What Is Value of Olympic Sterling Silver Set

I have two Olympic Precious Metal Stamp Sets "Official Olympic Commemorative Cover Set", both bought brand new for around $180 each, carefully stored, in original leather folder, with first day cover and sterling silver stamp replica included.  I have the Diving and Running ones.  What would be a selling price for each one please? 

Kathy at eBay A Vintage Collectible
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

"brand new for around $180 each..."

That was then, this is now. Unfortunately serious collectors interested in acquiring these novelties bought them forty years ago.  Today, they are being sold by aging collectors or their estates with few buyers having any interest.

You may try selling them on eBay but it may take a while to find a buyer willing to pay a decent price.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

"brand new for around $180 each..."

That was then, this is now. Unfortunately serious collectors interested in acquiring these novelties bought them forty years ago.  Today, they are being sold by aging collectors or their estates with few buyers having any interest.

You may try selling them on eBay but it may take a while to find a buyer willing to pay a decent price.

Good Luck

snort

Photobucket
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

@tigergirl1 wrote:

I have two Olympic Precious Metal Stamp Sets "Official Olympic Commemorative Cover Set", both bought brand new for around $180 each, carefully stored, in original leather folder, with first day cover and sterling silver stamp replica included.  I have the Diving and Running ones.  What would be a selling price for each one please? 

This is something that would appeal more to a collector of Olympic related stuff than to a stamp collector. The best time to market them would be in the run up to the 2016 summer Olympics and also push (in 2016) the 40 year old connection.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Keep in mind that you will probably not get the original price on items sold as collectibles. Everyone who wanted one at the time bought it.

Collectibles are not investments. Precious metals even less so.

Here are historical prices since 1975 for silver bullion on the LondonUK market. (US dollars)

https://www.silverinstitute.org/site/silver-price/historical-prices/london-fix-price/

The 1980 average was not equalled again until 2010.

But you can turn useless (to you) stuff into useful money.

And yes, push the Olympic connection.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

I sold mine to a metal dealer for silver content about 4 years ago.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Good idea to put for sale during the Olympics, and I will push the fact that they are 40 years old and have never been out of the safe deposit box except for photography.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi femmefan,  Good point - collectibles are not investments, precious metals even less so.  The almost $400 was a huge amount of money to me in 1977 when I was young and just started earning my own money.  I guess my Dad was wrong and these were not a good buy.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply