Why would a buyer their their feedback comments to "private" so they can't be seen by others?

I have had a buyer make a purchase and their feedback says username(private). What would be some reasons for doing this? My first instinct is to jump to the conclusion that they have left significant negative feedback for others or that they are potentially a scammer or feedback extortionist. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Why would a buyer their their feedback comments to "private" so they can't be seen by others?

Many buyers do not want to display what they are buying and how much they are paying (many of them are excellent eBay members)

Seems that recent amendments related to buyers' privacy took care about such a display for all buyers.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

@davenjan2000 wrote:

I have had a buyer make a purchase and their feedback says username(private). What would be some reasons for doing this? My first instinct is to jump to the conclusion that they have left significant negative feedback for others or that they are potentially a scammer or feedback extortionist. Am I wrong in assuming this?

Pretty much. eBay is an anonymous world with made-up names, yet, purchases and sales can be tracked? Some people, for very valid reasons, choose not to participate in having their personal privacy invaded.

When you buy groceries, does the store then publish a list of what you bought, on the internet, for everyone to see?

Pretty soon, FB will be nothing but a counter of transactions.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@davenjan2000 wrote:

Yes you are wrong in assuming this. A number of my very best customers have private feedback. They simply don't like other people snooping on their activity.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I completely understand where you are coming from. It's as if sellers are paraded around town with everything hanging out for everyone to see but buyers can chose absolute anonymity. Personally, I don't trust anyone hiding their feedback, either. It's like walking into 7-11 in July with a balaclava pulled over your face and expecting someone NOT to think you're robbing the place. Why hide? Notwithstanding, I haven't had any trouble with the few buyers I've had who've hidden their feedback. (I do think there should be a way to block their purchases, though. I don't enjoy the double-standard.) 

Message 5 of 5
latest reply