There is something wrong with ebay Stores search

Has anyone else seen this? Like when you go to do a search and you want to filter it at left via sellers who have stores (something I like to do since I appreciate the option of combining shipping charges on multi-item orders) and you attempt to filter the Stores search with its categories, you get false results or none at all?

This says I have 14 items in the category of Disney Cars when, in fact, I have 500+ and that I've got no LEGO, nor does any seller in Canada have a store that sells LEGO which is totally false. 

What gives? Are the rest of you able to red-create this problem?

Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 4.45.32 PM.png

and Screen Shot 2016-10-22 at 4.46.12 PM.png

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

I have never in my life done a search that way.... but yes I have found your store with 14 matching items in Disney Cars ... that was a lot of work ... do you think buyers really go through all of that? Sorry just asking because I have never tried to do a search that way in my life.  I've said it twice, I must really mean it 🙂 

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Is there a difference between Disney - cars  in the filter .... and in your store you have Disney Pixar Cars ... I don't see the actual word Pixar in the left side filters ... just cars ... could that be causing problems?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I tried a slightly different way by doing a basic search - toys - canada only - disney .... now you come up as a matching seller with 612 items in Disney Cars 

Matching eBay Stores

I am sorry , I know you taught me how to insert a screen shot but I still cannot do it using windows 7 platform 

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

I did a similar search to themodernowl. Searched "Disney Cars", in "Toys & Hobbies", refined by "Canada Only". I show your store as having 622 matches.

mj.png

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

I was able to recreate the original problem using the same steps in the original post. I wish I knew why it only shows 14 items when you refine that way so I could be of more help.

As themodernowl said, it's possible not many people would search that specific way where your store is pushed that far down the list. If they search through the more common method, and refine as we did, your store shows up at the top of the list with 600+ items.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

It is odd that search shows just 14 items.  

I never search for items in stores and I doubt that the majority of buyers search like that.  Is there a particular reason why you search stores rather than all sellers? You mentioned combined shipping but I'm not seeing the correlation between that and stores so either I misunderstood or I'm missing something.  (It wouldn't be the first time. 🙂

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thank you all for your help with this. I find it puzzling. There seems to be no way for me to see which of my 500+ listings are recognized as the 14 they think I have so unfortunately that sheds no light. 

That count of 600 or so is off because of the way I have set-up my store categories. There are about 100 items that legitimately fit into more than one of the sub-categories that I have created so it throws off the count. For example, a Cars Micro Drifter (product line) from Cars 2 (major dividing line between characters that a buyer would seek) will appear in the Cars 2 Store Category as well as the Micro Drifters Store Category. Remember, these are my categories only within my store. 

My actual listing count for Disney Cars is closer to 500. (Exhibit A)

Be that as it may, it still doesn't explain that discrepancy. Fourteen is miles away from 500. Examining the Disney Cars versus Disney PIXAR Cars is a valid point. Toy branding was altered midway through production because Disney purchased and then absorbed Pixar and therefore the name changed on packages. But then it was added quickly back to packaging. (I can only imagine the hollering and fist-shaking behind the scenes in boardrooms across the world about that.) Although the Category to buyers says simply Cars, when you go to create a listing (Exhibit B) the only choice available is Disney Pixar Cars. (Exhibit C)

(Exhibit A)

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.01.55 AM.png

(Exhibit B) 

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.03.34 AM.png

(Exhibit C)

Screen Shot 2016-10-23 at 11.04.04 AM.png

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

About searching the ebay Stores directory itself, the act that caused this weirdness to surface: I don't honestly know how many buyers look for sellers this way today. But I can assure you that this was the way I sought sellers with deep pockets of inventory* when I was assembling my own collection. It was also one of my primary influences to sign-up for a stores subscription in 2012. Now, I first signed up on ebay.com and created some listings which I switched to ebay.ca as soon as I realized it made better sense for me to have the store in Canadian funds so I wonder if this number 14 represents the first (14?) items I listed accidentally on ebay.com before realizing my mistake and moving them and the rest to ebay.ca. 

*My reasoning a the time was that i wanted sellers with stores because it said to me that they were planning to do this for real and sticking around for more than two weeks to sell their junk and then get the heck out of Dodge. The second is that I had a long list of have-to-haves and wanted to source those from as few people as possible so I could place bulk orders and utilize economies of scale when it came to combining postage and getting the most bang for my buck that way. That's the reason I was looking for sellers with stores and having them listed by quantity seemed a smart way to find them. Therefore, I did use the Directory. Today, I have my favourites on ebay and tend to shop from them first so I'm not doing that same search anymore which is the reason I never noticed until now that it says I only have 14 items for sale in that category.

Disney Cars is a very cluttered category. If you collect diecasts from Mattel you need to weed away the plastic ones and the Disney Store ones and there are literally tens of thousands sold loose as counterfeits/backdoor-liberated from factories in China. I never wanted those (at least not after the first three attempts to buy direct when all I got was SNADs delivered) so it was always important for me to find sellers with new in package product who were legit and seeing from either North America or UK or Australia.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

And if I may, a follow-up question to anyone who wants to take the time to search through the Directory themselves. What results do you find when you look for your own store in the Ebay Store Directory? Is the listing count correct? Does it reflect the right number of items you have for that search? 

Maybe we can isolate the problem this way. That 14 for me makes no sense. Unless it was the original 14 that I listed on ebay.com with my accidental ebay.com Store in the Spring of 2012 when I created my first listings for sale. That would represent a disadvantage to Canadian store owners of which we were never made aware. 

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

This is probably off-topic but it bothers me so ... when I do a basic search of Disney Pixar Cars in all categories, and I don't put in any Item Location Specifics (just the Default radial button is clicked off already) ... Matching ebay Stores shows:

Matching eBay Stores

Not one of those stores is located in Canada ---- on ebay dot ca why would they not show Canadian Sellers first? I don't care how horrible the Seller is, why wouldn't they "promote" a Canadian Seller over a US or China based Seller (that the results above are driving me to) on the Canadian site ????  It's not until I take the extra step and click off on Canada Only that I get 4 Canadian Sellers ( with MJ at the top of the list ) ... why should I have to take an extra step to find a great Canadian Seller ???? 

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I'm in complete agreement with you. If I'm making a choice to shop on eBay.ca, I'd like to see items from sellers in my own country well ahead of all the chaff from China.
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

The sellers that show up first in that particular store search are based in the USA at least. (Off the top of my head.)
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Correction: three of four are USA. One is based in China. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@themodernowl wrote:

on ebay dot ca why would they not show Canadian Sellers first? I don't care how horrible the Seller is, why wouldn't they "promote" a Canadian Seller over a US or China based Seller (that the results above are driving me to) on the Canadian site ????  It's not until I take the extra step and click off on Canada Only that I get 4 Canadian Sellers ( with MJ at the top of the list ) ... why should I have to take an extra step to find a great Canadian Seller ???? 

That has ALWAYS bugged me.  Depending on the thing you are looking for they might be all China first and you just KNOW there are sellers in Canada offering it.  In that Best Match that eBay shows people initially they should at least put the best CANADIAN options first.  I don't think eBay ever cares much about Canada since apart from FVFs a Canadian sale keeps CDN$ in Canada and won't ever do anything for the US. 

Buyers really shouldn't have to hunt for the option to find sellers from CANADA on the .CA site but I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply