This really takes the cake........

I sold a pair of earrings yesterday.  Today the purchaser  asked about the shipment.  I replied that we do not have Postal Service in Canada on Saturday or Sunday but I will ship tomorrow (Monday).  Buyer replied that my site states that item will be shipped day after payment is made and she paid yesterday so she wants to know if this was a mistake because shipping is still not shown.  She also let me know that she was hoping to receive it by the end of the week because its a gift.  She  obviously did not see the ETA as 6 - 11 business days.

Purchaser has 0 feedback and is in New York.  Surely she knows there is no mail service on Sunday,  even if she is new at eBay.  I wrote her that we should cancel  the  transaction as I cannot guarantee delivery.  I  refunded the payment.

This is a no win situation!  

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

The OP doesn't live in Halifax, sorry my mstake.

Message 21 of 55
latest reply

That's it. That's your response.

P.S. The OP is in Ontario. We all saw that from the beginning from her listings.

Message 22 of 55
latest reply

I refunded her payment but could not  cancel the transaction.  The option was not available.  She has since apologized and paid me again.  I shipped this afternoon.  Hope that is the end of it.  

Message 23 of 55
latest reply

I have explained to the buyer that I can't guarantee delivery by end of week.  (New York deliveries have been real slow lately),  I stopped offering XpressPost as an alternative at their cost.  They never want to pay for it, it just opens another opportunity for them to complain.  There are circumstances where I will go  the extra mile and drive over to Michigan to mail an item but only in an emergency.  I live in Sarnia and I used to mail my items from Port Huron for years.  Then they decided I should use a broker.  The law says I don't have to so when I refused, they started slapping duty on my items.  Now I only ship from there on "special occasions."

Message 24 of 55
latest reply

I go the extra mile for all my customers.  All my items are new or mint condition, everything gets the once over with a polishing cloth before it goes out, I pack well, I use new boxes, bubble wrap and lots of styrofoam.  I ship every day, so most items go  out the same day they were paid and if there is an emergency I will drive over to Michigan to mail it.  But not for people who left the purchase to the last minute and want to hold me responsible for delivery.  If a purchaser is not happy, I will take the item back without asking for a reason and refund their payment in full.

I do this every day, regardless of what happens in my life.  

I live in Sarnia but USA Customs insist that I use a broker.

Message 25 of 55
latest reply

Before the buyer paid again did you try to cancel the transaction using the link I gave in post 13? I'm curious if it still works.

Message 26 of 55
latest reply

Hi,

No, I did not, I missed it.  Just as well, because the buyer has since became more  reasonable and we completed the purchaser.  However, I  would like to Thank You so much for your help, I really appreciate it.  I hope  I can return the favor one day.

Message 27 of 55
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Morden, Manitoba.  The post office closed at 5 pm on Friday and opens on Monday at 9 am.  There is NO mail service between those time at any time.  There is NO even any mail box for us to drop off, expect at the main post office building but I cannot go there anyway as I am mobility limited and rely on someone to come to pick them up and take them to the post office for me.

So anyone expect it should be mailed or dropped off during these times need to face the reality and accept it is part of the life of this local post office and have more patience.

You must be living in the city that you can do that but not in small towns, that is for sure.

Message 28 of 55
latest reply

You don't have to live in a big city. The Shoppers Drug Mart PO in Winkler, Mb is open on Saturdays from 10 to 6:00. So the options are there. No excuses!
Message 29 of 55
latest reply

I'm sorry but I fail to see what that has to do with you telling a buyer that there is no way to mail something out on Saturday or Sunday!

P.s. A quick search shows that 3 of the 4 POs in the downtown Sarnia area are open on Saturday and Sunday!
Message 30 of 55
latest reply

I do see your point. You think people have no lives and have to ship 7 days a week no matter what their situation or where they live, even when they state they ship Mon-Fri and one business day after payment. You think that if she rushed right away to the post office and shipped it on saturday, the buyer in New York would be guaranteed to get it by the end of the week, before the estimated time of delivery stated in the listing? The OP was being honest and telling them she couldn't guarantee it to arrive by the end of the week, which is right. Unless the buyer wanted to upgrade the shipping to a faster option, there could be no guarantee, and if she did ship it on saturday, and the buyer didn't receive it by the date she expected, then there could be problems that come with that. Not sure what method of shipment was used, tracking, no tracking, not sure.

''P.S. The OP is in Ontario. We all saw that from the beginning from her listings.''

Thought you said, ''do we know where the OP lives? No.''

''I bought a camera from New Brunswick (I live in Quebec). The auction ended on a Monday or Tuesday (can't remember) and I asked the seller to get it to me by Purolator. I received it on Thursday, the day before leaving for summer vacation!!! So where's the problem?''

You are comparing it to shipping from New Brunswick to Quebec, no borders to cross there, of course it's quick. She had to ship to New York, from Ontario is it?

Stop looking people up and finding their local post offices so you can tell them that there's no excuses, it's kind of weird.

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
You don't have to live in a big city. The Shoppers Drug Mart PO in Winkler, Mb is open on Saturdays from 10 to 6:00. So the options are there. No excuses!

There's no need to rush to Shopper's (or any postal outlet, rural or urban) before 6 on Saturday or end of day on Sunday.  Parcels are only going to sit in the back until pick-up on Monday morning.

When I receive payment late Friday or over the weekend, I always state in my acknowledgement e-mail that there is no mail pick-up in Canada over the weekend and their parcel will be put in the mail first thing Monday morning.  If I happen to go to the drugstore over the weekend, I'll drop them off but they "ain't going nowhere" until Monday.  It's never been a problem.

Message 32 of 55
latest reply

''That's it. That's your response.''

That's it, that was my response, to my own post correcting my mistake. Wasn't responding to your post, but I can't help but think you're looking for a response.

''If the OP would have communicated with the buyer (maybe she did?) after the fact. Arrangements could have been made!!!''

If you read her posts, you would know she did communicate with the buyer, thus how she found out the buyer was expecting the item to arrive by the end of the week, and expected shipment on the weekend.

''That's a very flexible attitude to have. Good luck attracting repeat customers. You stand your ground on that on. Rigid is always better when you are selling!!!!''

I actually attract many repeat customers, you'd be surprised. I'm doing fine for myself, thank you for your concern.

''It's not irrelevant. If she lives in a metropolitan area, her item would have been picked up on the weekend!!!!''

Are you still insisting Canada Post mail moves on the weekend? Is this why they have business days? Why would Canada Post offices be closed on weekends if mail is moving? Why would their sorting facility be closed, nothing moves when they are closed, unless they have some secret weekend facilities I don't know about. Lawtons and Shoppers Drug Mart are not Canada Post, just because they have a Canada Post inside, doesn't mean they operate the same as Canada Post offices. The workers at Canada Post inside a Lawtons or Shoppers aren't even employed by Canada Post, and do not receive Canada Post wages, they are employed by Lawtons or Shoppers.

''By charging for the appropriate shipping, she could easily get it there by the end of the week. Stop making excuses.''

By charging high shipping costs, you risk losing buyers, not everyone is interested in paying for faster expensive shipping. There should be cheaper and faster shipping available, so they can choose, unless it is an expensive item, then of course tracking is needed.

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

I agree that using a Paypal label would be useful in reassuring the customer.

It would also be useful to manually mark the item as shipped when the item is put in the shiny red PO box.

Postal Outlets are open more hours than Post Offices. Post Offices are closed on weekends and holidays, but postal outlets are usually open the same hours as the business they are located in.

Once the seller has handed the parcel in to a PO (either kind, and a corner box is also the PO), she has done her duty on shipping. Now it's up to Canada Post.

If Canada Post doesn't pick up for 72 hours after the parcel is handed in, it is not the seller's responsibility.

Of course, in this particular case, the bidder was being a dimwit.

Message 34 of 55
latest reply

You seem to have some anger issues. What did I ever do to you. Oh yeah, disagree with you.

"You think people have no lives and have to ship 7 days a week no matter what their situation or where they live, even when they state they ship Mon-Fri and one business day after payment."

Maybe eBay is not for you!!!

"''P.S. The OP is in Ontario. We all saw that from the beginning from her listings.''

Thought you said, ''do we know where the OP lives? No.''"

I never said that I knew exactly what city or town that she resides. She could have been from Toronto or from Dryden, for all I knew. You said that you live in rural Nova Scotia. So go on down to the local library and ask to see a book that they have, called a world atlas. Look for Ontario. Very Big!!!!

"You are comparing it to shipping from New Brunswick to Quebec, no borders to cross there, of course it's quick. She had to ship to New York, from Ontario is it?"

Are you try to tell me that you can overnight anything to the US? Really???

"Stop looking people up and finding their local post offices so you can tell them that there's no excuses, it's kind of weird."

I'm not looking up people's addresses. Only the towns that they live in. The only reason you find this weird, is because I keep finding post offices that are open. When people are saying that they have no POs open in their area. Your lashing out at me is a little weird, if the truth be told.

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

"If you read her posts, you would know she did communicate with the buyer, thus how she found out the buyer was expecting the item to arrive by the end of the week, and expected shipment on the weekend."

I guess she didn't communicate enough. Other than saying that there is no postal service on weekends!!!!

"I actually attract many repeat customers, you'd be surprised. I'm doing fine for myself, thank you for your concern."

No concern, really. And yes, I would be surprised.

"Are you still insisting Canada Post mail moves on the weekend? Is this why they have business days? Why would Canada Post offices be closed on weekends if mail is moving? Why would their sorting facility be closed, nothing moves when they are closed, unless they have some secret weekend facilities I don't know about. Lawtons and Shoppers Drug Mart are not Canada Post, just because they have a Canada Post inside, doesn't mean they operate the same as Canada Post offices. The workers at Canada Post inside a Lawtons or Shoppers aren't even employed by Canada Post, and do not receive Canada Post wages, they are employed by Lawtons or Shoppers."

So you believe that everything shuts down on Friday afternoon and then picks back up on Monday morning???? How would you ever get home delivery on Mondays? There are weekend pickups. The sorting facilities work continuously.

"By charging high shipping costs, you risk losing buyers, not everyone is interested in paying for faster expensive shipping. There should be cheaper and faster shipping available, so they can choose, unless it is an expensive item, then of course tracking is needed."

Do you live in Canada? Have you shipped anything recently. We already have high shipping costs. Again, if you read my post, communication. If the buyer wants it that fast, you give them the option of faster service, but at the higher cost. Please explain where you ship from, that you can get "cheaper and faster"?

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Please remember to keep the discussion friendly. Hostile comments/interpersonal disputes may result in warnings and/or the thread being locked.

Thank you for helping us keep the boards welcoming for everyone!

LizzieR-CA

Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@jt-libra wrote:

@73rhc wrote:

There's no need to rush to Shopper's (or any postal outlet, rural or urban) before 6 on Saturday or end of day on Sunday.  Parcels are only going to sit in the back until pick-up on Monday morning.

When I receive payment late Friday or over the weekend, I always state in my acknowledgement e-mail that there is no mail pick-up in Canada over the weekend and their parcel will be put in the mail first thing Monday morning. 

I think this is the most sensible approach, and it's what I do (because I show next business day shipping in my listings, and my rural P.O. is closed after noon on Saturdays).  

For those who don't live in rural areas, please understand there is a difference between the mail getting to your door (or anyone's door) on Monday -- mail that was sorted and handled at a processing plant that is open over the weekend -- and actually getting a parcel into that stream from a rural location.  Where I live, in terms of getting parcels out and into the stream, Friday after 3:00 p.m. basically equals Monday at 8:30 a.m.

Although having the Paypal label "shipped" icon show up when a seller does the online label is helpful to reassure the buyer, I'm always a bit concerned about a buyer comparing the date of the eBay shipped icon with the date stamped when the P.O. accepts the item (or logs in the tracking#).  So, if I get a sale on a Saturday, I message the buyer to let them know that the "shipped" icon will show on their item as soon as I've paid for the label that day, but that I'll be dropping the parcel off at the P.O. as soon as it re-opens on Monday (next business day).  

By the way, we should remember that eBay's policies don't require sellers to stick to their shipping windows on non-business days.  The fact that some Canada Post sorting facilities carry on 24/7 doesn't alter the fact that a Sunday is not a business day for many postal outlets.  As Mr. Elmwood pointed out, some holidays, like Easter, can mean a 5-day gap.    

From what the OP described, my view is that she did the right thing since she wasn't able to guarantee delivery on the buyer's unreasonable expectations.  That was honest service, in my book.  The buyer didn't pay attention to the OP's listing information, and then imposed a completely impossible and obnoxious delivery demand on the OP after the fact.  

Realistically, what was the seller going to do at that point?  She really had only two choices: send the item anyway, or cancel.  Offering express postal service is rarely useful in such situations since buyers don't want to pay the outrageous cost for Xpresspost delivery (especially to the U.S.) unless the item is worth a substantial amount.  Perhaps the OP could let us know what the approximate value of the item was -- that would be a significant factor. 

By the way, to the OP: I think you should try to follow through with the cancellation to avoid getting a defect for refunding.  

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

The purchaser decided that time no longer mattered, paid me again.  I marked the item "Paid"  and shipped on Monday.  If I still get a bad mark from eBay, I will deal with it when it happens.  Thank You for your help.  I won't forget.

Message 39 of 55
latest reply

@gifts_of_elegance wrote:

The purchaser decided that time no longer mattered, paid me again.  I marked the item "Paid"  and shipped on Monday.  If I still get a bad mark from eBay, I will deal with it when it happens.  Thank You for your help.  I won't forget.

Oh my gosh!!  You must just be shaking your head at this point.  

As an aside, I would hang onto (or print out) any eBay messages between you and the buyer, just in case it does become an issue with this buyer after all.  

Best of luck with this - I hope it turns out OK for you!   Nobody deserves a defect for trying to accommodate fickle buyers.  

Message 40 of 55
latest reply