There is a guy on kijiji looking to make people into power sellers on ebay. $20. Info please

A guy on kijiji is trying to teach people to become power sellers on eBay for $20. Does anyone know about this? And what is it please.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There is a guy on kijiji looking to make people into power sellers on ebay. $20. Info please

Many thanks to all who commented and/or answered my question.

Kind regards and the best of luck to all.

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/sell-powersellers.html

That page makes it sound all wonderful and stuff, but it isn't, really.

And you certainly don't need to be spending money to get anyone's help. If you've got good products and good customer service, you can get there yourself in pretty short order.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

I guess he provides tips to maintain powerseller status on eBay. It's not difficult to be a powerseller, you just have to sell at least 100 items (or $1000).

I would completely avoid it. Most likely you'll end up with a sheet of suggestions and be out $20

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Used to be that power seller meant something, $1000 a MONTH, every month. A thousand a year? Some of us have done that in a day.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

It really doesn't mean much now.  100 sales in 6 months and you are a bronze level "Power Seller" ... oops, should have got my $20 first.

Kijiji is big hot mess, so many listings wanting Ebay+ price and basically posting up big garage sales,

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Aside from being one of the many stepping stones to getting TRS (Top Rated Seller) status, which really is worth something, Power Seller status is meaningless in itself.  

There is no magic in getting PS status, and you certainly don't need to buy a manual to achieve it.  TRS is different.  

Save your $20 and just click "Help & Contact" at the top of any eBay page, type in "Power Seller" and you'll get the information you need.  Or just keep selling until you've reached the 100 item per year and $1,000 threshold. Maintaining PS status is simply a matter of keeping an eye on your Dashboard and continuing to list and sell regularly.

Remember that maxim: "There's a sucker born every minute"?  Well, the person selling this "knowledge" is counting on that.  Don't fall for it.  

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Kijiji is owned by eBay, 100% I believe.

I watch maybe an hour of TV a day if my Precious Honey turns on my programme for me. Every time, it seems, I see a Kijiji ad. What? They haven't wiped out all of the competition yet?

When are they going to start using Kijiji as a lead-in to eBay, or are they?

Photobucket
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

When are they going to start using Kijiji as a lead-in to eBay, or are they?

Yes, I've often wondered why we see so many Kijiji ads, yet I can't recall the last time I saw a TV ad for eBay.  

(P.S.  I liked the "Precious Honey" bit -- in our household, it's my "PH" who has a firm grip on the remote.  I watch my chick flicks after he's gone to bed. Woman LOL)

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I do not know how to operate the TV or remote. My PH knows that I usually have a show to watch, for an hour, Monday to Wed, and CFL on the weekend.

I have no desire to learn how to use that thing.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Yup, Kijiji is an Ebay creation.  And Ebay bought 25% of Craigslist in the US, and though it isn't clear it looks like Ebay board members have a good ownership chunk to.  Craigslist is still big in the US, where Kijiji does not dominate like it does in Canada.

Speculation was when Kijiji was created it was a venue to move the low value garage sale items off of Ebay to a local market.  Have to think there has to have been some success there, and the clamping down on free relists will motivate that for sellers.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@atvds1210 wrote:

Yup, Kijiji is an Ebay creation.  And Ebay bought 25% of Craigslist in the US, and though it isn't clear it looks like Ebay board members have a good ownership chunk to.  Craigslist is still big in the US, where Kijiji does not dominate like it does in Canada.

Speculation was when Kijiji was created it was a venue to move the low value garage sale items off of Ebay to a local market.  Have to think there has to have been some success there, and the clamping down on free relists will motivate that for sellers.

The thing is, we know all of this, the average person does not. The average does not know that eBay IS Kijiji.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:

@atvds1210 wrote:

The thing is, we know all of this, the average person does not. The average does not know that eBay IS Kijiji.

I don't disagree that only a small percentage of Kijiji users know that it's owned by eBay.

Kind of funny given that this is on every single Kijiji page....

"Copyright © 2014 eBay International AG."

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Yes, I've often wondered why we see so many Kijiji ads, yet I can't recall the last time I saw a TV ad for eBay.  

I've seen a lot of Kijiji ads on the cable stations-- mostly around the Canadian Pickers or pawnshop shows.

It had been years since I saw one for eBay, but I spotted one at breakfast on the hotel TV here in Victoria, from a Seattle station and on a news program.

I loved those eBay/Canada Post ads some years ago. Hitting all the right buttons, lots of items, lots of places, diversity, easy shipping to your door, nationalism:  Is it still a trifecta when there are more than three wins?

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

mg152
Community Member
Go to Amazon, there are 100's of free ebooks that help you sell on eBay. Nick vulich is one of the best. I just got his ebook eBay 2014 free. His new ebook eBay 2015 is coming out soon. Don't spend $$ to learn what you can learn for free.
RIP Jann & Charlie Keller. You followed each other to heaven too soon. We miss you both!

Be nice to other people! You don’t know what’s going on in their life.
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Many thanks to all who commented and/or answered my question.

Kind regards and the best of luck to all.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

@mg152 wrote:
Go to Amazon, there are 100's of free ebooks that help you sell on eBay. Nick vulich is one of the best. I just got his ebook eBay 2014 free. His new ebook eBay 2015 is coming out soon. Don't spend $$ to learn what you can learn for free.

Such books are very good as background primers, as long as the reader keeps in mind that they are generally already seriously out of date by the time they're published.  Every Spring and Fall for the past 3 or 4 years, a major retooling of policy is done that can affect and change many areas of selling, and those changes can be critical ones.  

Basically, an eBay book would have to be revised about every 8 to 12 weeks to keep up with current reality. That wasn't the case 10 years ago, but it is today.  Even eBay.ca itself can't seem to keep up -- it's help pages are constantly out of date with updates on eBay.com.  

If a new seller does rely on a book, he/she needs to also make sure to read all Seller Updates and other policy changes on eBay's site itself for at least the year prior to the book's publication date, and understand how those changes will impact various areas of selling.  

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I loved those eBay/Canada Post ads some years ago. Hitting all the right buttons, lots of items, lots of places, diversity, easy shipping to your door, nationalism:  Is it still a trifecta when there are more than three wins?

Quadrifecta??  Quintifecta?  etc.?  I kind of like the sound of Octifecta.  Woman LOL

Message 17 of 17
latest reply