This is how bad Canada Post is......................

Shipped a postcard First Class Mail London Ontario to Oregon on Dec 15th. It finally came back to me yesterday as "return to sender, unclaimed, unable to forward". This is 2 months after shipment! Needless to say, I refunded the buyer a long time ago.

Second mess - sent a book First Class Mail London Ont at St Catherines, Ontario on Dec 29, finally came back to me "return to sender" 6 weeks later. Also refunded buyer ages ago.

In both cases the buyers address was correct.

AGGHHH

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Had a parcel come into the country from the USA last friday the 13th. Between then and now the tracking info disappeared from the Canada Post website and Canada Posts and CBSA played a game of pass the buck, thewy have it, no they have it. Finally, even though the tracking info still hasn't returned to the Canada Post website, I called in and the package is out for delivery today.

So the package sat somewhere in Mississauga (suburb of Toronto) for an entire week before it finally gets to me in downtown Toronto!

Pathetic!

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yet, those employees get hefty salary for doing lousy work!!

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Julieo,

With regard to the first item, shipped to Oregon, to be fair, Canada Post isn't necessarily to blame. That mail piece could have been languishing for God knows how long at the address or in some USPS sorting plant. Perhaps CP returned it to you expeditiously after receiving it from the USPS.

Also, I wouldn't use the term First Class Mail when discussing Canada Post. Over the years, CP have run roughshod over this category of mail, which, according to the Universal Postal Union, is recognized worldwide (except by CP) as including letters and small parcels weighing up to and including 2 kg. CP has unilaterally decreed that international letters must not weigh more than 500 g and may not contain goods; everything else that would be considered First Class Mail everywhere else in the world is a Parcel. It's travesty.

Tom  

Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I had a small registered Parcel coming from Germany and it was 3 days coming from Germany and it arrived in Canada and is showing it has been in Mississauga since Friday February 6. and has not moved at all since then and this is February 20. It is a fairly pricey parcel and the Seller in Germany is starting to get concerned that it might have gone missing. He checked on it and they told him the weather is slowing down the mail but 14 days is a bit much. He told me he hates shipping to Canada because of this reason and Canada Post and is thinking of blocking selling to Canada all together.

Message 5 of 23
latest reply

What makes it even more interesting is that in both cases, the stamps were never cancelled.....................

Message 6 of 23
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member
A little over a week ago,I mailed a coin from Vancouver to Quebec.
I received the envelope back 3 days later with a Canada Post 'Return to sender' sticker over the delivery address.
No reason provided.

I took the envelope to my local Canada Post office to have it looked at and weighed; thinking postage might have been inadequate.

All was fine with the original mailing.

So, we pulled the 'Return to sender' sticker off, and put it in the mail exactly as it had been before it's return.
I got feedback from the buyer a couple of days later thanking me for the coin.
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

"No reason provided."

I have experienced a few over the years.

CP does not need to provide a reason.  However, they usually provide information as to how much the postage should have been or how much is missing.

Every time this happened, it was the result of an envelope weighing 31 to 50g and mailed at the first class rate for up o 50g.

However, upon measuring the thickness of the envelope (the post office has a plastic slot to do that) the envelope was thicker than 5mm - the limit to quality for the under 50g rate.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

kashka
Community Member

For fun and when I am bored I like going to their Face Book page and read the "Posts to Page" and read the hundreds of posts of people with complaints.Then I don't feel so alone when they screw up my shipments..lol.

I have been bitter ever since they reduced my local office hours and now because I have to be at work when they open I can only pick up parcels on Saturday before noon and if I am away I have to wait until the next Saturday.

I also have to get my neighbour to drop my shipments off because of this too.I thanked them for this on their FB page and they came back with the response "Happy to help you out!!"..guess they missed the sarcasm font..

"Delivering the Online World!"...yeah..right....eventually.

Message 9 of 23
latest reply

OK, Pierre, that's all understood but it doesn't explain Mcc's problem (assuming his mail piece met all requirements).

Tom

Message 10 of 23
latest reply

@treasure.hunter.d wrote:

Had a parcel come into the country from the USA last friday the 13th. Between then and now the tracking info disappeared from the Canada Post website and Canada Posts and CBSA played a game of pass the buck, thewy have it, no they have it. Finally, even though the tracking info still hasn't returned to the Canada Post website, I called in and the package is out for delivery today.

So the package sat somewhere in Mississauga (suburb of Toronto) for an entire week before it finally gets to me in downtown Toronto!

Pathetic!

So I finally got my parcel after it sat in Mississauga for a week.

To add insult to injury, I get a COD bill for taxes and HANDLING FEE (nice of them to bill me $9.95 for the act of billing me) for almost $60. I have long taken issue with paying taxes on pre-owned items but every time I get stuck with a bill like this it just drives home the point of how badly the Canadian govt does not want small business to fluorish in Canada.

90% of all of my top end ie. real money making, inventory comes from the USA and the majority of my customers are from the USA, therefor I am competing primarily with USA sellers so between the outlandish shipping rates from Canada Post, the $20 cap on free importation and nickel and dime costs like the $9.95 handling fee, not to mention the stupid taxes paid on used/second hand items, the little guy has barely a chance to make a go of it at all trying to compete with USA sellers that have you beat with lower costs on every front as well as help from the US Postal Service with things like the "If It Fits It Ships" program.

In Canada it seems like the motto is becoming "Screw the little guy because he can't fight back"

Enfuriating!

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

The Canada Post clerk checked the weight (25 grams) and thickness; which was also fine.

The same as my weight , etc. at home before the initial mailing.

Message 12 of 23
latest reply

In regards to the taxes collected on imported goods, if one has a GST/HST number they become an input tax credit, and a seller that exports a lot can end up getting $ back from the Government when filing an GST/HST return. I do find it strange that we have to pay Canada Post a fee for paying tax and duty, but Canada Post's fee is less than outfits like UPS.  When I buy from the US I have the merchandise shipped to my US Postal address and import it myself at the Bluewater Bridge in Sarnia. Most of the time for lower value shipments I get waved through even when I declare things. If I have to go inside and pay they generally extract their fees quickly and I am on my way without paying extra for the "privilege" of paying tax.

As much as most of us dislike GST/HST it ain't going to go away. The civil servants in Ottawa realize that it is a money grabbing machine that helps pay for their gold plated fringe benefits 

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

On the other hand, sometimes Canada Post is great! I sent a tie to Japan last Tues and they already have it!

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

I will no longer purchase things online if Canada post is a part of the delivery sequence....If they don;t delay, lose, or rerturn your item..they steal it.

Message 15 of 23
latest reply

@generalcleanup wrote:

I will no longer purchase things online if Canada post is a part of the delivery sequence...

Don't reply to a thread from TWO YEARS AGO -- start your own thread if you have an issue

Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Small orders from Veitnam now take at least 3 months.  An order from the US cleared customs over 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of it.

They should change their name to the Canada PIST OFFice.

Message 17 of 23
latest reply

@chichako1952 wrote:

Small orders from Veitnam now take at least 3 months.  An order from the US cleared customs over 2 weeks ago. Still no sign of it.

They should change their name to the Canada PIST OFFice.

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with Canada Post and everything to do with CBSA subjecting extended scrutiny to postal packages from drug originating countries. Anything that is not classed as expedited (EMS or e-packet (or other branded services under the same UPU program)) gets piled up for screening and receives is treated with the lowest level of priority.

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

Yes, it's not Canada Post's problem, but tightening customs security. People needs to stop getting mad at the workers providing end service and look at where the actual change was. I rarely buy anything I need urgently online, and if I do need them urgently I'll fork over expressed mail postage to the seller.

It's like getting mad at the cashier for a policy change made by the higher-ups... I get that sort of treatment from disgruntled "customers" at work from time to time, it's not really fair that I get yelled at when I'm not the one who decided on the change, only the one who implemented them.

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

@zee-chan wrote:

Yes, it's not Canada Post's problem, but tightening customs security. People needs to stop getting mad at the workers providing end service and look at where the actual change was.

Exactly. I always try to maintain a great relationship with my postal carriers/clerks and the CBSA people I interact with even when things aren't going smoothly. Not much fun playing needle in a haystack with an neverending tide of packages coming in.

Message 20 of 23
latest reply