Tracking info source error

One other thing I've noticed... when shipping from Canada we use Canada Post and thus enter the tracking number in eBay form CPC but this is not reflected in the eBay listing. When I go to the listing to check the tracking number it always comes up with USPS and of course it can't find the CPC tracking thus more buyer complaints re bogus tracking. 

Now I know the USA believes they are the centre of the universe but you'd think eBay could manage to figure out if the tracking was issued in CPC then they could pull up the CPC web site rather than USPS. huh..??

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

make sure you are logged into .ca and not .com

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

That's very odd as it always brings up Canada Post when I check tracking from sales manager or from a listing.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

All of my items for sale are listed on eBay.ca

Tracking is entered in relation to each item under My eBay.

If the parcel is Expedited Canada  and I click the Tracking associated with a sale... I get tracking showing on Canada Post.

-----------------------------------

Now if the parcel is going to the US... Expedited or Xpresspost,  ... When I click on tracking for a sale in  My eBay  Tracking shows from the USPS website.

This is most likely occurring because Expedited USA and Xpresspost USA  were linked to USPS options... in August a few years back.

Canada Post Expedited Parcel USA is linked to USPS Priority Mail

Canada Post  Xpresspost USA  is linked with USPS Priority Mail Express International 

If you take the Tracking number for a Parcel going to the US you can enter that number on the Canada Post website  and get the same tracking information from Canada Post. Canada Post.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

What I have described is how Canada Post and USPS are linked in relation to what is viewed as tracking under My eBay

This is the reality on eBay...  

It does not matter where the tracking is viewed whether Canada Post website , for parcels to Canadian destinations  

or on USPS website if the parcel is going to the US.

The tracking is correct.....

This does give us an indication of how closely Canada Post and USPS are linked for some shipping options....

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Now if the parcel is going to the US... Expedited or Xpresspost,  ... When I click on tracking for a sale in  My eBay  Tracking shows from the USPS website.

I rarely use expedited USA but I did send one that way in August and if I click on the tracking number the Canada Post site comes up.  It also comes up that way for all of my Tracked Packet packages. These are items that were listed on .com.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

To each his (or her) own.

Tracking is what it is... and it is the same on the Canada Post website and on the USPS website for the same parcel

or... Did I trigger something at some time in the past?

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

It was about two years ago (January 2013 I believe)  that I found that I could not upload tracking in my Sold List in My eBay on eBay.ca

But ... I could do it in My eBay on eBay.com

The computer remembers  and continues to show tracking on USPS for parcels going to the US....perhaps,  because of the link between Canada Post and USPS for certain options...

and for my shipping to the US, tracking shows up as a USPS option....on the USPS website....

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Checked the same tracking number on Canada Post. and on USPS websites

.. the Canada Post shipping option is indicated  on the Canada Post website while on USPS website the linked USPS shipping option is indicated

Same information on both websites for the same parcel

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

What I have described is how Canada Post and USPS are linked in relation to what is viewed as tracking under My eBay

This is the reality on eBay...  

It does not matter where the tracking is viewed whether Canada Post website , for parcels to Canadian destinations  

or on USPS website if the parcel is going to the US.

The tracking is correct.....

This does give us an indication of how closely Canada Post and USPS are linked for some shipping options....

Not true.. I'm logged on to eBay.ca. I see my sale and when I click on the tracking I entered it displays USPS and no data found. It always does this. When the item crosses the border into the USA the USPS will then display the tracking but not before. I've always had it work this way. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

For your information, it DOES HAPPEN on eBay.ca!!  It happened to me a few times already this month. 

It is eBay's end that is causing those problems!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

@cumos55 wrote:

To each his (or her) own.

Tracking is what it is... and it is the same on the Canada Post website and on the USPS website for the same parcel

or... Did I trigger something at some time in the past?

I would have thought that it would be standardized but it seems that it isn't.

Actually, tracking is not the same on both sites. I've compared them at various times and often one site will have more info than the other.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

The most critical aspects of tracking are ---

--- To view the progress of a parcel as it travels though the Postal System(s)

--- To view when the parcel was delivered 

It does not matter  whether it is viewed on the Canada Post website  or the USPS website.

The USPS site does provide some interesting commentary as a supplement to the various points where the parcel is tracked. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply