Tracking Requirements for US Destinations and Top-Seller Status

I was suspicious once before and convinced myself it was my mind playing tricks on me but this time it is certainly not. 

As I sit on the verge of being designated (and then not) a top-rated seller in the USA as well as Canada, I am careful to upload TRACKABLE tracking on all my US-bound parcels. (Please be assured that I understand the difference between Small Packets, Tracked Packets, registered and unregistered.) That being said, for whatever mysterious reason known to either ebay and/or paypal shipping, there are transaction(s) which simply do not register as 'scan recorded' or 'validated' despite that I am staring at the scan as it was recorded right now.

To whom do I speak to get this fixed? 

Has anyone else had to address this with their own account?

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

I am disappointed that I stood at more than 91 per cent 'validated' tracking and 97 of 100 transactions on the 19th of May at which point I sold exactly three tracked items to US buyers on the 21st and then instead of finally gaining the Top-Rated Plus designation, I dropped to a lower number in standing on both requirements. Yet it seems like you've just told me that doesn't 'count' and I am unclear as to what part you mean doesn't matter. It undermines my faith in the program when I see things done in a way that don't make sense to me. I am not an unintelligent person; if it lacks logic to me then there must be others for whom it is also lost. If the criteria and its associated unequal evaluation periods and/or delays make sense to ebay, they could be better explained on the Seller's Dashboard. The same could be said for the delay in 'validating' tracking. 

If your validated transactions had been at 100% on May 20th, you would still not be a top rated seller because ebay did not look at your May validations. On evaluation day they would have looked at your validated tracking up to and including April 30th. Anything you sold in May doesn't need to be validated until June 20th. 

The way they have things set up is confusing but those day to day numbers do not matter.  Your TRSplus doesn't come and go day by day, you are evaluated on the 20th and if you meet the criteria you receive the designation and keep it until the next evaluation. Actually, I think that there may a month delay in receiving the badge but recped would know more about that.

Message 21 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If your validated transactions had been at 100% on May 20th, you would still not be a top rated seller because ebay did not look at your May validations. On evaluation day they would have looked at your validated tracking up to and including April 30th. Anything you sold in May doesn't need to be validated until June 20th. 

The way they have things set up is confusing but those day to day numbers do not matter.  Your TRSplus doesn't come and go day by day, you are evaluated on the 20th and if you meet the criteria you receive the designation and keep it until the next evaluation. Actually, I think that there may a month delay in receiving the badge but recped would know more about that.

Finally, I see. Thank you pj and rose-dee again for your patience and advice. I will go back to banging my head against the brick wall. Given that ebay was certain to 'orange-flag' my straddling the 90 per cent validated tracking the precise moment it hit 90 per cent, I had assumed there was some timeliness to that designation. Now I see that none of it really matters. I will keep plodding along.

My goal is not necessarily to take the USA by storm; I want that seal because I'm certain more than half of my CANADIAN buyers are unaware about the differences between ebay.ca and ebay.com and as such I want to appear as a top-rated seller on both sites regardless. Rose-dee, I do have strong feelings about tracking, however. I don't think Canada Post has any right to charge twice or three times the price for it but there isn't an actual online retailer out there that I can think of that just tosses stuff uninsured and untraced in the mail anymore.

Certainly, I was offended the last time I placed an order for $200 in gift cards (at Christmas two years ago) and Chapters just tossed them into domestic lettermail. The envelope was not traced; it was late, missed Christmas, and I was quite furious. I felt as if they hadn't treated my hard-earned money seriously. With international parcels, the problem compounds in that you don't know what might happen at the border with delays or the assessment of tariffs. While I feel for any buyer that is taken unaware by duty, I mention the possibility in each listing and offer a reminder in the order update message sent on shipment and on the thank-you packing slip.

I stopped sending personalized messages to the buyer after shipment through ebay messages awhile ago; it seemed buyers found them annoying and it was reducing my DSRs in that area. It's bad enough in my opinion that Canada Post has hijacked their emails addresses and sends notifications that say it's at my request they are receiving three messages per shipment of updates. One would suffice. As it stands with each order, a buyer gets three messages (minimum) from ebay plus one from paypal and three more from Canada Post. Ugh. 

Thank you again for all your thoughts, advice and insights. To everyone who replied. (Even those of you who clearly realized I was dense from the onset.) 

Message 22 of 27
latest reply

Yes, you've got it!  

The TRS evaluation is retroactive, beginning with the end of the previous month and going back 3 months (as 'pj' and 'recped' pointed out), so your current month's (May, in this instance) figures are irrelevant until the time of the next evaluation (20th of June).  Then May's figures are bundled in with April and March.  This means that if you happen to have a low month, you've still got time to catch up before the next evaluation.  It's really not a bad system. 

"My goal is not necessarily to take the USA by storm; I want that seal because I'm certain more than half of my CANADIAN buyers are unaware about the differences between ebay.ca and ebay.com and as such I want to appear as a top-rated seller on both sites regardless."

I still do think you're chasing a distinction of dubious value, and paying dearly for it.  In fact, you may be throwing away a good portion of your profits and losing potential customers besides (due to shipping costs that look high in comparison to other sellers' shipping).  My view is that a potential buyer is going to be far more concerned about the posted shipping cost than about the TRS Plus seal (or lack thereof).  

I took a hard look at this problem when the U.S. TRS Plus was introduced, and here's how I evaluated it as a purely business equation: Is the tracking I'd have to pay on 90% of my U.S. parcels likely to get me an equivalent or better return in sales?  My response was a definite no.  If I have to pay an extra ca. $10 on every parcel I send to the U.S. in one year, I'll have spent an additional $1300 to $1500 per year.  Over 5 years, I estimate I've saved at least $6,500, and I've yet to have an INR (fingers still crossed).  Woman Very Happy

Over all that time, I've never had a Light/Small Packet go astray, and the overwhelming majority are delivered within the time estimated by Canada Post.  I also started offering free shipping on selected items, and the cost of that to me has been far less than the cost of all those CYA tracked parcels would have been.  And free shipping makes for happy buyers, who are less likely to grumble about slow delivery -- the "gift horse" principle. 

I know the subject of tracking is hotly debated on these boards, and I sometimes think all sellers may feel obliged to use it at some point when it becomes the norm with the majority of big retailers on eBay.  However, I do believe tracking is over-rated and misunderstood by many sellers as providing them with iron-clad protection.  At the moment at least we still have a choice that entails very little risk.  

I think of it this way: tracking does nothing to speed delivery, nor does it guarantee an INR cannot be filed.  It provides some assurance to the seller that an item is delivered, and when, but it doesn't benefit the buyer, and many buyers resent having to pay for it.  So some sellers (like me and you) feel obliged to "subsidize" when using tracking.  Still, I only use it selectively and strategically (for example, for rather expensive items in the weeks prior to Christmas) -- everything else goes by Light or Small Packet.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing something if it's been proven to work in your interest, but I think eBay wants sellers to look at the US TRS Plus from an emotional viewpoint, i.e. as some sort of badge of honour that must be obtained -- or else. Yet eBay hasn't provided any proof (that I know of) that the seal will make any difference in sales, placement, or otherwise.  

I suspect most buyers couldn't care less -- they're looking for the best item at the best price.  They may check a seller's FB history and percentages to see that they're reputable, but does a Canadian buyer really bypass an item if a Canadian seller doesn't show that seal on .com?  I don't when I'm buying.  Again, to play devil's advocate, this may be something you hope to be true, but are there any data from eBay (or your buyers) to justify that belief and the associated cost of required tracking for 90% of your shipments to the U.S.?  

Actually I think we Canadian sellers already have an advantage on .com if a buyer sees that we're in the same country (I've noticed seller location is shown on search results on .com, even without filtering for location).  Wouldn't you rather buy from a Canadian, especially if price/shipping were equal to or better than US sellers, with or without a TRS seal?  I do a fair amount of buying on .com, and I always look for Canadian sellers first. 

You could try a month-long experiment with free shipping (even if you roll some of the cost to you into your item prices) and see if that boosts your sales.  Even a few extra sales will cover all the shipping costs.  With higher volume, you can absorb the very occasional defect, but your buyers may be happier anyway.  Just something to consider. 

By the way, one positive point: DSRs for shipping cost no longer count toward your seller evaluation (I think this was introduced one of the 2014 Seller Updates, or possibly fall of 2013), so when you mention your concern about low DSRs for shipping costs, that's no longer a worry.  Still, this doesn't prevent buyers who feel they've overpaid for shipping from leaving neutral or negative FB, which will rack up a defect.  

Best of luck to you, whatever you decide!

Message 23 of 27
latest reply

Good advice, rose-dee, as always. I will think on that, thank you.

As I stare at my US standing, however, I still see one transaction that claims to not be 'validated'. It was part of an order that came through ebay.com and I had to refund postage paid and combine both items together into one parcel. Therefore, the label was not specifically printed for it and tracking number (which shows it was delivered along with its travelling companion) added manually via paypal; it was delivered last week. Its partner in the package, for whom the label was printed, was also delivered and VALIDATED several days ago.

This is the kind of bug to monitor. I saw it months ago and then convinced myself otherwise. Now, I'll have to comb through a hundred US-destined listings and their associated tracking numbers to see how many 'validated' transactions were lost like this. It doesn't make much sense to me that any should be missing. A validated tracked service is a validated tracked service, regardless of the method under which the tracking number was generated or applied to the item. So..... 

Is the problem that these two items combined into one order (as a result of the ebay.com shopping cart malfunction) are supposed to be counted as only ONE validated transaction since they both went to the same buyer? And the second validated item with the same validated tracking number gets punted incorrectly into 'not validated' and therefore skews the count? 

Does anyone on the thread have experience with that specific scenario? 

Thanks again.

Message 24 of 27
latest reply

If they went to the same buyer and the tracking number is entered on both transactions, they should both show as validated.

You said that you entered the tracking number on one of the items in Paypal. Did you check to see if it transferred over to ebay? I wonder if that would make a difference.

Message 25 of 27
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

If they went to the same buyer and the tracking number is entered on both transactions, they should both show as validated.

You said that you entered the tracking number on one of the items in Paypal. Did you check to see if it transferred over to ebay? I wonder if that would make a difference.

Yes, it has a tracking number which automatically carried over like the other but here's the thing (and it has been happening since tracked packet was introduced) one of the two items goes to Canada Post as the website and the other goes directly to USPS. This is as a result of clicking on each of the same tracking number associated with the same order. The one that doesn't validate goes to directly to USPS. The one that does validate has the flawed service type information that has always appeared in the Sales Record when a Paypal Shipping label for Canada Post Tracked Packet is created, that is it says:

Canada Post Tracked Packet - USA  

Tracking # LM029951501CA
Shipping label printed on 22-May-15
Canada Post Expedited Flat Rate Box USA
Cost: C $16.94

While the one that won't validate says merely:

Canada Post Tracked Packet - USA  

Tracking # LM029951501CA
USPS

The last time I got my knickers all twisted about tracking numbers not validating, I remember some funny business about having to combine orders too. Unfortunately, it will take some digging to pull this information together for the tech people. Plus, I'll wait another week or so to make sure it isn't going to clear on its own. 

Message 26 of 27
latest reply

Good luck and don't get those knickers too twisted!

Message 27 of 27
latest reply