What website to use to include pictures in my descriptions? Photobucket no longer working...

Hey!

I usually include a picture in my listing descriptions. Since a few days ago, I was using Photobucket but they've taken down all my links out of the blue and I can't seem to find another site doing something similar.

I only have like 3 or 4 pictures I would like to upload and be able to include in my listings descriptions (HTML).

I tried imgur today and it seemed to work but am now getting a broken link icon in like 2,000 listings...

Thanks!

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

What website to use to include pictures in my descriptions? Photobucket no longer working...

hlmacdon
Community Member

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Hey!

I tried imgur today and it seemed to work but am now getting a broken link icon in like 2,000 listings...

Thanks!

Imgur does not allow you to use their hosting for commercial purposes.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Just a suggestion, but perhaps you should consider breaking up that wall of text in your Moen faucet listing with paragraphs and white space.

And, as you make new listings, check how they are appearing on a smartphone.

The Rothbury line offers a relaxed blend of vintage design and traditional elements that coordinates perfectly with both casual and luxurious decorating styles. yadda yadda yadda  yadda yadda yadda  yadda yadda yadda  yadda yadda yadda  yadda yadda yadda  All Moen faucets come with a Lifetime Warranty against leaks, drips and finish defects. yadda yadda yadda  Valve 9000 not included in this set. See Moen part number T6205AZ-9000 for kit that includes valve.

There's a lot of useless words in there and they hide the important information in the last two sentences.

Also- It's listed under Tools and Hobbies.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Try here

http://www.iforce.co.nz/

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

Bypass the free hosting and toss it in an Amazon S3 bucket.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

You can put 12 pictures on Ebay.

Is there a reason you want to put 1 on Ebay and 1 in the description.

If you put them all on Ebay, you could store them on your own computer and upload from there to the listing.

Just a thought

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I do what dutchman48 suggests. I keep them all in a folder on my hard drive (which also gets backed up to an external drive) and then upload them onto eBay. No middleman, no worries about another site going down or no longer being compatible, no fears about losing all those beautiful images you spent a lot of time taking and perfecting.
Message 7 of 25
latest reply

As well, I strongly suspect at some point not too far down the road that self hosted pictures inside the listing won't work anymore.

I stopped using self hosted pictures in new listing descriptions a couple of years ago because of this belief and the fact that far too few people actually look in the description anymore.....so they will never see any of the pictures in the description (this became very clear to me when people were asking questions that were answered by the pictures in the description, I finally realized that they weren't looking at the description at all....)

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I'm not referring to item pictures. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

I'm trying to have a picture at the beginning of my items description:

I took a look at Amazon S3 bucket thing but that looks so complicated my brain hurts. As for http://www.iforce.co.nz, it looks kinda cheap - is it reliable and will it allow me to link the picture in my eBay listings?

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

But why do you need a picture in the description? For what purpose?

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

Why not make it one of your 12 Free Pictures?

I suspect that the mobile customer is more likely to look at that than at your description.

Toss Free Shipping into your title as well, if you have room.

All of which gets tricky if you are only offering free domestic or free Canada /US shipping.

On the Furry Frankie puppy, there is a tiny link to imgur which tells me it can't be shown due to errors.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

As they say, KISS, especially for mobile shoppers which is what Ebay is obviously catering to

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I could do that, indeed (add that picture among the free 12 pictures).

However I usually list batches of thousands of items using file exchange so I would still need a website to upload this picture so I can enter a picture URL in the .CSV file I upload.

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

I was thinking it could be a good idea to advertise it in the description as well... let me know if you think it's pointless.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

Have you looked at your listings on a cell phone?

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

I took a look at Amazon S3 bucket thing but that looks so complicated my brain hurts.

I'm confident you can handle it. If you google around there are some good bucket front ends that simplify it. It really isn't that much more complicated than what you are already doing with your dropshipping processes. The problem with using any free hosts is two fold: 1) most are on a path to monetizing since the old world ad support model is now dead for image hosting and you can expect more photobucket incidents, which can make your listings look amateurish to buyers 2) Since you are using image hosting for commercial purposes you'll eventually be banned from almost all of the free hosting services since they don't allow linking for commercial purposes. If you are going to pay for something I recommend S3 as they have the cheapest cost/gb and solid redundancy.

As for images in descriptions? What is your balance of mobile vs non-mobile buyers? If primarily mobile stick your promotional images in the regular images for the listing as others have mentioned. Make it the second image in sequence. 

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Why not make it one of your 12 Free Pictures?

I suspect that the mobile customer is more likely to look at that than at your description.

Toss Free Shipping into your title as well, if you have room.

All of which gets tricky if you are only offering free domestic or free Canada /US shipping.

On the Furry Frankie puppy, there is a tiny link to imgur which tells me it can't be shown due to errors.

The "Free Shipping" image has text in it and is not allowed to hosted in the 12 free eBay pictures. Someone could report it and maybe all the listings with the image will be taken down.

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/listing/create-effective-listings/take-great-pictures.html#quali...

No text or artwork on photos

No text or artwork (such as “free shipping” or seller logos) may be added to photos. Copy that is essential to your listing should be placed in the title, subtitle, or item description.

PS I know there are a lot of eBay listings with text in photos that violate the picture policy and nothing seems to be done about it. Some of those listings if they were GTC listing that started before the new picture policy on eBay was implemented 3 years ago and these are allowed until they end or are revised.

Message 17 of 25
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

I took a look at Amazon S3 bucket thing but that looks so complicated my brain hurts. As for http://www.iforce.co.nz, it looks kinda cheap - is it reliable and will it allow me to link the picture in my eBay listings?

Why not just use some HTML to make a similar text based block to be added to all your listing? You can achieve this with font size and font style. It would also work on mobile phones better since it is text based. No hosting needed.

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@vip-marketplace wrote:

Why not just use some HTML to make a similar text based block to be added to all your listing? You can achieve this with font size and font style. It would also work on mobile phones better since it is text based. No hosting needed.

You would have to drop the box in the image.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

@vip-marketplace wrote:

I could do that, indeed (add that picture among the free 12 pictures).

However I usually list batches of thousands of items using file exchange so I would still need a website to upload this picture so I can enter a picture URL in the .CSV file I upload.

To use eBay File Exchange, you have to host your images for your listing somewhere and enter the URL of the images in File Exchange. Where are you hosting these images? PhotoBucket? You can no longer use PhotoBucket without paying for an account? How do you plan on listing on eBay in the future using File Exchange?

Message 20 of 25
latest reply