UPC codes not registering product when I know it exists.

This is starting to make me mad.  Ebay wants us to use UPC codes but yet the whole UPC codes at least for CD's is a mess.  

I am trying to list a Linda Ronstadt CD.  I enter in the UPC code and it basically says there isn't one.  I search by title and it gives me ones that were issued in 2011.  Mine wasn't.  I check other listings for the same CD and they have listed theirs with the same UPC as mine and I get zip. (hope that makes sense)  So now I have got to spend time trying to figure it out.

I don't want to bring this up to Raphael as I find that Wed chat to be a waste of time.  There is nothing ever fixed or resolved from it.  All that will happen is he will say I will bring it to someones attention. 

linda upc.jpglinda upc none.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The same sort of thing happens a lot with video games and DVDs (at least with the ones I've made listings for). There will often be a different UPC for the Canadian releases and for the US releases, even though they will be identical except for the UPC. Most of the time only the US release UPC is in the system, which I only find when the UPC on my copy shows no results and I have to search by title instead.

Edit: And of course, that's not to mention all the incorrect information that can plague the catalogue.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Because it is a CD that I get a few of, I went to Turbo Lister and relisted it from there.  Although the UPC was there a few months ago, it isn't now when I relisted.  It dropped all the item details so I will have to put them in manually.  I don't know who they have working there but they definitely need to make some staffing changes. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Beware about misrepresenting a music title. A Canadian release is not the same as a release from another country. If a collector ends up with a wrong version you could get a neg and loose your money and shipping cost. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Hi thanks for the advice but if you take a look at my listings you will see I am very clear on where the CD was made, the title, who made it and what year, who distributed it, ie Columbia House, etc. I am a collector myself and ebay info is many times incorrect, I put the correct CD info down according to the actual physical CD, plus take pictures of the actual CD front booklet and back liner page.   I also check out discogs to verify info.  I think that I put down way more correct information than other CD sellers do and even what ebay has.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

The UPC codes for cds are worse than messed up.  I'm trying to list a cd of "Kim Mitchell - Rockland".  It makes no difference if I enter the UPC  code or title, it says there is nothing in the catalogue.  Yet when I search other peoples listings many do have ebays info of the cd!  I can't figure out how others are getting the catalogue info, yet I can't seem to access it.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply