What am I doing wrong this time? [Ebay.ca vs Ebay.com]

I live in Canada but usually only list my items on Ebay.com as opposed to Ebay.ca.  Don't know .... just seems to work better. Right now I have a new take off motorcycle main seat listed at $400. roughly.

I have included the part number in the auction. If you search the part number you will see the seat listed at $1200-$1600 US.

I made the mistake of not noticing that I was listing it on .ca  It has been 6 days and a couple lookers but not 1 watcher!

What is wrong here?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The problem is that your listing shows: shipping to Canada only.

As such, your listing does not show on eBay.com

To be seen on eBay.com a seller must show a shipping method and shipping cost to the USA,

With less than two days to go in the auction, I suggest you end it and relist correctly.

Good Luck

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

OK  I never noticed that. I am not here often and am not good on details.  I guess this is another reason why I had it in my mind to list on .com.

So normally speaking....if I list on .ca and provide shipping to the US does an item sell just as well as on .com?

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

".if I list on .ca and provide shipping to the US does an item sell just as well as on .com? "

Yes.

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

OK Bud, I do thank you for the input.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

".if I list on .ca and provide shipping to the US does an item sell just as well as on .com? "

Yes.

I will respectfully disagree with Pierre.

The OP should relist on ebay.com in US Dollars.

Why?

It is a motorcycle part and this type of item (automotive parts and accessories) sells better on ebay.com in USD according to the eBay.ca Canada study (Bin -10%, Auction - 5% better on eBay.ca). Even without the study (which I have doubts is all that accurate and just a self serving study for eBay to drop USD but that is another story), I would suggest listing in USD on eBay.com.

The item is an auction, not a BIN,  and having the USD show prominently instead of the CAD with USD price in small font under the larger font CAD price will confuse buyers because the number is 25+% larger (numerically, not the font).

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Well, I did relist on Ebay.com in US dollars.  Been 6.5 days and no results except for 1 watcher. If you google the parts part number that is in my heading you will see the seat dealer-listed at anywhere from $1200 to $1600 USD.   Mine $400-$500.

Still thinking I am doing something wrong.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

@daleastern wrote:

Well, I did relist on Ebay.com in US dollars.  Been 6.5 days and no results except for 1 watcher. If you google the parts part number that is in my heading you will see the seat dealer-listed at anywhere from $1200 to $1600 USD.   Mine $400-$500.

Still thinking I am doing something wrong.

Selling a heated seat in the summertime?   Not exactly prime sale time for that item.

-..-

I would suggest BIN rather than auction. If you're not sure about price, do BIN with best offer. Start high, then adjust if desired.

-..-

You have the same shipping charge for Canada and the USA -- so why not just build that into the price and offer "free" shipping.

-..-

You say the location for the items is Prince Edward Island -- but your shipping for Canada says you are using the USPS.

Which means the Canadian buyer assumes you are shipping from the USA with the usual cross-border hassle.

If not shipping from Canada, then change the item location.

Or, if really shipping from Canada, then use your shipping choice of:

To the USA
Economy Shipping from outside US (11 to 23 business days)
Standard Shipping from outside US (6 to 10 business days)
Expedited Shipping from outside US (1 to 4 business days)

For Canada
Economy Int'l Shipping
Standard Int'l Shipping
Expedited Int'l Shipping

-..-

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

They recommend .com for auto parts only because of the parts compatability feature not being availlabe on ebay.  For the seat, other listings that sold either didnt use it, or only put in one model year, so likely not an issue at all for ops listing.  For some auto parts that are good for piles of model years/different cars using that feature is the only way to make it easy for people looking for their car to find it

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

For me, as soon as I see its listed as auction with a reserve, I move along.  Id rather see it auction at the lowest you are willing to take or BIN then play a game of seeing if the seller is planning to sell at a reasonable price.  One of these sold for $1200~, the others taht show up only a little more then your price.   It probably make less difference with a very niche item like this, but I don't think using reserve is helping any

Message 10 of 10
latest reply