What happens when delivery address is flooded?

I mailed an expensive teapot last week to Houston TX, they have terrible flooding there. It had arrived at the office there a couple of days ago, and was expected to be delivered yesterday, but still marked "in transit". What happens in a situation like this?

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi triber, can you or your customer call the post office where it is being held and ask if there is a problem with delivery? Have you contacted your customer yet to ask if the flooding affects their area? It wouldn't have been delivered yesterday anyway, it was Memorial Day in the U.S. and I don't believe there was any mail delivery due to gov't post offices being closed.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

msmaggie, the flooding is right in the area where she lives, no replies to emails, but I think the power is out over most of Huston. I am wondering in a situation like this if they would actually hold it until delivery is possible. I had forgotten about Memorial day yesterday.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If the situation is as bad as you are implying - I don't think she is going to care much about the delivery of a package.

Of course they will hold it until it can or cannot be delivered.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Don't do anything.

Unless the customer tells you there is a problem, there is no problem.

She has up to 45 days to open an Item Not Delivered Dispute and 60 days to leave feedback.

If she contacts you, give her the tracking number and suggest that she ask at her local post office. Then ask if she and her family are okay and tell her the problems with floods in her area even made the news here in Canada. Tell her we have the opposite problem with very dry conditions leading to widespread forest fires.

Get out your biggest trowel and lay it on thick.

She should be getting the message that you are more concerned about her and her well being than about a minor detail like a darn teapot.

Heck, you might even be sincere.

If anything happens to her - anything - I'll get really choked up. Honestly, there could be tears.-- Captain Malcolm Reynolds.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Thanks, I have already sent an email and told her I had been watching the news and saw all the flooding in her area, an hope she was alright, and I was sincere! I just wondered what the post office did in situations like this, I hoped they wouldn't return packages;

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Hi 'triber' -- I have actually had an almost identical situation occur when I had a parcel (non-tracked) going right to the middle of the worst hit area of New Jersey during Hurricane Sandy.  Unfortunately there was no clear indication the Hurricane was coming when I mailed it, so I just had to wait and see. 

The area in which my buyer lived was devastated and flooded out.  She told me later she had been evacuated, and that her local P.O. was still standing, but flooded.  The parcel apparently got re-routed to a safer location.  I found this out because when she contacted me once things settled down, to say the parcel hand't arrived, I suggested she contact her local P.O. to see what they had done with mail for that area.  I offered to send another, identical item or refund if the parcel didn't show up at the end of 5 weeks. 

Sure enough, the item did get delivered (to her door) about 1 month after I'd mailed it from here.  So I'd suggest doing exactly what you've done and then wait -- I'm sure your buyer will have bigger problems on her mind at the moment anyway, and hopefully your parcel will find its way to her when things settle down.  At least it's tracked, which means you'll hopefully see when it's in transit again.  

If your buyer does contact you if the item hasn't arrived once things are more or less back to normal, I'd suggest asking her to check with the nearest P.O. in her area to see how the USPS was handling parcels during the flood.  

Neither snow nor sleet nor rain nor hail...  I think it must still apply to the U.S. Mail service (at least it did in my situation). 

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank you rose-dee. I also has a similar situation, but much worse, I sent a package before that awful Tsunami several years ago. I never heard anything about it again, but so much was wiped out.

They are expecting more rain in Texas today, I always feel so bad for the people involved having gone through a couple of tornadoes, I know that the last thing they are thinking about is a package arriving! I hope my transaction turns out well also, I sell very few high priced items, it had to be one going to a devastated area.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply