Union Files Notice of Strike Action (Aug 25th afternoon)

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/canada-post-union-cupw-strike-mandate-1.3735203

The biggest union at Canada Post says it has filed a 72-hour notice of job action, but is willing to withdraw it if the Crown corporation agrees to an extension on negotiations.

The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has a strike mandate that is set to expire at midnight eastern time on Thursday.

The union says that in the notice it sent to management it listed its anticipated job actions but has stopped short of members walking off the job.

Message 1 of 96
latest reply
95 REPLIES 95

I am very sorry to hear about your misfortunes and failing health.  Sometimes we need to sit back and relax or it will kill us.  Take care of your health first, then do the best you can.  Above all, do not worry yourself.  If the postal workers go on strike, we will just have to ship with UPS.  It just might work out better for your more expensive items.  I don't like to use them but I will if there is nothing else.

Message 81 of 96
latest reply

Midnight was five hours ago, and I can't find any news on whether a settlement was reached. Does anyone know?
Message 82 of 96
latest reply

Good morning i had search all the web cant find updates.Only one that they will have rotating strike by provinces.One at the time .Lets see how lucky we will be 

Message 83 of 96
latest reply

Yes, let's hope no news is good news.

Thanks.
Message 84 of 96
latest reply

So... another 24 hours of uncertainty. They must be close to reaching an agreement.
Message 86 of 96
latest reply

Im just wondering when they mess up and loose money from where they will get this money for all benefits that they asking for.
Message 87 of 96
latest reply

Probably higher postage rates.
Message 88 of 96
latest reply

If i need to pay higher postage rate i will choose another career .
Message 89 of 96
latest reply

The couriers often cost more, and they offer nothing equivalent to a domestic lettermail rate.

It cost me $1.89 in postage to mail a Lego minifigure across Canada via CPC. With a courier, that same service is a $35 parcel.
Message 90 of 96
latest reply

Unless you are a high-volume shipper garnering special rates as part of a special contract, couriers are often cost-prohibitive. Unless I'm an emergency. Like a postal strike.
Message 91 of 96
latest reply

IN, I mean, not I'M.

Message 92 of 96
latest reply

Do this. Everyone should have received their message from Ms Stairs about it.

http://www.ebaymainstreet.com/form/english-canada-petition?utm_campaign=canada-post-campaign&utm_sou...

Message 93 of 96
latest reply

Did not receive it.

Message 94 of 96
latest reply

I will then invite you to the letter-signing party as my guest, pierre. 

Screen Shot 2016-08-29 at 11.22.11 AM.png

Message 95 of 96
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

@mjwl2006 wrote:

But there was. Ebay extended delivery estimates as a precaution starting July 2 and then lifted that measure on July 18. Only items shipped with tracking during that time were eligible for late shipment defect- or negative- feedback removal. This was the trouble I ran up against because the measure didn't cover lettermail or untraced items sent before of after that time period. 

In my opinion, if ebay Canada really wanted to protect sellers from unwarranted Late Shipment defects, that coverage would include any order sent AT ALL with a delivery timeframe plus and minus about two weeks from the moment that 72-hour strike notice was issued. We have all heard the stories about maverick postal employees or misinformed postal agents who take what they hear in the news and create their own job actions, not the ones sanctioned by the Union or the Corporation, that can then wreak havoc with the mail. 

Late Shipment defects are guarded as if they are the very foundation of ebay's success. It's not even metric a buyer can judge. I simply cannot see the harm in giving Canadian sellers a few breaks around this. So they might forgive a seller who doesn't actually deserve to be forgiven on a late shipment defect: what does it matter the two times that might happen versus the dozens of times it's truly warranted? It is more important that ebay stay healthy and viable, is it not? Perhaps try to keep its sellers happy when buyers don't generally give a hoot about answering The Question if they leave feedback at all. 

We've all had a rough summer for ebay sales, those who closed as well as those who stayed open. I'd expect ebay Canada to be handed out lollipops to us right about now. And I mean that with no disrespect. No one cares about those Late Shipment defects except the sellers, buyers do not! 

Yes they extended the dates in case there was a strike but if you look at the reply that Raphael gave to your question  on August 3 about your defect he said "Our provisions to remove defects in case of a postal disruption weren't put in effect because there was no postal disruption."

So when you talked to cs they had not been told that there were any special defect removal rules. As far as they knew, the rules were the same as always......which they should have been since there was no strike.

As far as I know Rapael has not specified that shipment delay defects caused by a strike would only be removed if there was tracking and I don't believe it is intended to be like that.

Hey pj, just to follow up: I was completely prepared to stick this to Board Hour today but, somehow, it does not seem as pressing a question to answer as it was at this time yesterday. With an agreement reached overnight, we don't really need to worry about what was or would have been any longer. Therefore, I'm going to skip it since getting to the bottom of this matter no longer feels important to me. If it still feel important to you that it is clarified, you have my blessing to pursue it. 

Message 96 of 96
latest reply