What's the use!

73rhc
Community Member
So I buy an item from the US. Seller provides a tracking number through DHL. The item shows up in my regular mail. There is no confirmation of delivery. If the item hadn't shown up, I wonder how Paypal would handle this? So, what is the purpose of providing tracking, when there is no real way to track the package?
Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

What's the use!

Why do you care?

Most of what I ship goes without any sort of tracking, when I get a buyer asking where their package is it's because they don't have it, tracking won't change that one bit.

As for PayPal/eBay, if you want to be a slimeball you can file an INR, burn the seller and get your money back.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"Why do you care?"

That's why I posted it here. Because as a seller, I can get burned, just like you said! Tracking has it's purpose. If you pay for it, you should get what you pay for!
Message 3 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

Why are you worrying about something that 'might' happen. As a general rule, packages that have delivery confirmation ARE scanned at delivery.

The DHL scenario...is this something that actually happened? If the item was received by mail rather than courier, then the seller would have to have used regular mail or DHL Global mail which is delivered by Canada Post.

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"Why are you worrying about something that 'might' happen."

As stated above! As a seller, this would worry me. As I would have zero protection with Paypal! This did happen. Regardless of what the seller used. A tracking number was supplied and then delivered by Canada Post!
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"As for PayPal/eBay, if you want to be a slimeball you can file an INR, burn the seller and get your money back."

I don't know if that's how you operate. But I believe in Karma and the honour system. I received the item and I will leave appropriate feedback!
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"As a seller, this would worry me. As I would have zero protection with Paypal!"

That is correct.

Considering your items are listed at $5 and $10, you would not pay for nor provide "tracking" in any case.

Tracking, like insurance, protects the seller, not the buyer.  Frankly you do not need to "worry" about $5 or $10 items.

Message 7 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"Considering your items are listed at $5 and $10"

What does the initial listing price have to do with anything. If you took the time to look at my listings, you should of also noticed that I list auctions. Not BIN! So your point is what?
Message 8 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

nan*55
Community Member

I buy a lot of yarn from Red Heart. They use DHL. It is always delivered Via Canada Post and it always has tracking.

DHL from US hands over most parcels send to Canada to Canada Post.

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

So what use is the tracking number?
Message 10 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

nan*55
Community Member

If you click on the DHL tracking # this shows up

DHL GM #20734312587196

Customer ConfirmationGM6051130053059567

Delivery by CA Post255320133187469

Weight2.4264 kgServiceGM Parcel Direct Priority

If you click on the Canada post link or enter the number on the Canada post site , you have your tracking.

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

nan*55
Community Member
Message 12 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

nan*55
Community Member

post # 12 was just a copy and paste of one of my parcels. A few numbers changed 😉

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

I should have specified that it was delivered to my mega box. No card from Canada Post. No signature. Delivered via regular mail!
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

nan*55
Community Member

If it didn't require a signature. (most don't)  When you picked it up from your mega box it is considered delivered.

Message 15 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Someone has said I am "obsessed" about the tracking information which is true.

Remember that Canada Post and USPS spend millions (maybe billions) of $$$$ for the so-called technology that include scanning machines and yet they cannot do their proper jobs and ensure that every employees must scan each items with UPC codes.

Actually you cannot miss seeing the UPC codes on packages/parcels at any time, so why can't they scan them and use the scanning machines to scan them from A to B, B to C, C to D, so on??

I shipped many items with tracking numbers the last 4 years and more in 2013 due to being expensive items and noticed that they were almost never been scanned at my local post office which **bleep** me off. 

Why I am **bleep** off, because I was paying lots of $$$ for tracking numbers and I EXPECTED them to be scanned from A to B, B to C, C to D and so on , period!!  It is like going to a fast order drive in and ordered for an A/W mozza cheese burgers and get buns with no meat inside!!  That is not what I am paying for! 

So what happened I printed the tracking information which were a lot with PayPal invoices and send copies to the head of Canada Post and insisted that I be reimbursed for all those $$$ I paid for tracking numbers and they weren't scanned, maybe just one place but not from my local post office.  Needless to say I recieved the full refund which was a huge amount of $$$.

After that I have seen that my local post office has scanned my items since then and not miss once!! 

We need to speak up and complain and made demands that they must do their jobs or else.  "Or else" meaning they must refund for not doing their jobs.  Keep them on their toes!!

Another issue about tracking number is that I found out with a few US sellers that they can ship my items, the small ones like slides, matchbookes, etc., by USPS Lettermail for $1.10 plus $1.00 for tracking and they came with XpressPost stickers!!  For one $1.10 actual postage plus $1.00 for tracking number!!  I was thinking, hey, since Canada Post and USPS has the scanning machines, so why the heck don't Canada Post offer the same thing like offer tracking number for $1.00 for lettermail service???!!!

If USPS can offer that, so why not Canada Post???  I am sure that many of us don't mind to pay extra like $1.00 for tracking number so we can rest and not to worry. 

It is too bad that someone at Canada Post think that they can gouge us by increasing way too much postages and not doing good service.  I think Canada Post is the MOST expensive mail service in the world!

It makes me thinking about why the heck do eBay needs to offer (demand more likely!) to US sellers to opt in the bogus scam like Global Shipping Program (GSP) when the sellers can use cheaper mail services and pay $1.00 for tracking numbers??    Of course many sellers are not aware that they can ship them at much cheaper mail service like lettermail and pay $1.00 for tracking number.    So far I have received 5 small packages with XpressPost with actual postage for $1.10 and additional $1.00 for tracking number for each. 

My past experience with many US sellers, nearly half of them have no idea about it and  most of them think Canada is located like China or Russia not above North Dakota, Washington, etc!!  Some of them even said they don't know how to mail them to Canada as if!  I said if you go to the post office all the time to ship your items to US buyers, it is the same place that you can ship your items to Canada!!  As if there is ANOTHER special post office in USA for Canada???  Sheesh!!

Sorry for the lengthly but I need to vent.  Thanks.

Message 16 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"If it didn't require a signature. (most don't) When you picked it up from your mega box it is considered delivered."

???????

Funny, when I click on the tracking number through eBay, it is still in transit. Please read the entire post!
Message 17 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

"Frankly you do not need to "worry" about $5 or $10 items."

Frankly, I do. I am not a self proclaimed millionaire that can simply throw away any amount of money. Especially when I am paying eBay fees, Paypal fees and shipping & handling costs. If you are able to simply write off low dollar items, maybe your business plan needs to be revised.
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

I would guess that Pierre meant is that $5 and $10 items are less likely than more expensive items to cause a 'fake' item not received claim which is why many sellers do not worry about a tracking method with lower cost items.

But are you saying that you send all of your items with tracking, even if they sold for $5 or $10?

And if so, how many of those items do not show a delivery scan?

I am sure that it happens but I honestly do not think that it is that common.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

What's the use!

honeybed, I believe that the least expensive USPS service with tracking is about $6.50. It is definitely much less expensive than what we have to pay but that just started in mid 2031. It used to cost U.S. sellers $20+ to send a parcel with delivery confirmation to Canada even though we could send one the other way for less than that.

Unfortunately, I doubt that we will ever have delivery confirmation for $6. We don't even have that within Canada.

Message 20 of 37
latest reply