What makes a "Demand" from a Buyer?

Buyer buys item with best offer with a US shipping address though buyer location is overseas.  Payment is now in, with shipping to the buyer location.  Huge shipping difference, going from $35 to about $200, tracked and insured.  The listing had shipping for NA. and Europe, not the buyer's location.

Interested in thoughts of if this constitutes a "demand" for a change to shipping location, as stated in "Report of Buyer".  -> Buyer made unreasonable demands; Demanded a change to the shipping method or location. 

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I find a lot of misuse of the word "demand".

What exactly is going on? Have you informed the buyer that the amount they paid only covers shipping to the USA?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I have contacted them, but am not interested in shipping to the location and didn't include it in ship to locations in the original auction.  Currently waiting to see if the US ship to address is still valid.  If they still want it shipped to a different location, then the "demand" part is confirmed. If that is the case I would look to have the sale cancelled without fees or a defect.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

@atvds1210 wrote:

I have contacted them, but am not interested in shipping to the location and didn't include it in ship to locations in the original auction.  Currently waiting to see if the US ship to address is still valid.  If they still want it shipped to a different location, then the "demand" part is confirmed. If that is the case I would look to have the sale cancelled without fees or a defect.

So no "demand" has been made. If the buyer does asks to ship to their home location that's still not a demand, in my opinion it's not a demand until they suggest they will take some punitive action against you if you don't comply.

If they can't have it shipped to a location that you offer you can cancel the transaction without a defect by choosing the right reason.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

I have had a similar experience several times in the past. 

Ebay CSRs Ive talked to, called it a bait and switch tactic.

I suggest you write to the seller, and document what has occurred.

Then send a money request via paypal to the buyer for the additional cost of shipping to the paypal shipping address.

I put the transaction on hold in paypal, and enter a tracking number like 001waitingformailpayment.

Sometimes the buyer will pay the extra cost of shipping to their address.

Other times they will ask that it be sent to the ebay address (US). 

In the case of the latter, I send them a second money request via paypal for the US address shipping, and tell them to pay that, and make sure they change their paypal address to the US location.    Once this second payment has been recieved, I immediately refund the first.

I used to refund their first payment, and then send a second paypal money request, however in those cases, they often didnt pay the second money request.

When you tell them to send a second payment before you refund the first, it is more likely they will pay.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Yes - I have had the same situation 3 times in the last month from the old switchero...same scenario in all 3 cases, so I immediately refunded the transaction and sent message. Not 1 of them returned my message because guess what their off to try and scam the next honest hard working seller. Problem is they tie up your merchandise...ugh

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Calm down.

Ask the buyer if he wants you to use the US address, because you do not ship to his alternate address.

Wait for his response.

If he has not responded after three days, send an invoice with the US address and the US shipping fee.

Note that many overseas buyers use a US -based transhipping company. We first saw these in Japan but they are often used by South Korean and Caribbean based buyers. There is no problem shipping to these companies. They send the parcels on to the customer, but you are only responsible as far as the US address.

If he hasn't paid the invoice after four days, open an Unpaid Item Dispute.

Do NOT ship to the overseas address. Unless the address is on his Paypal account you would not be covered by their Seller Protection.

There is such a thing as an Unwanted Buyer. You're covered.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply