sites.

I guess there comes a point ... a different one for each seller ... when something forces our hand and we start to look at trying something new.  As you and others have mentioned, there are many advantages to having a store.  And that's certainly a proven strategy.  However, I personally would like to experience the environment on another site ... if it's low cost, it would at least add to the exposure of my items.  And I will have learned something new.  Who knows, I might even gain a new appreciation for eBay or, conversely, I might think .... why didn't I try this long ago.

Message 29 of 50
latest reply

OK, so they're not dropping the concept, simply replacing it with hopefully a better feature, as in (my bold emphasis): 

"Later this year, we'll introduce new features to replace the current Store traffic reports.

[...] Know that your access to Sales Reports Plus is not affected and that in the weeks ahead, we'll let you know all about the new reporting features we'll soon offer."

That's all just fine, in fact better!   I couldn't imagine eBay would completely drop such a useful and important feature for store sellers. 

The other site I sell on actually has a far better and user-friendly "stats" feature than eBay, so it may be eBay realized they needed to revamp the old options.  Omniture is admittedly a bit awkward and outdated in terms of easy access.  

Message 30 of 50
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

Interestingly (or should I say disturbingly), I did not.  And I do have my preferences set to receive updates and promotional emails from eBay.  

This isn't the first time eBay's message system has failed in this regard. 

Message 31 of 50
latest reply

I see the emphasis as:..  Later this year,... (whenever that is)

Message 32 of 50
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member

Not likely ever open to any of us, but large new ebay Canada competitor is here

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/best-buy-canada-plans-to-broaden-online-offerings-...

Message 33 of 50
latest reply

@toby**bleep**zu wrote:

Not likely ever open to any of us, but large new ebay Canada competitor is here

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/best-buy-canada-plans-to-broaden-online-offerings-...

Wow ... that's a very interesting direction they've taken.  Even big corporations have to re-invent themselves to survive.

Message 34 of 50
latest reply

Hi rose-dee, thanks for your information.  It is not that I am against opening a store.  I probably will in Sept as the spring/summer is really slow for CD sales.  Right now as I have the time, I am exploring other venues to sell on too.   I know that many of them are not as popular as ebay, but it doesn't hurt for the extra exposure.  I just don't want to have all my eggs in one basket.  On the other venues I see that sales are being made, so it doesn't hurt to list with them, especially when their fees are so much lower and they don't have a FVF on shipping. 

Message 35 of 50
latest reply

hey can someone send me the source to this .. If it 's true I'm just going to move over to amazon it will be cheaper now.

Message 36 of 50
latest reply

The source for what?

Message 37 of 50
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

@pierrelebel wrote:

Interestingly (or should I say disturbingly), I did not.  And I do have my preferences set to receive updates and promotional emails from eBay.  

This isn't the first time eBay's message system has failed in this regard. 

Haha, I just finally got the email this evening.  LOL.  Woman LOL  Pierre, you must be on eBay's priority messaging list somehow.  

Anyway, better late than never I suppose. 

Message 39 of 50
latest reply

the link that talks about the fees But never mind I just checked the fee page... wonder when Paypal fees will go up as well lol. Anyway 

Some people say to buy a store but I have one and paying for a premium store limits to 500 items no I don't have 500 items up now but why limit my self for the future.  and it costs more than amazon's seller membership :'( There fees are just about the same now from 7% to 9% + 2.5 % and .25$

Not trying to sound bitter business is business and money is money clearly they want a higher evaluation to sell at and than the company is not there responsible and the new owners will have to drop the fees before to many people move on and that once high evaluation goes down the next q .the reason why I never went to amazon was because I thought there fees were high but now it seems there around the same..

Message 40 of 50
latest reply