WARNING - CHECK YOUR eBay ACCOUNTS FOR INCORRECT FVF on SHIPPING CHARGES.

Sold an item last night and checked the eBay FVF on shipping

afer the buyer had paid and found it to be triple what it should have been.

Called eBay Customer Service and was told that it was a 'system error'.

Appears that the fee was not calculated on the lowest domestic shipping cost

as per the User Agreement.

Fee was refunded but was told to call if it happens again.

Also, be aware that as of April 13, PayPal has raised their fees for Canadians

when payment is RECEIVED from outside of Canada (i.e. USA).

They have rolled a  "cross border" fee into the charges so fee is now 3.7 % plus 30 cents

instead of 2.9% plus 30 cents.

Maybe you are all aware of this but thought we would post anyway.

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Hi item number:

eBay item number:   201567113982

shipping fee charged: 
free domestic shipping.jpg
Message 21 of 35
latest reply

Weird.  Wonder if its ones that were listed at a certain time

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

I wanted to check last months but it keeps tell me it's in process.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

If anyone needs to double check what the fees should be

go to the "How Fees Work" page

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html

On the right hand side under "Related Help Topics" there is a link to a "Fee Calculator".

As long as you are selling on dotCA you should get the accurate fee amount

when you enter in all the relevant information.

Thanks.

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

I Offer Free Shipping to Both Canada and USA. I Currently list 98% of my items on .ca  
Am I wrong in the understanding that I should never be charged a Final Value Fee on Shipping?
My April invoice has Nine charges totaling just over $10.00.

Items#

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Hi, you should not have any FVF on shipping.  I am not sure what you should do, you could call and speak to a useless CSR and see if they understand and will remove it.  I brought it up at the weekly chat with Raphael and also when I got the feedback to provide for the CSR, I gave a scathing report and gave them my #'s that I shouldn't be charged FVF on shipping.  If I don't get anywhere, I will call ebay again and speak to a supervisor.  

Definitely don't let this go, just pursue it until it gets reversed.  Think of all the sellers that haven't noticed and how much money ebay is raking in. 

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

@ypdc_dennis wrote:

@gwrocen wrote:

Sold an item last night and checked the eBay FVF on shipping and found it to be triple what it should have been.

Called eBay Customer Service and was told that it was a 'system error'.  Appears that the fee was not calculated on the lowest domestic shipping cost as per the User Agreement. Fee was refunded but was told to call if it happens again.

Thanks for pointing out this system error. I'll have to keep an eye out to see if it happens.

Since then, most of my sales were correctly charged FVF on shipping, but 2 were not:

Apr 30 -- ebay.CA listing, $4.10 domestic, FVF charged on $13.23 (to Australia)

May 6 -- eBay.COM listing, free USA domestic, FVF charged on $4.00us (to Germany)

Not impressed. Smiley Mad

-..-

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

I am still getting charged FVF on some items that have free domestic shipping.  It is a hit and miss.  Some are correct and others are wrong.  This is a pain.  

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

"you should not have any FVF on shipping"

Completely with you on this. What an outright rip off on another scam level to generate revenue from sellers. The sad excuse that it will deter sellers from extorting higher than normal shipping cost is a sham.

If they really wanted to bring those sellers in line to appropriate shipping they could do so. It's just another pat on their backs , that they were able to find a little more revenue. If they would put more effort in attracting more buyers to Ebay maybe they wouldn't have to find sleazy ways to make money.

My rant for the day. Happy Mother's day.

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

I just had a look at my activity for May...........

Sure is some odd stuff happening, most have the correct calculation, I did find one that was calculated based on the International rate not the domestic rate (order from Japan if that matters). Other Internationals all seem to be right.

Then I found a real oddity, I had two multi-item combined orders (domestic) this week, on one of them the way they allocated the shipping it looks like the fee should have been based on $15 but it appears it was actually calculated on $14. On the other one there is no FVF on shipping at all (this order was paid for last Sunday and separate shipping WAS charged).

If I get the time I'll go and look at some previous months but at the moment for May it appears eBay has UNDER charged for FVF on shipping!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 30 of 35
latest reply

Well after a long phone call to ebay, they finally credited me with the 4 that were charged FVF on shipping when they shouldn't have been.  The person I spoke to at first stated you pay FVF on shipping paid by the buyer, it doesn't matter what the domestic amount is.  I was able to give her some examples of where I had free shipping within Canada and $7 shipping internationally.  I wasn't charged a shipping fee on those but on others same scenario, I was charged.  

She said that she has never heard of that before.  I told her that it has been an issue and others like myself are having this problem.  She stated that she will let other know.

I got my fees credited and I will be on the lookout for any other FVF on shipping charges. 

Message 31 of 35
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

Well after a long phone call to ebay, they finally credited me with the 4 that were charged FVF on shipping when they shouldn't have been.  The person I spoke to at first stated you pay FVF on shipping paid by the buyer, it doesn't matter what the domestic amount is.  I was able to give her some examples of where I had free shipping within Canada and $7 shipping internationally.  I wasn't charged a shipping fee on those but on others same scenario, I was charged.  

She said that she has never heard of that before.  I told her that it has been an issue and others like myself are having this problem.  She stated that she will let other know.

I got my fees credited and I will be on the lookout for any other FVF on shipping charges. 

Glad to hear that you were successful in getting your FVFs credited.

These incorrect charges should not be happening.

Looks like it's difficult to convince eBay that they should follow their own rules.

It shouldn't take a long phone call to get this issue corrected.

Where are these CSRs located?  They probably haven't read eBay's rules for FVF on shipping.

We spent half an hour on the phone with one rep who even after reading through

the "How Fees Work" page (after he was directed to it)

was not convinced that FVF on shipping should be charged

the way the agreement stated -

"whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option on your eBay.ca listing, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item. If international or express shipping is the only service you offer, your final value fee for shipping charges will be calculated on that service."

(Reference: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html)

That CSR still insisted that the fee was charged on whatever the international buyer paid

even though domestic shipping was offered and was lower. 

He couldn't seem to understand the concept of "less expensive".

We will continue to keep checking our FVF charges in the future.

Message 32 of 35
latest reply

@gwrocen wrote:

"whichever service is less expensive, either:

• The first domestic service in your listing that isn't express, or

• Your international or express shipping service

For example, if a buyer chooses international shipping and you specified free shipping as your first domestic option on your eBay.ca listing, you don't pay any final value fees on shipping charges for that item. If international or express shipping is the only service you offer, your final value fee for shipping charges will be calculated on that service."

(Reference: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html)

Reference for above post should be:  http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/insertion-fee.html

Message 33 of 35
latest reply

It is still happening, I got charged on 10 more items (final value on shipping when I offer free domestic shipping) yesterday.  I called CSR again and again have to go through the same thing.  I gave her an example and read out the reference and she credited them.  But I bet you there are thousands of sellers being charged and not knowing about it and if they did get charged, they probably got the same runaround as I did the first time.  Now I come out shooting with both barrels.  The CSR doesn't stand a chance with me at least on this issue.  I basically told her that she should read the help references every so often.  

Message 34 of 35
latest reply

@musicyouneed wrote:

It is still happening, I got charged on 10 more items (final value on shipping when I offer free domestic shipping) yesterday.  I called CSR again and again have to go through the same thing.  I gave her an example and read out the reference and she credited them.  But I bet you there are thousands of sellers being charged and not knowing about it and if they did get charged, they probably got the same runaround as I did the first time.  Now I come out shooting with both barrels.  The CSR doesn't stand a chance with me at least on this issue.  I basically told her that she should read the help references every so often.  

Too bad that it is still happening.

According to Raphael they are "troubleshooting" the problem.

Did you send your 10 item numbers to him as he requested in the May 11 Weekly Session?

Hope they can fix this.  We still have one overcharge outstanding.

Thanks.

Message 35 of 35
latest reply