Virgin Seller

clar.cat
Community Member

Hope this is the right place to ask this. I have a set of Akoya pearls that I would like to try to sell on ebay. This will be my toe in the water start to what I would love to be a long term business. Any suggestions you seasoned pros can give me on the best way to start with no history? Thanks!!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Virgin Seller

Not with pearls. Not with anything of value. Buy some things you do not need, at prices you an afford, get a handle on the system. Selling come later,

Photobucket
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

Do a search for them on ebay.

thousands of listings

lot of fake ones also on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Akoya-Pearls-/10000000001726868/g.html

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

Oye! I read pearls and thought, well, pearls. $3 with free shipping? You want to get into that cesspool?

Like Toby says, anything you wish to sell, do a search first.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

Thanks Toby. I have been following the postings for almost a year and am more confused that ever. What are you thoughts on trying to sell things of value on ebay? I know there are lots of fakes and bad actors which has kept me out of it for a long time but it still seems like a good way. Thanks again for your help Toby!
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

Thanks Mr. Elmwood.....I am thinking that I may not have the stomach for the BS that would go along with it all. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

"....trying to sell things of value on ebay?"

eBay is a great place to sell valuable "stuff"  I have sold many items for thousands of dollars each over the years.

However, a new seller should never start with valuable items. 

One learns to crawl, walk and run... in that order.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

eBay is a great place to sell valuable "stuff"  I have sold many items for thousands of dollars each over the years.

Where it is true that you can sell Valuable items, I dont think Ebay is always the best place to do that. Where the big sales do happen. For a single seller it is far and between. If you sell only items of great value, then you may be waiting awhile between sales.

A great majority of E bayers look for deals. If you do plan to sell valuable items and want to sell them at worth then never place it on auction, always Buy it Now. Otherwise you maybe dissapointed

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

"I dont think Ebay is always the best place to do that. "

I agree.

I wrote a "great" place, not the "always the best"

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

Many people are looking for the over-all best. That does not exist. Each place is best to someone for different reasons.
Photobucket
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Virgin Seller

clar.cat
Community Member

Thanks to all who took the time to post here....it sounds like it is a big learning curve and  fun to do....if you have a lot of time and another source of income.  

Message 11 of 11
latest reply