Time to list in Canadian Dollars.

In the "good old days" eBay.ca has always recommended listing in US$ instead of Cdn$ on the basis that Canadian sellers would have more chance of success listing in US$.

Times are changing.

Today, during the Weekly Board Hour, eBay.ca advises:

"In a nutshell, according to our analysis, all Canadian sellers would either see a positive or neutral impact on their sales if they start listing in CAD. Essentially, our old data that suggested better sales for USD listings has been disproved. The SYI will be modified shortly to reflect this reality, and we've made the changes to the quick listing tool last week.

Additionally, we've started engaging with large Canadian merchants to recommend that they also list in CAD if possible."

Message 1 of 151
latest reply
150 REPLIES 150

@123haughn wrote:
I still see sellers on ebay.ca who are based in Canada listing items in American dollars.
When I list an item on ebay.ca I am only given the option of listing in Canadian dollars. Why are some allowed to do it when others are not?

Those sellers are listing on eBay.com USA site which is in US $. Any seller can list on any eBay site, U.K., France Australia, whateveR, in the currency of that site. You can only use generic shipping options since Canada Post is not supported on any other site other than eBay.ca Canada.

A Canadian seller also gets the same number of free listings on eBay.com USA as on eBay.ca Canada. So there is no cost to list on both sites for a non store or a store for the same amount of free listings is available. 

You can also list on eBay.com USA if you want to. Setting up shipping costs is a bit tricky when you do not know how. Someone will post how to do that.

Message 141 of 151
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"they will just see $120.00."

Actually this is not what the American buyers will see on eBay.com.  They will see $100.00

To test it, I entered "Bluenose NH" in the search box (knowing most listings would be from Canadian sellers) and this is what I see:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5468.m570.l1313.TR7.TRC2.A0.H0.Xbluenose+nh.TRS0&_...

As you can see, the search result list on eBay.com shows the US$ equivalent, not the original listing price in Cdn$

Now, if you click on a listing, you will get both the original price in Cdn$ and the equivalent in US$.

Well, that in a nutshell is my beef with this new stipulation. The equivalent US dollar value is not what I want my buyer to see on a Buy-It-Now listing... I want them to see the round number in US funds, i.e.: $350.US. The conversion amount varies with the exchange rate so the resulting odd number (even if it is in US dollars) could be mistaken for an Auction type listing if you're just surfing through eBay pages...

Skylark-53

Message 142 of 151
latest reply

could be mistaken for an Auction type listing if you're just surfing

Or it could look like something that has been marked down and therefore a bargain at the price.

Or it could look odd enough that the browser might pause and look again.

“There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who, when presented with a glass that is exactly half full, say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty.
The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass! Who's been pinching my beer?”
Terry Pratchett, The Truth

Message 143 of 151
latest reply

I have problem with not being able to sell in $US on .ca. The issue is that I buy a pile of stuff on ebay in $US using my paypal account (which handle $US and $CAD)
I then want to sell things on ebay.ca but in $US. Since I can't I end up putting $CAD and then of course my payment to paypal is in $CAD and that's where oen of my problem with it its.
Say I sell an item on ebay.ca for $1000US equiv of $1290CAD. I then buy parts to ready more kits - parts sold for the total price of $1000US (-ebay and paypal fees) which would have been covered by the prev sale but due to exchange I now need to add more $$ to the ebay account, it's like it's yet another fee on top of everything else.

I know I can list it on .com but I need the shipping calculated so I can't do that.

Message 144 of 151
latest reply

It's been more than a year now since eBay stopped the option of selling in US $ on the Canadian site. If you want to sell in US $, you need to do it on eBay.com

Of course, on the american site, shipping is tricky. Because "domestically" is shipping in the US and you need to use a generic option like "shipping from outside the US" and a flat rate cost. Canada and elsewhere becomes "international".

So if you want to use calculated shipping, you need to list here in C $.

Message 145 of 151
latest reply

Selling in Canadian dollars on eBay Canada does have its advantages.

Much depends on what one sells  and then  whether the primary market is Canada or the US.

If one sells on eBay.com, a seller must understand  what ... must... be done to do so.

One advantage to selling in Canadian dollars as opposed to US dollars on eBay Canada is the reality one does not have to pay Paypal to convert US dollars to Canadian dollars.

...............a saving of about $30 per $1,000 in sales ... whether the $1,000 is Canadian dollars or US dollars

Message 146 of 151
latest reply

Good analysis -- but there's more. ... My guess is that they figured out that most sales are coming from the US; however, they're associates weren't making any money on the conversion/exchange mark-up (typically higher then actual rates by about a few percent) from all these US customers. Therefore US customers would be hit with this extra few percent and certain interests would make more money regardless of sales dropping a bit (which would add up to a good hunk of change). One thing is for sure, US customers are more likely to buy if it's sold in their own currency -- but the question is how much more likely?

Message 147 of 151
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD. From 2015 The problem with zombie threads is that they often are out of date or contain incorrect information
@kh-leslie
Message 148 of 151
latest reply

@femmefan1946

But ya gotta admit, it's nice to "see" Pierre again, even as a rerun 🙂
Message 149 of 151
latest reply

i made the move to canadian $ a few years ago (when ebay suggested that we should) and it hasn't been as bad as I thought it would be.  As an added bonus, it makes my tax bookkeeping much easier...

Message 150 of 151
latest reply

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

-----------------------------------------
Help us keep the community friendly and fun for everyone, check out the Guidelines
Message 151 of 151
latest reply