Tracking Requirements for US Destinations and Top-Seller Status

I was suspicious once before and convinced myself it was my mind playing tricks on me but this time it is certainly not. 

As I sit on the verge of being designated (and then not) a top-rated seller in the USA as well as Canada, I am careful to upload TRACKABLE tracking on all my US-bound parcels. (Please be assured that I understand the difference between Small Packets, Tracked Packets, registered and unregistered.) That being said, for whatever mysterious reason known to either ebay and/or paypal shipping, there are transaction(s) which simply do not register as 'scan recorded' or 'validated' despite that I am staring at the scan as it was recorded right now.

To whom do I speak to get this fixed? 

Has anyone else had to address this with their own account?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Also, the number of my US-based transactions is under-counted, according to my records. 

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

I'd bring this one up on the next Wed. board hour.  This is something Raphael should be able to give you an answer on and deal with if there is something wrong. 

I'm just interested -- are you using tracked services to the U.S. specifically to hold onto a U.S. TRS Plus designation?  As long as you meet the other requirements, you'll still keep US (regular) TRS without having to use tracking.  

I don't know whether you were selling on eBay in 2013, but this change in tracking eligibility happened in August of 2013 if I recall.  Prior to that, we Canadians could qualify for US TRS Plus (got you the nice gold seal on .com) with tracking that was non-validated.  That is, sellers were entering the payment confirmation numbers from Sm/Lt Packet and getting credit for them as tracked.  It was a very welcome perk, but I imagine U.S. sellers must have complained that Canadians were getting for free something they had to pay dearly for (although not as dearly as us obviously).  

The reason I ask is that I gave up on the TRS Plus once these changes came in and quite honestly it's made no discernible difference in my sales levels.  I didn't experience a sudden drop in sales after the fall of 2013, and my items have continued to place just as well on .com searches as they did prior to August, 2013.

I believe the regular US TRS might make a difference, so I've done my best to hang onto that.  Aside from the "gold seal" of TRS Plus however, I'm not convinced that it will create a significant advantage, either in terms of buyer trust, or in terms of a seller's placement, if all the other seller performance factors are high.  To be frank, I'm not sure most buyers will even know what the "gold seal" actually represents. 

At any rate, I decided the advantages of having US TRS Plus simply wouldn't justify the huge cost of sending 90% of my parcels to the U.S. with tracking.  In fact it seemed to me that I might be risking complaints about shipping costs by using tracking, even if I subsidized my buyers' shipping (which of course would mean further losses for me). 

The only times I now use tracking to the U.S. is for items of considerable value, or if I think the buyer may be a bit problematic and I want to know that the item has been safely delivered.  

In a nutshell, I think the benefits of having US TRS Plus are probably over-rated where Canadian sellers are concerned.  However each of us has to decide whether the trade-off is worth it for their own business.  It wasn't for mine.

Message 3 of 27
latest reply

Are you saying that they never show validation even after being delivered or just that it takes a while to show on eBay that they were validated?  It is common for a package not to show validation for days and sometimes longer as there is a delay between the postal system and eBay's system. 

Tracking has to be entered within your stated handling time but validation has to show sometime before the next month's evaluation deadline. If you sold something today, the validation wouldn't have to show on eBay until June 20th.

But if more than 10% of your U.S. transactions never show that they have been validated even though they have been, print out a report so that you know which transactions they are and phone ebay. As far as I know there isn't a particular department to talk to about it but I would probably keep trying for a U.S. rep rather than an outsourced one. You should both be able to go through those transactions one by one and show the rep that the package was validated on the CP site.

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Also, the number of my US-based transactions is under-counted, according to my records. 

I haven't heard too much about that problem but is it possible that some of those were actually sold to overseas ebayers with a U.S. address?   I think that if they were registered somewhere else, they wouldn't count as U.S. transactions even though they were being shipped to the U.S.

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Hello rose-dee and pj. Thanks for your insights. My concern is with Top-Rated in the US, not Top-rated PLUS. Within the past 48 hours, I have gone from 91.3 per cent tracking uploaded and validated to 64 per cent..... the numbers are analyzed daily but go to the current three-month period. This system is fatally flawed.

Tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carriertooltip
64.29%
(9 out of 14 transactions)
(Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%)

Tracking uploaded
100.00%
(14 out of 14 transactions)

racking uploaded within handling time
100.00%

Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
64.29%

Create a report to see which of your transactions did not meet the tracking upload requirement

I had two items of the 14 that shipped to the USA without a trackable service: one was light packet and the other unregistered i.e. Small Packets Airmail. The rest have all been sent Tracked Packet. I should sit at 85 per cent. My meagre reports are 'in progress'.

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

My US data was just checked.. on my Dashboard

For the US it shows...

79.69% of your transactions had tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier

I make sure my tracking is uploaded to eBay... Canada Post starts showing tracking in the evening of the same day my parcels were delivered to a postal outlet at Shoppers Drug Mart

Also .....from my Dashboard... for the US...  the following information was present....

Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%

Canadian sellers don’t need to meet the tracking upload requirement to receive the US Top-rated Seller Final Value Fee discount. 

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

However, I missed the fact that

Tracking was uploaded for 84.38% of parcels mailed to the US.

There is also something about the one-day handling time  that relates to this number  84.38 %

whereas with the other number it  states  within handling time... One assumes that this is the handling time /... 3 days... on my listings.

----------------------------------------------------

I suspect to some degree that the difference between USPS holidays and Canada Post holidays might influence this percentage..

Victoria Day is a Canada Post holiday  that may not be recognized on eBay.com  where USPS is the standard

eBay.com might  count Victoria Day.. Monday ....as a business day....

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

I know. While I appreciate the discount, it's the Top-Rated designation on ebay.com that I am wanting. Maybe it makes a difference in search results and maybe it doesn't but it lends an air of 'officialness' to a seller when I see it as a buyer. Plus, I find it highly irritating that I am paying for tracking on Small Packets (Tracked Packets USA) but that it's not registering with ebay that it's been done that way. I do all my shipping through paypal. The link from my Sales Records to Paypal has had 'site credibility' issues for weeks now and the certificate is expired. I wonder if this is the reason. I've been going directly to paypal to print my labels and the tracking numbers are always apparent on Paid and Shipped but maybe that's the reason. I'm still waiting on my 'Reports' to see which ones claim not to have been validated. In the past, I seem to recall that validated meant 'received' and not necessarily 'delivered' but I might be mistaken. I guess I'll have to bring it up at the next Board Hour. Midday midweek, however, is just the worst for me. I might have ten seconds to compose a message at noon on a Wednesday but then I usually have to leave for several hours and follow-up is not ideal. 

I was stung on tracking uploaded like that before because I think ebay.ca once forgot that Canada Post doesn't run on Easter Monday. 

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hello rose-dee and pj. Thanks for your insights. My concern is with Top-Rated in the US, not Top-rated PLUS. Within the past 48 hours, I have gone from 91.3 per cent tracking uploaded and validated to 64 per cent..... the numbers are analyzed daily but go to the current three-month period. This system is fatally flawed.

Tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carriertooltip
64.29%
(Top Rated Sellers must have at least 90.00%)

Tracking uploaded
100.00%

racking uploaded within handling time
100.00%

Tracking uploaded and validated by carrier
64.29%

Create a report to see which of your transactions did not meet the tracking upload requirement

I had two items of the 14 that shipped to the USA without a trackable service: one was light packet and the other unregistered i.e. Small Packets Airmail. The rest have all been sent Tracked Packet. I should sit at 85 per cent. My meagre reports are 'in progress'.

From the 20th of the month to the end of the month the tracking stats are "live". That means if you sell something yesterday it's going to show that you haven't uploaded tracking. If you sold something 4 days ago and it hasn't yet been shipped it's going to show that you haven't uploaded tracking. If you sold something 4 days ago and have uploaded tracking it will show as not yet verified because there hasn't been enough time for eBay to check the status.

You will always see this wobbling over the last 10 days of the month because the current month will be used for next months evaluation. After the 1st the wobble goes away because no new sales are being added as they won't come into play until NEXT months evaluation.

Have a look at the number in "Trending Data" that may help you to make sense of it.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

Hi 'mj' -- maybe I wasn't being clear, or perhaps I've misunderstood what benefits you're concerned about.  

If your concern is with the (regular) US Top-Rated status, tracking is irrelevant (assuming you're registered on the Canadian site of course).  You will get the 20% discount regardless, provided you meet the other TRS requirements (# of transactions, dollar value, defect level, etc.).  

If your concern is to have the "badge" or "seal" shown on the U.S. site that Top Rated Plus sellers get (for whatever it might be worth, who really knows?), then you do need to meet the same tracking requirements as your U.S. counterparts.  There are probably some other minor perks as well, but in my view they don't justify using expensive tracking 90% of the time to get them. 

I think the tracking percentages are shown to Canadians to let them know where they stand if they do want to meet the more onerous US TRS Plus qualifications.  As I said, I'm really not convinced the exorbitant cost of tracked shipping on 90% of US-bound parcels justifies the pretty gold "seal", but it's possible it may have some effect on placement.  I haven't heard anything specific on that subject though.  

Here's a screen shot of my current status vis-a-vis tracking.  I have US TRS, but not TRS Plus.  Note the text circled in red with respect to Canadian sellers.

I just happen to have had more than the usual number of tracked parcels in the last couple of months, so I'm up to about 39%, but normally it's around 10%.  

I don't care to pay for tracking in order to get a distinction on the .com site that may or may not have an effect on my sales.  EBay hasn't given any assurances on that point, and until that happens, I'll continue to pass on paying for tracking.  If anybody else can provide a link to such assurances, I'd be interested to see it. 

The (regular) US TRS is different though -- as I said, the 20% discount is important to me, and I think it may help in placement on .com.  Using tracking merely in order to get the TRS Plus gold seal on .com isn't worth it, in my estimation.  

ScreenShot-May23.jpg

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

I think there may be a lag time involved, as I often notice my transaction count hasn't caught up to the current total.  Perhaps they update the numbers on a regular schedule, rather than every day.  

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

While I appreciate the discount, it's the Top-Rated designation on ebay.com that I am wanting. Maybe it makes a difference in search results and maybe it doesn't but it lends an air of 'officialness' to a seller when I see it as a buyer.  

I understand what you're saying, but I think we Canadian sellers have to balance the appearance of the "seal of approval" against the downsides of tracking.  

It's just my own view, but I think you may be wasting a lot of money (and passing expensive unnecessary shipping on to your buyers, perhaps risking defects for neutral/negative FB) in order to get something of unsubstantiated value.  

The day eBay assures me (backed up by some numbers, SVP) that that little gold seal will increase my U.S. sales by 20% or more, I'll go back to using tracking. Woman Very Happy

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

My concern is with Top-Rated in the US, not Top-rated PLUS

Then why are you concerned about validation or tracking at all? You only need to have validated tracking for 90% of your U.S. transactions if you want to have the TRSplus designation. As mentioned earlier, Canadians don't need to have that validation in order to be a TRS in the U.S. Actually, are you sure that you are not already considered to have U.S. TRS? What does your dashboard say? If you don't have it, it should tell you why.

Also, you mentioned that as a buyer you like to see that designation. But buyers have no idea if a seller is TRS on .com. Only TRS plus have the badge. That changed when the TRSplus designation started.

Within the past 48 hours, I have gone from 91.3 per cent tracking uploaded and validated to 64 per cent..... the numbers are analyzed daily but go to the current three-month period. This system is fatally flawed.

The numbers may change daily but the day to day percentage does not matter at all.

The only time that number matters is when TRS is evaluated...on the 20th. So if you wanted to have the TRSplus designation, at least 90% of the packages that you send by May 31 need to be validated by June 20th.  

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I misspoke. I was getting ebay.co.uk and ebay.com and ebay.ca confused with Premium Service and Top Rated Plus and Top Rated. I am clear now, thank you. It's the Top-Rated Plus badge I seek on ebay.com and this 'lag' is most likely to blame. At this time last weekend, I had hit 97 of 100 transactions for US Customers with 91.3 per cent tracking validated and today I see it has dropped to 63 or 64 per cent validated and merely 84 transactions. The last three items which went to the USA via Tracked Packet are not being reflected in the counts. They sold within the past two days so I am annoyed. I would have met the 100 mark and exceeded the 90 per cent validated requirement and had the US Top Rated Plus seal I have been working toward. If only for what... a day? 

The past 90 days have been obscenely slow for sales for me. I was hoping the gain of a seal on my listing for .com customers might help change that. I face a great deal of competition south of the border and most of those competitors are Top Rated Plus.  

I usually pay the additional $5 to $8 in postage to upgrade the buyer from Small Packet to Tracked Packet out of my own pocket. Otherwise, my postage is free or set to exact cost within a penny or two below. Virtually the only times I have gotten low marks for shipping costs, it has been from buyer(s) who picked the least expensive non-tracked postage option (which I have to stress has no handling fee on it at all) and still left a two- or three-star for it.Those always feel like a kick in the pants.  

Message 15 of 27
latest reply

@recped wrote:

From the 20th of the month to the end of the month the tracking stats are "live". That means if you sell something yesterday it's going to show that you haven't uploaded tracking. If you sold something 4 days ago and it hasn't yet been shipped it's going to show that you haven't uploaded tracking. If you sold something 4 days ago and have uploaded tracking it will show as not yet verified because there hasn't been enough time for eBay to check the status.

You will always see this wobbling over the last 10 days of the month because the current month will be used for next months evaluation. After the 1st the wobble goes away because no new sales are being added as they won't come into play until NEXT months evaluation.

Have a look at the number in "Trending Data" that may help you to make sense of it.

Thank you. It does explain the problem I'm looking at but it doesn't quite address the problem this type of evaluation system has created. The 'trending' data tells me that merely one of my tracking numbers has been validated when I know that four have been. I suppose then that my complaint is that if these items had sold to their USA customers on May 18 instead of May 21, I'd be looking at a Top-Rated Plus Seal on ebay.com right now. On May 19, I had three transactions left to meet the 100 requirement and had passed the 90 per cent validated tracking requirement and then the evaluation period changed. It's daily for one thing, monthly for another, and then quarterly for the third. That's kind of silly. Who evaluates this way? It's like comparing apples to oranges and then throwing a flaming chainsaw into the juggling act. 

Message 16 of 27
latest reply

rose-dee wrote:

I don't care to pay for tracking in order to get a distinction on the .com site that may or may not have an effect on my sales.  EBay hasn't given any assurances on that point, and until that happens, I'll continue to pass on paying for tracking.  If anybody else can provide a link to such assurances, I'd be interested to see it. 

-----

Hi rose-dee,

For me, tracking isn't only about the Top-Rated Plus issue. Because I sell high-demand items and/or toys that have a fluctuating value, I encounter the occasional issue of, um, how shall I put it.... buyer's remorse is too kind a term. Maybe children were crying for it and the parent caved but felt angry so pretended it never arrived. It happens, although I grant you very rarely. I suspect foul play when a buyer says something like 'it hasn't come to my door' and still believes that's only a white lie because their untraceable parcel is waiting at the post office for them to pick it up. (And then leaves feedback on at 11:59 pm on Day 59 saying 'Great deal ha hahaha' after I sent them their refund a month prior. I'm exaggerating about the 'haha' part only.) At Christmas, for example, I had an INR case opened when tracking showed it had been delivered internationally at record speed earlier in the week. Despite the fact that I could demonstrate the item was in fact delivered, and called Customer Service within minutes to seek advice, there was still a defect left for me that took another 45 minutes on the phone a week later to eliminate. 

I've no doubt you serve a different customer than me. I don't think anyone bothers to look at anything on my listings other than the pictures and maybe the Top-Rated Badge. (Or in the case of ebay.com, the spot where the Top Rated plus badge should be.) 

I hate to be the person who comes to the game and then complains about the rules but I am ever so disappointed that my validated tracking dropped to 64 per cent when it had been above 91 at the exact moment I finally reached the 100 mark for annual transactions to the USA. This no-man's land between the 20th of the month and quarterly evaluation periods is silly. 

Message 17 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@recped wrote:

Thank you. It does explain the problem I'm looking at but it doesn't quite address the problem this type of evaluation system has created. The 'trending' data tells me that merely one of my tracking numbers has been validated when I know that four have been. I suppose then that my complaint is that if these items had sold to their USA customers on May 18 instead of May 21, I'd be looking at a Top-Rated Plus Seal on ebay.com right now. On May 19, I had three transactions left to meet the 100 requirement and had passed the 90 per cent validated tracking requirement and then the evaluation period changed. It's daily for one thing, monthly for another, and then quarterly for the third. That's kind of silly. Who evaluates this way? It's like comparing apples to oranges and then throwing a flaming chainsaw into the juggling act. 

Nope you still not getting it!!

How do you "know" they have been validated? Just because USPS gave it a scan doesn't mean eBay has gotten around to checking to confirm. I normally see 3 - 5 days between a scan and when eBay validates, sometimes it takes longer but it doesn't matter one bit.

As for ANYTHING in May....it doesn't count until June 20th. Your evaluation that was done on May 20th covered the period Feb 1 to April 30, any sales in May don't need to be validated until your June evaluation which covers March, April & May sales.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

@recped wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

@recped wrote:

Nope you still not getting it!!

How do you "know" they have been validated? Just because USPS gave it a scan doesn't mean eBay has gotten around to checking to confirm. I normally see 3 - 5 days between a scan and when eBay validates, sometimes it takes longer but it doesn't matter one bit.

As for ANYTHING in May....it doesn't count until June 20th. Your evaluation that was done on May 20th covered the period Feb 1 to April 30, any sales in May don't need to be validated until your June evaluation which covers March, April & May sales.

There should be NO delay in the amount of time it takes for tracking to be 'validated'. Once the item has been 'received by the post office' that information that should be conveyed in real-time to ebay the purposes of its seller evaluations. This isn't 1986. Where lays the necessity of having to wait three to five days (or longer) for ebay to validate it? 

My issue is not with the evaluation periods. I have always known the previous three months dictate the following month's designated level. I'm saying that I think it is unnecessarily confusing that the data is being mined from unequal and incongruent time periods. A dot com Top-Rated Plus seller must have:

(a) at least US $1,000.00 in sales the past 12 months and right now those 12 months are Jun 01, 2014 - May 31, 2015 but 

(b) at least 90.00% tracking uploaded within handling time and validated by carrier however this is only mined from the previous quarter which is three months from Mar 01, 2015 - May 31, 2015 

That is the (a) apple and (b) orange. The flaming chainsaw is the delay in 'validating' tracking. 

I am disappointed that I stood at more than 91 per cent 'validated' tracking and 97 of 100 transactions on the 19th of May at which point I sold exactly three tracked items to US buyers on the 21st and then instead of finally gaining the Top-Rated Plus designation, I dropped to a lower number in standing on both requirements. Yet it seems like you've just told me that doesn't 'count' and I am unclear as to what part you mean doesn't matter. It undermines my faith in the program when I see things done in a way that don't make sense to me. I am not an unintelligent person; if it lacks logic to me then there must be others for whom it is also lost. If the criteria and its associated unequal evaluation periods and/or delays make sense to ebay, they could be better explained on the Seller's Dashboard. The same could be said for the delay in 'validating' tracking. 

Message 19 of 27
latest reply

@mjwl2006 wrote:

For me, tracking isn't only about the Top-Rated Plus issue. Because I sell high-demand items and/or toys that have a fluctuating value, I encounter the occasional issue of, um, how shall I put it.... buyer's remorse is too kind a term. 

I understand your concerns, I do.  You're selling to a more volatile market than many, but at least it's not teenage DVD gaming paraphernalia. 

Let me play devil's advocate and posit an alternate possible business model.  If you know you have a lot of U.S. competition on similar items, to reverse the usual maxim, why not beat them on price and shipping rather than trying to join them by displaying a badge of dubious proven value?

Use those $8 or $9 per item that you're now spending on upgrading to tracked shipping on every sale as a means of offering free shipping on everything.  Use Light/Small Packet on all but the most "problematic" sales, message every purchaser with a personal thank-you note and their expected date of delivery (you probably already do this), and maybe even throw in something cute but inexpensive as a surprise free gift with every purchase.  Ladybug sticky notes, cute little fridge magnets, etc. etc., there must be thousands of such items that would do. 

Actually, it would probably require less than $8 or $9 per item to do this effectively.  What I'm saying is that by offering free shipping I expect you'd get better placement in searches than with any TRS Plus seal, far happier customers, and you'll likely boost sales volume significantly.  Tout the free shipping everywhere possible, and prominently on your listings -- I mean within the title, and right up top in the description. 

Yes, you may currently be protecting yourself against an occasional INR (I say "may" because it's by no means certain) by using tracked shipping across the board, but my view is that you're chasing an expensive shadow (the TRS Plus seal) that has no proven record of making a difference.  

Consider that by selling a ca. $20 item with $12 or $15 shipping, you may already be creating a somewhat grudging customer who is more likely to complain about delayed delivery via an INR (whether fraudulent or legitimate) because they feel they've paid for the gold standard in shipping, than someone who has received completely free shipping.  True, you may get the occasional INR anyway, but a higher sales volume and your top-notch, personalized service would help to protect you against too many resulting defects. 

In the end, it's a choice between trying to protect oneself against all risk, or accepting a low level of risk (inherent in every business) in exchange for better sales.  My guess is that if you removed all shipping charges from your items, you'd beat out a whole lot of your U.S. competitors. 

I know eBay doesn't make these decision easy for any of us, and there is always the defect monster hanging over our heads.  Selling categories make a difference too.  As do Canada Post rates.  However, I think sales volume trumps a lot of those problems, if you can manage it.  (And you'd save yourself a lot of grief and concern over your monthly tracking percentages).  

All just IMHO and in an effort to offer some help. Woman Wink

Message 20 of 27
latest reply