Why do I have to put my postal code down if I charge a fixed cost price for shipping.

If I have a fixed shipping price or free shipping why should I have to put down postal code.   I have been buying on EBay for many years and must have over a thousand satisfactory deals that I have purchased.  I only have one sales record which was also was satisfactorily completed.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Why do I have to put my postal code down if I charge a fixed cost price for shipping.

Your postal code will not show in your listings.

The Postal code identifies where you live, and that is what does show in each listing.

Too many sellers were not being very specific as to where they live..

such a Welcome Ontario,  or Friendly Manitoba...or Beautiful British Columbia...

With my postal code  all of my listings show Winnipeg, Canada

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Because the buyer has the right to know where her item is coming from.

This allows her to adjust her expectations about delivery time and to consider whether she will be required to pay duty or sales tax on the item on arrival.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Your postal code will not show in your listings.

The Postal code identifies where you live, and that is what does show in each listing.

such a Welcome Ontario,  or Friendly Manitoba...or Beautiful British Columbia...

With my postal code  all of my listings show Winnipeg, Canada

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

If the province or state is stated, I think that is enough information. Unless a seller allows local pickup, I don't think that there is any reason that the buyer needs to know the exact city/town the item is located in.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

True, but how is the bot to know that there is no Friendly, Manitoba?

Since the customer does not see the postal code until he buys, I can't see any harm in it.

And of course, there may be something in there about billing. Or just confirming in one more way that the seller is in Manitoba and not Hyderabad.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Whats the big deal anyone can get anyelse's full contact information on any transaction - all of it.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

I think if I put my city or town and province should be sufficient.
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

"why should I have to put down postal code. "

Many potential buyers search for sellers located within xx kms from their location. 

eBay uses the postal code (or ZIP in the USA) to determine distance.

"Napanee" means nothing to that program; K7R 3H7 does.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply