What do I do about this buyer?

I got a message today from an angry buyer who was expecting to get their item before Christmas.  

Now this is the 2nd note from them, the first was quite pleasant just checking in to see if I mailed it and I politely noted when I shipped and that there may be a delay with the Christmas letter rush.  I shipped the item on Dec 4th and it is going to the US.  Is this an unreasonable amount of time for arrival?  I offered a refund if the item does not arrive at all but I can't guarantee delivery with lettermail.  I do give the option for a faster delivery service upon request and the buyer didn't ask so I send out the regular method.

Most people are understanding but I dont' know about this one......looks like I will be getting a negative feedback for this transaction no matter what I do to try and rectify it.

Any idea's?   I already reported them for foul language but this is eBay so I'm sure nothing will get done.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

With all of the extra Holiday mail, buyers should give at least an extra week in time delay (so long as it isn't past the 45 day mark for any transaction) which of course doesn't apply to your case.

This buyer knew full well that Christmas + Mail / Parcels / Delivery = delays. I think their profane language is a prime example of high expectations of others, but low self-discipline.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Considering you are selling into a demographic that runs to testosterone poisoning, I don't think you have much to worry about.

Your 100% feedback might take a hit, but your only neg in over 4000 FB will be dropping off soon, so I don't think you will see any great problems.

I would put the buyer on your Blocked Bidder List of course, if only for the swearing.

If there is a Dispute, since you believe the only problem is the Xmas rush, and since you also believe that you are going to get a neg anyway, I'd say in the dispute that the item was sent on December X by Air Mail and that a faster but more expensive service was offered. Then sit back.

Your Responses are pretty reasonable and make you look better than your complainants.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If your buyer lives in one of the areas that has had a lot of storms recently, there was a message from eBay to say something like they would remove negs for slow shipping to those areas. I can't remember the exact details.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

This is my least favourite time of year to ship stuff for this very reason. Some folks even stop selling this month because of all the hassles like this.

From what I see you've done everything "right" - if you maintain positive/professional responses (just as you've done with the negs/neutrals you got in the past) that is all you can do. There is no sense worrying about the crazies this season is full of them. Do what you can to minimize the risk of neg/poor DSRs as much as you can.

We all empathize as most of us end up dealing with "twins" of folks like this......

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the support on this one everyone who has replied.  I see that the message from the buyer has been removed from this post because I violated eBay policy by posting message from an email....also it was full of swear words.  I will continue to be polite and see how far it gets me......thanks......Mike

Message 6 of 6
latest reply