What would you do?

I thought I would just run something by everyone.

If got one of those buyers that simply cant be reasonable. His item is late to arrive, and I agree. Something is wrong. It was sent out on the 6th to the u.s and it is stuck somewhere. The buyer is upset of course and I am trying to reassure him that one way or the other he will be fully compensated. Unfortunately that isn't good enough for the buyer. Wants to know right now! Where his item is and to call Canada post. He has the tracking information and I explained that Canada post will only have the same information that we already know and not to worry because in the 30th day I will file a claim. Of course , not good enough! Im a good for nothing, lazy( you get the picture).

I'm am getting hassling mails everyday sometimes twice a day. I've stop communicating with him. He doesn't want to listen.

So I sticking to my plan. I will call Canada post on the 30th day and file a claim. He has already filed for resolution but not yet escalated. I also told the buyer that if he does not feel secure to file a claim.

What would you do?

Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

What would you do?

I would tell them that I would check with Canada Post and that if the package doesn't show up in the next "x" days I will issue a refund.

You have a defect now since a case has been opened, I would not risk a "case closed without seller resolution" which is what will happen if the buyer escalates.

Filing an insurance claim with Canada Post is irrelevant to the buyer.

What does the tracking currently show?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

So I sticking to my plan. I will call Canada post on the 30th day and file a claim. He has already filed for resolution but not yet escalated. I also told the buyer that if he does not feel secure to file a claim.

Only the sender can file a claim and I agree with recped that the insurance claim has nothing to do with the buyer.

I would also give the buyer a date as to when I would refund them if the parcel hadn't arrived. The date I usually use is about 3 weeks after the package was mailed so in this case that would be early next week.

Have you checked the tracking on USPS as they may have more current info? Actually, I would probably try phoning Canada Post on Monday just in case there is something they can do at their end to get the parcel moving.

Message 3 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

I have not had one of these in a long time, but, I tell them that "Your mail carrier has it. Ask them where it is." That slows them down real fast.

Photobucket
Message 4 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

Hi.Just my personal opinion...I had a lot of problematic buyers over the years,tried a lot of different approaches ,but I understood only one thing,when buyer is so unreasonable ,the only thing to do is to refund  at onece , apologize(even though you're not at fault)))and tell'em that if the item will eventually show up,they can keep it for free...of course,that'll not work with very expensive items.Right now ,with this new defect system,that's the only way to survive...Of course it's unpleasant,but I think of the situation like that,in terms that if you would have a real  store how many items would be stolen per month?how much money you would pay for overhead?considering this things we are not so bad on eBay and can afford to lose some money to have less defects.Good luck!

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

"of course,that'll not work with very expensive items."

And of course that is my problem. The item is $90 plus shipping. I am a huge believer in refunding buyers money, just not in losing it. I will refund the buyer if I need to, just not yet.

It is unfair that Ebay will give me a bad mark when USPS messes up a delivery. Should I refund an item because it is a week late on delivery?

What happens if I refund the buyer and all of a sudden the item shows up. There is no way this guy will send it back. I guess its what dollar value is a defect worth.

recped, delivery show

Inbound Out of Customs

Oct-10-14, 21:47 PM

Message 6 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

I would enter the tracking number into US tracking system - I had numerous cases when the tracking to US destinations was better displayed there... 

Try yourself and if this is a case, then you should tell the buyer to do the same - it may comfort him at least a little...

Good luck!

Message 7 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

@neatjerseys wrote:

I guess its what dollar value is a defect worth.

I'd say unfortunately that's about what it amounts to these days on eBay - short term loss or long term ability to continue selling with decent visibility.  For lower volume sellers (like me), it's a critical choice. 

I agree with 'pj' -- I'd try CP on Monday and see what they can do from their end.  Surely they should be able to access USPS tracking information as well.  

However, I don't think that in itself is sufficient.  From your description it doesn't sound as if your buyer is going to be satisfied with simply getting further information on the whereabouts of his parcel (unless it actually shows up at his door).  As 'recped'  said, before this buyer escalates the claim, it would be better if you take control of the situation and refund -- unless the $90 is more important to you than the defects you'll get. 

If I were in this situation (and I have been), I'd do everything possible to mollify the buyer, both in words and deeds.  Send him a polite, apologetic email saying that because it's a weekend and you can't get in touch with Canada Post until Monday morning to get more information, you will be refunding his money immediately (and do so!).  Tell him you do expect the parcel will show up, and ask him if would let you know when it does so that you can re-invoice him for the item.  He may or may not advise you, and may not pay, but it's worth a try.  At this point, in my view the outcome depends largely on how you handle communications.  

BTW, I found in my particular situation that a phone call was a lot more friendly and productive, but you have to be prepared to start the call off with a sincere apology and the right attitude.  If your seller status is worth it, then that effort is also worth it, as there may still be an opportunity to salvage the situation.  

Your other choice is to bypass the refund, call CP on Monday and pass along whatever information you get to the buyer. However, if you do that and the buyer escalates, you'll probably end up having to refund anyway. You'll get a defect plus the case will count against you, and you'll probably get some ugly FB you'd rather not see on your seller record.  

Best of luck with this!

Message 8 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

@block36 wrote:

I would enter the tracking number into US tracking system - I had numerous cases when the tracking to US destinations was better displayed there... 

Try yourself and if this is a case, then you should tell the buyer to do the same - it may comfort him at least a little...

Good luck!

I have run into that as well.

Photobucket
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

Appreciated mr elwwood. I have tried everything mention above, other than refund his money yet. Which in time I will and I have absolutely no problem with it, but this guy! What an ass. As much as its against what I normally do and I would not recommend, I am going to rattle this guys chain as far as I can. its worth every penny. Defaults and/or feedback, its worth it 

Message 10 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

@neatjerseys wrote:

recped, delivery show

Inbound Out of Customs

Oct-10-14, 21:47 PM

How was this package sent? In all the years I have dealt with Canada Post and the very high number of packages I have sent and received, I have never seen that message in tracking. The packages are always listed as being "processed" when they are with customs and "customs" is never mentioned by name.

Just curious as perhaps this will shed some light on what is going on with the package.

Message 11 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

The item was shipped Expedited. I will agree its an odd description. I did call CP today and they see it as cleared customs. They opened a claim and will look into it. My buyer has informed me in his way, that he called USPS and they told him that it is still in customs. Customs is considering it as a suspicious package. What is suspicious of 1 jersey, EBOLA?. Anyway he says it will be stuck for some time and most likely will be sent back to me and he wants his refund right now. Far as I am concerned I am fine with that but I wouldn't mind some confirmation other than a word from a loud mouth  

Ahhhhhh, another day in paradise.

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

I wouldn't think that USPS would have that sort of information so there is a good possibility that he is making it up. I can understand someone being annoyed when a package is taking much longer than it normally does but it's too bad that he isn't willing to give you any time to look into it.

Message 13 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

I would refund the shipping amount now, as between two post offices and customs, the delivery is much later than it should be.   And give a date about 3-4 weeks after the shipping date for a refund.  As far as calling Canada Post, it is more likely to be US Customs causing a delay.

Either way, it's Canada to the US, pretty well as reliable as it gets anywhere in the world.

Message 14 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

Yep.

The buyer has moved into Fantasyland.

Since you can't prove delivery, he will get his refund. And then the jersey (aha! another case of testosterone poisoning!) will be delivered and he will keep in and you will never see his money.

Hmm. I think you will do better as a voice on the phone on this one. Just don't call during any sports event. Or talk to his wife who is probably used to his asshattedness.

Message 15 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

Well here is an update. The item arrived. Good thing I stuck to my guns and didn't refund him.

After being badgered with 30 + emails in 5 days and received accusations after accusations , and then lied to, you would think that I shouldn't hear from again, but oh no. Not this guy. Now he wants his shipping charges refunded for the horrible shipping service. First of all I know I'm getting a neg from him, so why would I bother at this time. Second, why should I pay for what USPS did? If this was a nice guy I would consider it.

Basically instead of a 10 to 14 day delivery time ( Vancouver to Florida ) he experienced a 19 day delivery time. Really terrible.

ANOTHER DAY IN PARADISE.

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

You know. It really ticks me off when I hear eBay talks about seller protection. Where is my protection? Why do I Have to communicate with a bozo that clearly doesn't want to work with me and just wants to be confrontational. Where is my protection from a neg feedback to a situation that was out of my control?

Message 17 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

More Updates.

Of course as expected. Negative feedback left. BUT WAIT!!! I called Ebay, and they removed the feedback citing that since a claim was made by the buyer for not receiving the item, and now that it was delivered , Ebay finds the claim in my favor. So they closed the case and any feedback will be removed. Thank God. Im done with this guy.

I guess I have to retract my incorrect comments above this one

Message 18 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

Good for you,  glad it all worked out in your favour, although you will never get the time back you wasted on that  ...

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

What would you do?

You are so right decal-fx

Message 20 of 20
latest reply