What would be your suggestions regarding a new seller that copy your description in order to list it

I found out by luck that a new seller is copying my description for his own listings. What should I do? Any suggestion?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

What would be your suggestions regarding a new seller that copy your description in order to list it

73rhc
Community Member

I'm not sure that there is much that you can do.

Other than being irritating, how does this affect you?

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

"copying my description for his own listings"

Could you provide a specific example?

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

mimicry is a very high form of flattery. Just take it for what it is.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

See my fur coat description and listing 221719167027

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

Since it's unlikely that their coat has the same worn places as your fur coat, I suspect they made a mistake.But, I'm not sure someone would make a mistake like that.  Anyway, I see that their listing has been ended.  

In a situation like that you can use the report listing link but there is no guarantee that ebay will do anything about it.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

You seem to use a template for descriptions, since the same spelling and grammatical errors show up in the three of your listings that I opened.

The other seller may be following your template, but she corrected your errors and added some of her own. For example, her use of ALL CAPS (guaranteed to annoy the reader) and erratic use of capital and small letters when she drops the caps.

I don't think you have a case.

THIS AUCTION IS FOR A BEAUTIFUL PRE-OWNED FUR COAT IN EXCELLENT CONDITION.  THE FUR IS MINK IN A NATURAL LIGHT BROWN COLOR (LIKE A DARK TAUPE).
tHE FUR PELTS ARE FRESH AND SUPPLE WITH JUST TWO small SPOTS THAT I FOUND WITH A LITTLE FUR LOSS  I HAVE TAKEN PICTURES OF THIS.  ONE IS IN THE FRONT OF THE COAT, THE OTHER IS ON THE LEFT SLEEVE.  BARELY NOTICEABLE. ALL CRITICAL AREAS ARE IN FINe CONDITION, SLEEVES, ELBOWS AND CUFFS, BACK AND SEAT, COLLAR LINE AND CENTRAL BORDERS.
IT IS IN BEAUTIFUL CONDITION AND THE FUR IS DENSE.  IT SHOWS NO WEAR AT THE POCKETS OR NECK.  THE LINING IS IN PERFECT CONDITION SHOWING NO STAINS OR RIPS OR ODOR.  IT IS MADE OF A POLYESTER TYPE FABRIC AND IS A TAUPE WITH A DARK BROWN THREAD EMBROIDERY AROUND THE HEM.  IT HAS ONE INSIDE POCKET AND AN EMBROIDERED NAME INSIDE. THE SIZE FOR THIS COAT WOULD BE A REGULAR 12-14 WITH A 40"+BUST.  ALL THE PHOTOS WERE TAKEN OUTDOORS TO GIVE A BETTER IDEA OF THE ACTUAL COLOR WITHOUT AN ARTIFICIAL FLASH.

Dimensions are as follows:
Shoulder to shoulder from the back: 19 1/2"
Total length from the neckline to hemline: 38"
Arm length from shoulder line: 19"-20"
Arm length from under the armpit:  13½"
Total spread or length of hemline: 54½"
Armpit to armpit measured inside the coat from the sewing line to the sewing line (generally in the middle of arm entrance): 23 1/2" (double that for actual inside chest measurement.

Bust measured all around from the outside,COAT CLOSED WITH LOOPS: 45"
Collar height: 5" in back
Closure type: dasco snaps & loops.

I request THAT you to compare these measurements with one or two of your COATS to make sure thIS coat will fit you.  SORRY, BUT I DO NOT OFFER RETURNS.  COMES FROM A SMOKE & PET FREE HOME.

Also she is using her own picture. And only one, not the multiples you use.

I reprinted her text, because the number of the listing will probably be removed by the mods.

Dimensions are as follows:
Shoulder to shoulder from the back: 19 1/2"
Total length from the neckline to hemline: 38"
Arm length from shoulder line: 19"-20"
Arm length from under the armpit:  13½"
Total spread or length of hemline: 54½"
Armpit to armpit measured inside the coat from the sewing line to the sewing line (generally in the middle of arm entrance): 23 1/2" (double that for actual inside chest measurement.

Bust measured all around from the outside,COAT CLOSED WITH LOOPS: 45"
Collar height: 5" in back
Closure type: dasco snaps & loops.

I request THAT you to compare these measurements with one or two of your COATS to make sure thIS coat will fit you.  SORRY, BUT I DO NOT OFFER RETURNS.  COMES FROM A SMOKE & PET FREE HOME.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Pitai45

I know this might not the best thing to say but the Internet is full of plagiarism. I won't worry about one single incident. 

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

mimicry is a very high form of flattery. Just take it for what it is.

This does bother me a great deal.  Some days, I can spend 3 or 4 hours writing up descriptions for a just a handful of listings.  Many of them take a lot of thought and research .... others not so much.  Sometimes I'll want to list an item identical to one I sold a year or so ago.  When I realize that I no longer have the description, I'll think to myself -- oh no, now I have to start from scratch.

So to have someone just swoop in and take your description is more than just a little irritating.

For example, you have wonderful pictures and descriptions for your radios and these would have taken a lot of time to prepare, I'm sure.  Wouldn't it bother you if a competitor just copied and pasted them and then maybe undersold you by a few dollars?

Message 9 of 9
latest reply