When was the official year that proof coins in sets, were struck for Canadian coins.

Hi Guys,

Can anyone definitively tell me when the first proof set was issued for Canadian coins?  I have been told 1973, some say 1967 some say 1935.  Help.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

When was the official year that proof coins in sets, were struck for Canadian coins.

I'm sorry...when I wrote out post 15 I was in a hurry, didn't think it through and it didn't make sense so please ignore it.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to coins but as I said earlier, the larger coin dealer sites that I checked show that same set as a prestige specimen set so I just can't see it as being a proof set.  

View solution in original post

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

You are correct when you state that  various sellers call it a specimen set while others call it a Proof set.  We will continue to call it a Proof set, as most sellers do.  Thanks for your input only, not the other the other guy. lol.

View solution in original post

Message 20 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

mcrlmn
Community Member

I believe it was in April 1971, with 0.5 fine silver specimen 'B.C. Centennial' dollar coins for collectors; not intended for circulation.

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Sorry, my previous reply was wrong.

In April 1971, the first silver specimen dollar coins (B.C. Centennial) were released  for collectors

1981 was the first year that the RCM issued Proof and Brilliant Uncirculated silver dollars.

The theme on the reverse of these dollar coins was the 'Canadian Pacific Railway Centennial'.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

Just for background-- what are the sets of Centennial coins (1967) considered to be?

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

https://www.jandm.com/script/getitem.asp?CID=5&PID=19

1971 according to this website or online catalogue

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

1967 are nothing more than commemorative silver dollars.

J&M may represent their page as such, but can't provide a Canada 1971 Proof or BU coin... They don't exist.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

murphcrud asked "When was the official year that proof coins in sets, were struck for Canadian coins."

Reading your question closely, the correct answer is 1973.

The 1967 Centennial Commemorative Set comprised of 6 coins & Medallion that came in a black presentation case is correctly called a SPECIMEN Set, not a PROOF set.

In 1973, the Royal Canadian Mint began striking PROOF coins in sets for the XXI Olympic Games in Montreal and these PROOF sets comprised of 2 $5.00 coins and 2 $10.00 coins came in cases made of Canadian white birch with a specially tanned hide cover with a black insert.

Series 1 (Geographic) was issued in 1973. These Canadian coins are legal tender.

I don't know who or why somebody told you 1935 because back then, the highest quality Canadian coins were called SPECIMENS, not PROOFS.

The earliest Canadian coins that were offered as a SPECIMEN set was 1858 (4 coins set).

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Correction to my earlier post:

The 1967 SPECIMEN Set did not come with a Medallion; it came with a $20.00 gold coin. The 1967 Proof-like set in the red box came with a Medallion.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

Thank you all for your contribution to this question.  I believed the correct answer to 1973.  That year was a problem year for the 1973 set as the material (Glue, Cloth or whatever),  used in setting the coins in the Proof Sets, corroded the penny.  Anyone have any information on this detail?   I have 3 of these pennies and all are corroded.  I will keep looking until I locate one that isn't.  For all of you reading this, a business strike and proof strike 1973 penny are different. 

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

The web site you referred me to was one of the reasons fro my post as I was quite certain that it was incorrect.
On a side note: I have noticed several coin listings from US sellers listing coins that are "Specimen Proof" as this is how the grading houses in the US name both our our specimen and proof coins. Sure wish US & Canada would get together on these.
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

murphcrud,

In 1973, the Royal Canadian Mint did NOT make PROOF Sets that contained pennies or cents.

The sets that you believe are proof sets are actually PRESTIGE sets (also known as double dollar sets) that contained two nickel dollars with the second nickel dollar being used to show the Obverse. The coins have a brilliant relief on a brilliant background.

These PRESTIGE sets were struck from 1971 up until 1980 and the coins were of SPECIMEN quality. These are NOT proof strikes.

In 1981, The Royal Canadian Mint "upgraded" the PRESTIGE sets to PROOF sets and the coins in the PROOF sets have a frosted relief on a mirror background.

Reference: A Charlton Standard Catalogue Canadian Coins, 61st Edition, Page 298.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

That, my friend is incorrect.  These are proof coins from 1973 - 1980. albeit, they do not have the cameo effect that the ones struck 1981 onward.  I have these information from Extremely reliable sources.  Charlton has known to be wrong before and we just proved it again.  Google is also wrong about these coins.

Your information about the sets containing two nickel dollars are not the sets we refer two.  The dollars in our sets are in fact 50% silver and are proof sets (see ebay  #151751812313).  There are many other ebay listings for these.

By the way, who are you?  Are you a collector?  A professional grader? Where do you get all of your expertise? 

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

From A Charlton Standard Catalogue Canadian Coins, 61st Edition, Page 298 VERBATIM:

PRESTIGE SETS

PRESTIGE SETS 1971-1980.

When it was first introduced in 1971, the prestige set (double dollar set) contained two nickel dollars, with the second nickel dollar being used to display the obverse. The was also true for the 1972 set; however, from 1973 on the second nickel dollar was replaced with a silver dollar. The coins in the prestige sets are of specimen quality until 1980, and proof quality thereafter.

Finish:   Brilliant relief on a brilliant background

PROOF SETS

SEVEN COIN NICKEL / SILVER PROOF SETS 1981-1995.

In the product mix reorganization of 1981 the prestige set of previous years was upgraded to proof quality.

Finish:   Proof, frosted relief against a mirror background

_________

The coins of 1973 are NOT PROOF coins; they are SPECIMENS. YOU are incorrect, murphcrud.

IF Charlton , as YOU say, is incorrect, then why don't YOU send YOUR "information" to them AND cite YOUR "Extremely reliable sources". Better yet, why don't YOU take credit yourself?

If you still believe that Charlton AND I are incorrect, then why don't you contact the Royal Canadian Mint who produced the coins for the DEFINITIVE answer?

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

According to the Canadian mint -

Proof - Coins with a frosted relief over a brilliant field. Proof coins possess the highest-quality finish for a numismatic coin, and are usually struck twice to reveal the smallest details of the coin's design.

Specimen - A brilliant image relief is struck against a matte or lined background in order to achieve maximum visual impact. Specimen coins are struck up to two times on numismatic presses.

Wouldn't that definition alone makes those 1971 - 1980 sets specimen coins? If they were proof, they would have the frosted finish.

I checked  a few different coin dealer sites and they refer to those sets as being specimen. Are they all wrong?

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

There was a 50% silver dollar issued in 1973 for the RCMP 100th Anniversary but it has the Queen on one side.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1973+rcmp+silver+d...

It looks like the set you are referring to has the nickel dollar that was issued for the 100th anniversary of PEI as it has the RCMP on one side and the PEI legislature building on the other side.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply

See eBay Item #311494922742 and Item #191745898158

These are two eBay sellers who know their stuff and call the 1973 Canadian double dollar coin set a Prestige Specimen Set or Specimen Set.

Those that call this specific 1973 Canadian double dollar coin set a Proof Set are, in my not-so-humble-but-brutally-honest opinion, #!#_%*&#!%__%&!#)_% WRONG.

Message 16 of 25
latest reply

I don't understand your explanation. I have both of these mint sets, one being the Prooflike 1973 Nickel PEI Dollar and the other one Which is a Double Dollar PROOF set. This set contains both the PEI Nickel dollar and the RCMP Silver dollar
Message 17 of 25
latest reply

I'm sorry...when I wrote out post 15 I was in a hurry, didn't think it through and it didn't make sense so please ignore it.

I have very limited knowledge when it comes to coins but as I said earlier, the larger coin dealer sites that I checked show that same set as a prestige specimen set so I just can't see it as being a proof set.  

Message 18 of 25
latest reply

Your opinion doesn't matter as MOST sellers refer to it as a Proof Set, which MOST of us will continue to call it.

Message 19 of 25
latest reply

You are correct when you state that  various sellers call it a specimen set while others call it a Proof set.  We will continue to call it a Proof set, as most sellers do.  Thanks for your input only, not the other the other guy. lol.

Message 20 of 25
latest reply